AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Once, twice, three times an MOT

AnnoyingPentium

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's probably time for another update, maybe. I can't remember everything that's happened, but can remember some things, so that's a start!

Anyway, we'll start with how this car went from a quiet vroom to BWAHHHHHHH. Yeah, you guessed it, big fucking hole in that there exhaust. I'm not saying that was hurting economy, but preliminary MPG results from post-exhaust repair would suggest this has helped somewhat. The hole was in the front section, and it was rotten to fuck. No shocker really, the exhaust was replaced about 5 years ago which is fine by me, and it's seen many Scottish winters since then.

It did sound rather amusing though, even if I got dirty looks off of everyone and a noise complaint from the woman up the road. I couldn't have a noisy exhaust full-time on a car though, I'd go mad.

Done some more miles in the car, now over 66,000 miles on the clock. As for the weird knock, I've had a check of every suspension component I can get my filthy little mitts on and everything seems tight, shiny, and nearly brand new. So it clearly had a suspension refresh at some point. All the springs look intact too. It wasn't until I went to check the undertray that things began to add up, it's got a big crack in it, just at the bit where it meets the arch liner. It's possible that it's wobbling about and causing the knocking noise, but will have to secure the loose bit before I can confirm for certain.

The air con had entirely packed in with a delightful* burning smell that seems to have went away with the return of the air con. I shan't tempt fate, however. If the air con does let go, then I'm just glad the electric windows work (panics in sketchy VAG electrics from the 2000s). I've also ordered a tow bar (one for the ambitious towbars thread?!) for the car, so I can make use of the wee trailer I have. Won't be towing a caravan or such-like, as having a clutch is lovely and I'd be unlikely to get it over 3mph.

snippet.thumb.PNG.9783e5cd5f9e1dff32f3152cea9b4dc7.PNG

In addition to this, I was meant to be going out for the day but plans have unfortunately nosedived, so I may have washed the car for fuck all reason yesterday. However, it does have a nice shine to it.

20220901_182420.thumb.jpg.63ab11f22ddd0ecff8b4e76e9ec7a1ec.jpg

So something I forgot I had ordered just arrived today... a set of bloody air horns since the original horn got a bit damp when I Colin McRae'd it through a big puddle I didn't see until I was in it (8pm on a winter's night, burst pipe)... and it would appear, I have clearly fucked up... massively.

20220902_101810.thumb.jpg.fecaefcff29b4d18f1c7b3890197ca90.jpg

Erm yeah, you've seen it too, aye? The plan was to buy air horns that didn't play a tune, so that's great! :lol:

Think I'll finish this here and go and calm down a bit, maybe make a cup of coffee or something.

Feeling like a right fucking doughnut now.

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Absolutely Fabia-ulous... Exhausted!
2 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Laughs for the tuneful horn

To make it one better, I had completely glossed over the fact musical was all uppercase on the listing... I just saw air horns in the title and was like "aye that'll do!" 😂

Took the car to Penrith yesterday. Four up, car was running great...

20220904_125320.thumb.jpg.3d3423ea4b4ed0204c68286e838c5fcd.jpg

20220904_134943.thumb.jpg.a7b3ec2a17435f771c122a8b810a2f1a.jpg

...until it wasn't.

20220904_163928.thumb.jpg.c22746f6b754e4a69ec23708ef52166f.jpg

This came on as we were driving to leave Carlisle. Pulled into Tesco, P0171 on the code reader, running lean. Great.

Drove it home avoiding motorways and busier roads yesterday. It wasn't in limp mode, but knowing my luck it would drop into it or something.

20220904_201954.thumb.jpg.7215685adfe7fb740e709009079361ce.jpg

So tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be... a mechanic.

Screen_Shot_2020-02-06_at_3_21.18_PM.thumb.jpg.193996290a05e4830b68b065796009d7.jpg

Time will tell how all this pans out. It definitely knows I have places to be. ARGH.

Reset fault codes with the code reader. No light for the past 15 miles.

Also... finding a tow bar for this car has been hellish. PF Jones had fuck all, it turns out. Turned to tow-sure, no Witter one, but another in stock. Waiting to see if I hear anything back.

Oh! I also fitted something rather childish yet effective.

20220905_144546.thumb.jpg.8ed84c135931b5b6434c7569a5cd25c4.jpg

Have you guessed yet? Not that it's much of a clue...

Yep, set of air horns... turns out they aren't musical. 

20220905_144551.thumb.jpg.a91248aa9f72a993ec0b8f9887df9599.jpg

Only the smallest of cuts on my knuckle. Stings a bit, but I'll live.

20220905_150503.thumb.jpg.664122f84ae9f2c2f281be0f47f32a94.jpg

Anyway, this is how it sounds...

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Linkety-Link

45 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Reset fault codes with the code reader. No light for the past 15 miles.

Also... finding a tow bar for this car has been hellish. PF Jones had fuck all, it turns out. Turned to tow-sure, no Witter one, but another in stock. Waiting to see if I hear anything back.

Oh! I also fitted something rather childish yet effective.

20220905_144546.thumb.jpg.8ed84c135931b5b6434c7569a5cd25c4.jpg

Have you guessed yet? Not that it's much of a clue...

Yep, set of air horns... turns out they aren't musical. 

20220905_144551.thumb.jpg.a91248aa9f72a993ec0b8f9887df9599.jpg

Only the smallest of cuts on my knuckle. Stings a bit, but I'll live.

20220905_150503.thumb.jpg.664122f84ae9f2c2f281be0f47f32a94.jpg

Anyway, this is how it sounds...

Thats brilliant

32 minutes ago, Poweredbyhopealone said:

How easy was that to fit? I think my fiesta might need one.

The air horns? A bit of a bitch but only because I wanted to avoid removing the front bumper.

Essentially there's the two horns, a compressor, a relay, hoses, and a substantial amount of wires. We fabricated mounts for the horns and compressor and mounted it to the inner wing. It was about four hours work, but worth it IMO.

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

The air horns? A bit of a bitch but only because I wanted to avoid removing the front bumper.

Essentially there's the two horns, a compressor, a relay, hoses, and a substantial amount of wires. We fabricated mounts for the horns and compressor and mounted it to the inner wing. It was about four hours work, but worth it IMO.

Iiiiiinteresting, now I just need to find the time to do it when Mrs PBHA isn't paying attention. Thanks man!

1 minute ago, Poweredbyhopealone said:

Iiiiiinteresting, now I just need to find the time to do it when Mrs PBHA isn't paying attention. Thanks man!

No problem. Just one thing to bear in mind if you end up with musical ones... guy I used to work with bought a car with them already fitted, brought the car home, fired the horns, and the wee lass about two doors up starts shouting "Mum! Mum! The ice cream van is here!!!"

Just now, AnnoyingPentium said:

No problem. Just one thing to bear in mind if you end up with musical ones... guy I used to work with bought a car with them already fitted, brought the car home, fired the horns, and the wee lass about two doors up starts shouting "Mum! Mum! The ice cream van is here!!!"

This can only be a good thing.

Anyway my mum always told me they only played the tune when they had run out?

Did more to this car because I can't leave shit well alone when I should... I fitted the towbar. It was hellish trying to find one since Witter went nope, no matter which distributor I went to. Eventually got a PCT one through Tow-sure, who were a lot more helpful than PF Jones.

Of course, I forgot that getting the rear bumper off this car is a fun* task that requires disassembling the whole rear end just about...

20220910_125907.thumb.jpg.2ec111db85ca1ce3df7f8af67cba6b0a.jpg

I'm a clumsy bastard, as those who know me in person will have realised, and as such, have managed to FUBAR the panel that goes up the left hand side of the boot opening. This is the part number, so I can remember to go and buy one online or get one from a scrappy.

20220910_152108.thumb.jpg.a1e3d917c91e33c3e59fa49c856d51b0.jpg

In order to fit the bolts that secure the towbar to the car, the rear arch liners have to come off, and thats when I discovered some small amounts of rust...

20220910_134616.thumb.jpg.861dc84452b3c0a53b67db1a1ab19a76.jpg

20220910_134609.thumb.jpg.881f18cf36bfeb38d9b96f0043cc16e3.jpg

20220910_134459.thumb.jpg.6e1491398962033f2d797d7a9ccba3b8.jpg

I've covered it with grease for now, it'll do till I can get it cleaned up and undersealed properly*. I've never had it undersealed or anything like that, it's still as-is from when Skoda churned it out almost 16 years ago AFAIK.

Anyway, the finished product is here, as photographed in the Tesco car park in Auchinleck.

20220910_194831.thumb.jpg.4b4160cd122c4acfb0f579437641bc6f.jpg

I've still to wire in the electrics since I haven't got all of the parts for it yet, and I need to dig the trailer out of my Grampa's garage, and I've disturbed the wiring to my parking sensors so those have stopped working... one crisis at a time and that.

Digging the trailer out is the part I'm dreading the most...

20220905_122125.thumb.jpg.b11e8327dcdbd0e9f2bb74cab63f0b5c.jpg

20220905_130342.thumb.jpg.238f980263a5263fcf5b777785c4530d.jpg

Overall, today has been a nice wee success though. I'm happy. :)

• AnnoyingPentium changed the title to AnnoyingPentium's Adventures - Absolutely Fabia-ulous: A 'trailer' of what's to come...
Just now, davehedgehog31 said:

Good work!

Cheers! So much done to the car it's unbelievable, but it's served me well for nearly 16,000 miles now despite being a little stroppy more recently. So maybe it's worth it. :)

Having a towbar on a car makes it infinitely more useful. Just did a trip yesterday that would have required hiring a van, and using the car had the towbar not been present. Four people, two dogs and too much weight for the roof bars - but the Octavia took it all in its stride, and even topped 50mpg doing it.

Good work.

27 minutes ago, Sham said:

Having a towbar on a car makes it infinitely more useful. Just did a trip yesterday that would have required hiring a van, and using the car had the towbar not been present. Four people, two dogs and too much weight for the roof bars - but the Octavia took it all in its stride, and even topped 50mpg doing it.

Good work.

Thanks. It definitely does help. It's more for tip runs as disassembling the car is a pain in the arse to deal with every time I want to load stuff into it.

24 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Don’t bother digging that out just buy my little Erde trailer, you know it makes sense. 

...tempting... 😂

13 minutes ago, Sham said:

Mines an Erde, they tow so well for such a small trailer. Hardy little things too.

By the time you buy a number plate, and add lights to that trailer that's deeper in that garage than Prince Andrew in an American teenager, the Erde is the better option.

There's the lighting bar thing (I've forgotten the name, I'm doing well this morning 🤣) sitting next to it. My Grampa has started clearing the crap off it too, so we'll see where this goes. If it doesn't go to plan, then Erde it is... :)

Number plate related issues are getting sorted on Tuesday as I'm just going to pop into the motor factors here and get one made up.

Well done on getting the tow bar sorted mate. I used to only tow larger trailers so only bothered having a tow bar on my 4x4’s, but since getting a smaller trailer like your grampa’s I’ve realised how bloody useful they are and that all cars must now have a tow bar in order to be useful 😅 It just makes life easier when you’re doing messy things like gardening, moving car parts, and other jobs that would normally destroy the interior of your car.

good luck with digging it out, that looks nicely buried 😅

24 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

good luck with digging it out, that looks nicely buried 😅

Been there since whenever 2009 was... he's used it as a work bench for some time. It's been on axle stands to stop the tyres getting flat spots and that too.

The main motivation was to stop the inside of my car getting wrecked, so it should help with that. :)