AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Once, twice, three times an MOT

AnnoyingPentium

4 minutes ago, Wibble said:

I can only echo what others have said about safety when jacking but you’re doing a great job. Skodas are great cars and yours is well worth persevering with. I’ve no doubt you’ll sort it big man and wish others your age would follow suit!

Thank you. I'm a stubborn bastard, this is the problem I've got. 😂

It is a nice car, better than the other heaps I looked at for sure. I do think I'd like persevere with it because it grinds my goat when folk get rid of their cars for things that could be fixed for a lot less than they expect, my family are bad for this in a lot of cases. I'm quite attached to this wee Fabia, so I think I'll stick it out...

A second car could be in order though... oh shit, this is how it starts, isn't it?! 🤣

1 minute ago, SiC said:

These love to eat droplinks and clunk over bumps. Check them for play when you're checking the wheels. 

Will do. Thought it was drop links anyway as it does clunk quite a bit, if you can hear it over the console bushes creaking. 😂

34 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Thank you. I'm a stubborn bastard, this is the problem I've got. 😂

It is a nice car, better than the other heaps I looked at for sure. I do think I'd like persevere with it because it grinds my goat when folk get rid of their cars for things that could be fixed for a lot less than they expect, my family are bad for this in a lot of cases. I'm quite attached to this wee Fabia, so I think I'll stick it out...

A second car could be in order though... oh shit, this is how it starts, isn't it?! 🤣

Yes it is! Stick with it and you’ll get it sorted. Fabias are great wee cars (old accent creeping  back in 🙂) Us oldies have the benefit of project cars not being main transport. I have a Skoda for that, so keep at it. I remember when my first Cortina was my only transport so understand it has to work when you need it!

If you replace the droplinks don't do what I did initially and buy the cheapest shit off eBay.... Total false economy.  Had to do them again cos they were knackered after no time.  Get a decent known brand. 

I also had sticky caliper that ruined the fuel economy and it used to get noticeably hotter than the other side

7 minutes ago, Erebus said:

If you replace the droplinks don't do what I did initially and buy the cheapest shit off eBay.... Total false economy.  Had to do them again cos they were knackered after no time.  Get a decent known brand. 

I also had sticky caliper that ruined the fuel economy and it used to get noticeably hotter than the other side

Will take that on board. Ideally droplinks that won't shit theirselves quickly because I can't be arsed changing them often. 😂

I've still to see about a sticky calliper, smol trip away is happening today, so we shall see about it. :)

3 hours ago, Erebus said:

This.

Got cheap droplinks and CV joints for the Aldi and they were knackered again in 8 months.

Went with a known brand a year ago and they're still good as new 

3 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Great news, trekked to Girvan and back with every arsehole in the world in front of me. Still seeing 40+ mpg. Think battering the drums yesterday done something. :)

No you didn't because there were many arseholes in front of me yesterday. Maybe it was a Jubilee thing

Car isn't broken... or at least not any worse than it was. Got a wee trip to the coast today as well, nice bit of clattering up the A78 in the pissing rain to the sound of The Skids on CD.

Didn't spend too long o'er there, but let's just say I get why folk like the bugeye Corollas. ;)

Was driving the car on Friday night/morning on minicab* duties since it was my Mum's school reunion, went into full lock when turning and something definitely broke somewhere. Sounded like a coil spring doing itself in, but I didn't feel anything broken when I stuck my hands up there (fnarr). Ach well, canny hear it anymore (shite hearing aside) besides the clunking of something, the creaking of wishbone bushes, and the really fucking irritating squeaking of the driver's seat. Next up (after getting paid) is balancing and tracking, rear shock absorbers, replacing the brake fluid, and I'll look to getting the front wishbone bushes done with the PSB ones I have. I do promise it's a good little car besides the fact I've let it slip quite a bit mechanically... I'd have another one, because I'm a bit of a masochist it would appear.

589441378_download(7).png.0381d0ada439244740f14a39cc94431e.png

Started a new job as of yesterday... valeting dem modernz. Having moved a few of them around a compound, it's made me realise that I'd rather be driving something very AutoShite rather than the things that have come in. I will say that a Jaaaaaaaaaag XF at a couple of years old is rather nice, but it's no clattery old Skoda.

Speaking of clattery(er) old Skodas, I've heard the sound of something else break when turning again. I don't want to investigate as I don't have the time and/or money to sort out the issues that exist already, never mind more. So will live in some form of blissful ignorance until I have the time to sort shit out.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:12 AM, High Jetter said:

Hang on, where are the oil fields?  :)

Fuck knows, m9. :)

7 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Started a new job as of yesterday... valeting dem modernz. Having moved a few of them around a compound, it's made me realise that I'd rather be driving something very AutoShite rather than the things that have come in. I will say that a Jaaaaaaaaaag XF at a couple of years old is rather nice, but it's no clattery old Skoda.

Speaking of clattery(er) old Skodas, I've heard the sound of something else break when turning again. I don't want to investigate as I don't have the time and/or money to sort out the issues that exist already, never mind more. So will live in some form of blissful ignorance until I have the time to sort shit out.

Fuck knows, m9. :)

It'll be a broken spring, most likely. 

Usually when they break right at the bottom its hard to find the break with the weight on the suspension and the strut compressed and partially hidden in the turret

Just now, RoverFolkUs said:

It'll be a broken spring, most likely. 

Usually when they break right at the bottom its hard to find the break with the weight on the suspension and the strut compressed and partially hidden in the turret

Thinking that too. Sounds exactly like when the Punto shat one of many of them out. 😆

Could also be broken at the top. 

Or a spring is broken and it's top mount has seized. Sometimes they break due to a stiff top mount causing excessive torsion force through the spring, which stresses it and causes it to snap. Then with it snapped and not allowed to pivot correctly, it skips and "boings" around. 

Theres your bit of free, unsolicited, useless internet pub trivia for this evening :)

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up from the last time yous all came here for my inane ramblings... it turns out, springs are intact as far as I can tell. However, the exhaust is clunking like fuck... somewhere. On top of that, the engine does lurch quite a bit too. So thinking a mount now. I'll deal with that later, it's fineeeeee.

Little bit of work has begun over the last few days... took me long enough to start work on this, but not having the money to buy parts was a massive issue. My main motivating factor behind getting this all back together is the fact we're off on a run darn sarf (well, Carlisle, which is south... at least relatively speaking) on Sunday, then next week we're awa' up to Edinburgh for a concert. Following on from that, we're going to the Rewind Festival hingy nr. Perth an' that in this car as well since it's better on petrol (when fully functional) than the Duster is.

Brake servo hose that had split? Fixed it.

20220705_103835.thumb.jpg.2d18d2ed9fd8ffd9a5577600150486fd.jpg

Cassette stereo that you blew up out of sheer fucking idiocy? Yep. One came through the door the other day and I am now back to having radio, cassette, and access to the CDs in the CD changer. Yassssss.

20220705_165137.thumb.jpg.bcc90e9f2d20837df7f66dae55254092.jpg

Death wobble? Fixed it, m9. Took it to Performance Tyres in Ayr for the front wheels to be rebalanced. Once done, I took it for a blast up the dual carriageway. Much better, whole car doesn't shake like a shitting dog at speed now. I see that as a bonus.

20220706_120739.thumb.jpg.721247fbd741dc11cf523aeee13ebca2.jpg

Running issues? Sooking fuel like it's going out of style? Not sorted that quite yet. I've got a cheap as fuck MAP sensor coming so I can determine whether or not that is the problematic part on the car. If it proves to be the problem, then I'll fire a decent sensor in when the other one shits itself. If it's not that, then I'll have to keep looking around at various things on the car. On the plus side, I'm now in a position where I can afford to throw some money at this... probably just in time for me to buy something else and sell this on, or something. :rolleyes:emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Absolutely Fabia-ulous... Now not quite as terrible!
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting shit been going on since the last "update"... or so I tell myself. This is not chronologically as I'm trying to work with a memory that doesn't.

It's still here, it seems to mostly work still.

Been messing about with sensors etc to see if anything worked. MAP sensor (see 'The Grumpy Thread' for my saga from yesterday) seems to have cured most of the weirdo behaviour this car displays, so will order one at work tomorrow.

Air con is being weird. Sometimes works ice cold, sometimes doesn't at all whilst travelling. Weird. Little compressor pulley seems to be growling away annoyingly.

Mostly been using this to potter* to work and back. Got some parts accumulating for it now, but that'll wait till I have time to actually get things fitted. Mostly still got a set of Polybushes staring back at me every time I open the wardrobe door along with a set of rear beam clamps, more on these in a moment. Plus got a Febi branded lower gearbox mount sitting in the boot ready to go on, no expense spared and aw that.

Booked to get tyres slapped on the front too as they're down to 2mm either side. Going for some Falken things from Abbotsinch in Killie, looking forward to getting those fitted now as the Matador things with minimal tread can make things a little hairy in the wet. Can't remember the Falken models, it's a weird name, Ziex rings a bell, perhaps.

So, let's bring things to today which was actually quite action packed... or so I think, at least. Basically it started with @Flat4 messaging me asking if it would be possible for me to be a driver of one of her Ovlovs to her mechanic. I accepted, not actually realising until Friday night that no insurance company in the world would even let me get my mitts on the keys for a 2.4 D5 V70... so there became a mild spanner in the works. Instead she drove one of the Volvos up, and I ran her home in the Fabia. Of course, I made a day out of it by taking my mate to the Falkirk Wheel and that, of course. :D

Anyway, spent maybe about two or three hours in Ardrossan eventually. Got a wee shot of the Saab of many shiters too. Lovely big bus, that is. Still grinning at how that big thing goes. For sale photos were taken by yours truly, think they turned out quite nice with the wee phone.

20220731_144742.thumb.jpg.0bf6bc45b54201728da37a7e99f91e29.jpg

Going back to the beam braces... they came from a lad in Co. Monaghan that I know through Briskoda. He owns both a Mk1 Fabia SDI and a Mk2 Monte Carlo. They're meant to go on the rear beam and strengthen it a bit to provide similar effects to that of a rear anti-roll bar but not quite as stiff. Will wait and see what these are like on the car. Should be good, in theory.

And moving on from that, I washed the car for the first time since May. I like how shiny it gets, shame I'm working all the time cleaning other folk's old cars so don't have the time or motivation to clean my own. Such is life, isn't it? I will admit, it scrubs up nicely for a 15 y/o car.

20220731_172625.thumb.jpg.0f3893b1529598517dd1d654ade270ba.jpg

20220731_172619.thumb.jpg.0bf6e1cf44932eecd5270bf1a2900b15.jpg

Big changes afoot. More to come. Allegedly.

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Absolutely Fabia-ulous... Not bad! Not bad at all!!
1 minute ago, big_al_granvia said:

The Saab can fair shift, had it at 72mph without Netti in the car.. Well 72 or thereabouts. Mind when we had 320's spares donor a few years ago, had it at ton ten (again minus Netti) before I bottled it. Great fun

Got in the car with Netti and she says to me "you'll no need much throttle to get it going" and I'm thinking "yeah right, big old barge like this?!" and absolutely launch it. 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I often canny be arsed writing long update post things on my phone... and this post is no exception. So I'll keep this brief. Nothing new really, a little bit of screeching at the car, low MPGs, and just pottering about really. This here will be a vague attempt at being in a chronological order, or so I tell myself in a blatant lie.

We'll take it from the top...

New tyres... Falken Ziex Ecoruns. Weird name, but absolutely class tyres, you can hear more broken/loose things. I also don't feel like the car is going to skid massively now. Meaning clean trousers for me.

MAP Sensor... following on from previous drama with MAP sensors, I managed to procure a known good one that had been plugged from a BME code engine that had cacked it's timing at 170k miles. That side of things is running fine now, performance is back. However, fuel economy has nosedived... again.

Now got a replacement pre-cat lambda sensor (NTK/NGK) to try on this car as it was also reporting dodgy figures. Hopefully I'll be able to see MPGs that are above 40 again. Will be fitting this on Sunday, hopefully.

CD Changer... following on from acquiring a VW Gamma stereo, I purchased the matching in-dash 6 CD changer, because I'm down with the youth of today and that. Doesn't fit right, so will have to investigate why, but it sits nicely enough and works. So job done-ish.

20220805_200503.thumb.jpg.02da65a89404b443bd5ea346ebc43967.jpg

Cup Holder Hing... procured a cup holder from the same guy who sent me up the MAP sensor, a wonderful chap from Briskoda. It replaces the ashtray, it's easier and cheaper to have a cup holder rather than taking up smoking... 🤣

I'm a sucker for OEM accessories, so this is nothing new.

20220811_202328.thumb.jpg.5e43f4f580a719f2b07e900bd9c99b10.jpg

Squeaky clean... as seen in the 'what makes you grin' thread, I cleaned my car. All proper, like, innit.

20220808_194028.thumb.jpg.eb597cd548d8dbed3f06471818b56635.jpg

20220808_194038.thumb.jpg.5b2dcb6a16c0b4160f9730ccd43ad7c1.jpg

Interior still needs some work by way of cleaning but I'll get round to it eventually.

Conclusion...

I think that's everything. Plan is to just keep plodding about in this until it's replaced (or I'm ready to replace it) and moved to the position of secondary car, or something like that.

Still haven't sorted the weird clunk, messing about with that too at some point. :)