The Missymobile: Ford Focus - Zoflora to the rescue

Missy Charm

19 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Fancy.  Must fancier than the 1.4 Studio with no options ticked that graced our drive for several years.  Only moved it on a couple of days ago and then only to relatives.

Nice cars, these.

I’ve been knocking around in ours past few days and you are right they’re ok. Nothing fancy, just basic heater, no six speed box but it just does the job. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I’ve been knocking around in ours past few days and you are right they’re ok. Nothing fancy, just basic heater, no six speed box but it just does the job. 

There really aren't many of them knocking about.  They feel like an 'old-fashioned' drive in many ways but other than the completely lack of acceleration, they're a nice steer.

1 minute ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

There really aren't many of them knocking about.  They feel like an 'old-fashioned' drive in many ways but other than the completely lack of acceleration, they're a nice steer.

The 1.6 was ok once it got up to speed on the motorway. Performance as you say isn’t a strength but in this day and age sometimes you want the motoring equivalent of Chicken Kiev, chips and peas. Not going to bowl you over but cooks in 20 minutes and does the job. 

Just now, Missy Charm said:

Oh, it does...

Annoyingly mine has a ‘dead zone’ down the middle.

Think the clutch switch sensor is causing problems on ours, when you shift gears it hangs on to the revs a bit, the throttle body is clean and no learned values were showing a problem on Forscan. I’ll clean the MAF anyway as it’s a ‘free fix’ if you like. But I think the clutch switch is the culprit especially give the Cruise Control is out of action - the clutch switch is one of the inputs to this. 

Really did speak too soon singing the praises of the Focus. Ours has just dumped its coolant tonight, coolant everywhere. Looks like thermostat housing which is a ridiculous £60 on the Ti-VCT and the obligatory drive belt that you chop off to get the alternator out. FFS...

Got it all off now just need to pick up a new thermostat housing, coolant and belt tomorrow. 

38 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Ace car. Oddly I have never, ever, ever had a Focus. I have no idea why. 

How very strange.

You're missing out. Should have been your new years resolution to buy one. If we ever meet at FOD or at any other forum meet you are welcome to have a go in Eccles 

• 2 weeks later...

MOT passed and car serviced.  Advisories issued for broken exhaust hanger and worn bushes in the lower front suspension arms, both issues now fixed; further advisories for a small oil leak and rust on the rear road springs, left alone as hardly seemed worth the worry.  Good to go for another year, especially as the insurance has now been renewed.  

Great cars, we've had a few MK2 Focus in the family, and the 2.0 petrol is great - we have one currently, as a Ghia saloon (at the time it was cheaper than the hatch, presumably because less practical and more giffer)

Our experience has been that they're pretty solid for being 'just a car' - reliable, economical, safe transport that gets the job done as long as you do the basics of looking after them.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

The 2.0 petrol was fantastic in those, the car light enough that the engine wasn’t working very hard so economy isn’t as bad as you’d think.

I've actually found the 2.0 to be more economical than the 1.6/1.6 Ti-VCT (purely my own experience of course, could be down to the way I drive it) - our old blue 1.6 Ghia hatchback still soldiers on with the in-laws, and my sis sold her 1.6 Ti-VCT Ghia Saloon a couple of years back (it was in Verdigris!) but that served her very well.

They're not perfect cars, with niggly common faults - ours currently has a boot that gets wet when it rains - but they're pretty good value.

I used to have pink plastic floor mats.  Unfortunately the driver's side mat has split, which allowed dirt to pass through to the carpet below.  That mat was, therefore, pointless.  The solution to Katastrophic Kar-Mat Kollapse Gate was to buy a new set.  An unrelated trip to B&M to look for a potato peeler was unsuccessful, however did turn up a set of RAC branded car mats.

20220125_124219.thumb.jpg.4bc325e51858ec6caa114100e274d93f.jpg

The price was reasonable and they are BRITISH.  

20220125_125714.thumb.jpg.26623888e23082de4713b1d54ca0b7c7.jpg

20220125_125722.thumb.jpg.c1123575269c8a072fafa3a6094a7018.jpg

Now in place.  The pink ones were nicer looking, however it's nice to have carpet mats back in the car.  

• 1 year later...