But doesn’t affect way car runs m8...

sierraman

I once viewed a Saab 9-3 being sold by a home trader. His wife called during the test drive 'I don't think he's really interested, seems like a timewaster'. 

Just before taking the call he'd been telling me how there's no point servicing a car that old (probably about 15 years old then), just run it into the ground, and I think I must have pulled a face.

Suffice to say, etc etc

Back in 2010 I went to see a white 1.9 205 GTI and traveled a fair distance to see it, foolishly based on how it looked in the advert and the sellers decent description when I spoke with him.

I’d been on the hunt for a nice 205 at the time and knew what I wanted. Specifically asked if it had any work done and was good where they go bad... asked about the rear quarters as they go bad etc, and the seats... he swore it was a minter and it was perfect.. not good or fair but perfect. 

He was a home dealer. I shit you not! This thing was a proper shit box. Usual rotten quarters above the glass and down at the sill etc, fukked seats with fukked bolster, and generally an unpleasant ripply and tatty car to look at.  This thing wasn’t especially cheap either. Dealer proceeded to tell me that it had a thermostat change and a coolant flush as it was running hot... but it was perfectly fine now.... The basturd had the cheek to look surprised when I said it wasn’t the same car as depicted in the advert..... He claimed the camera was broke on his phone and had no other option but to use example photos.. I was fit to be tied!

I stated that during our earlier correspondence he claimed the car had no faults...  and  swore it wasn’t rotten... The quarters were badly filled full of filler and had a blow over. They were a totally different shade of white! I was not happy... and wasn’t being harsh.. it was proper shit. Told him I’d driven almost 100 miles to look at this shit heap. “You have fuking wasted half a day for me. That’s not the car I came to see”. Turned on my heels, got in my immaculate Vectra B GSI and drove off without saying another word.. 330484BA-F190-465C-8639-3E9C45313CC6.thumb.jpeg.26ff2e6aa152d6a437acf84d36a402a6.jpegI struggled to find a decent 1.9 205 GTi at the time and ended up buying an absolute minter of a Clio 172. Genuinely one of the best cars I’ve even owned.

2C71AEF0-6425-4E41-8C73-DF233532ABB1.thumb.jpeg.7f8a5b6a2e926d2717df7ce8fb2b94d6.jpeg

Due to the xmas eve destruction of my Astra I have needed a cheap car quickly. Notable thigs are -

A lot of dealers trade ins  that would have been £500 / £600 a year ago at £1200 / £1400 now with average of one and a half months mot tests.

Lots of cars with DMF Faults ( But no issues there they say )

Volvo with no problems except a code on dash not to be worried about. It was for some dealers emissions / dmf fluid warning.

Astra H with no mot at top money - Because it will go straight through. Well mot it then!

Toyota Auris - Looked Mint in the pictures / Glowing write up. Home car trader - Used it for scrap runs after picturing it. Oil stained interior /  Reversed into something too. Shocked I picked up on that and did not want it.

You could generally Bombard this thread with most of the adverts from Facebook marketplace, car prices are absolutely ridiculous at the moment, I wonder how many of the sellers are actually getting the prices they have advertised for?

I really do hope car prices settle down to a somewhat normal level again, or is this the new norm? £1k+ for absolute heaps makes you not even want to look at cars in that price range anymore.

£2k for something worth having in my opinion. It’ll come down in a year I bet, when inflation knocks on the door of 5% and mortgages on these houses bought at 95% LTV go up. Obviously in this day and age most are on a fixed rate so the immediate effect isn’t felt like it was when everyone was on the variable or interest only.

"Bought it for the wife/girlfriend/daughter but she doesn't like it"

- because it left her stranded every time she went out in it, or because it wouldn't start in the first place? Or was it because it leaks like a sieve and the heater's fooked so it won't demist?

Other trivial* faults are available.

A lot of these selling cars that’s got obvious problems that are going to manifest themselves must have apples  for bollocks. Most people might take it on the chin and go through trading standards or whatever, but you run risk of some nutter coming back and caving your head in. 

2 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

"Just needs a cam belt as it's snapped. Ran A1 prior"

My personal favourite is.

'Selling as a non runner, had it for 4 years and it never gave me an issue, really reliable, never once failed to start before the problem'

Like it matters now 😂

I just read it as he ran it into the ground, never replaced anything or serviced it and now it's probably all fucked. Would rather hear it had some issues, lots of bits were replaced but this was a new problem and he pulled the plug.

58 minutes ago, rainagain said:

My favourite “no MOT but it will pass no problem “. Bonus chuckles if you run the number plate and find it it had a two page failure list the week before the ad was placed. 

It's hilarious how there's so many people out there who don't know the mot history site exists. Can catch some whoppers out using it 

On 1/1/2022 at 12:24 PM, greengartside said:

Might just be me, but any advert with ‘green slip only’, ‘just bought it and waiting for v5’ or any reference to an absence of a v5 usually means the car is fucked and it’s being sold on in a hurry.

went with a mate to view a dark blue maestro, wernt bad, usual plastics crumbling, headling falling and rear archs rusty etc ... expecting this.. but the seller couldnt produce a v5, cock n bull story about in post,  then it was his wifes and she got it, but was out... eventually he admitted he was selling it as to teach his now apparently separated.... told the seller we'll pass as dont wanna get arrested  for handling possible stolen goods...

3 hours ago, aldo135 said:

This one ticks a few boxes… 

I miss the Rover ads that were plastered with “Honda/BMW engine M8”  regardless of what was actually powering it! 

05D7CCA2-50B5-45DD-A965-7C2E2B4A9C6D.png

'Was going to use it as a retro ride but ain't got time to use as too busy being an adult lol' 

Seller hasn't done a single days adulting in his life, too busy being a wanker. 

I can understand the prices of 1 - 3 year old cars being silly due to the waiting times for new. However I am not sure how this suddenly makes a 10 year old insignia or mondeo worth £5k. There aren't many people wanting  a car that old.

I have noticed a lot of stuff being offered by traders has previously been subject of an insurance claim - I can remember a time they would never have been punted on.

2 minutes ago, Bren said:

I can understand the prices of 1 - 3 year old cars being silly due to the waiting times for new. However I am not sure how this suddenly makes a 10 year old insignia or mondeo worth £5k. There aren't many people wanting  a car that old.

I have noticed a lot of stuff being offered by traders has previously been subject of an insurance claim - I can remember a time they would never have been punted on.

Depends, there’s a guy local to us that sells dealer P/ex on, think he works at Ford, all of them are CAT N. Perhaps they can’t sell them on by other means, I know if you work at a main dealer sometimes you can purchase up to X number of cars per year that have come in P/Ex. All of them are crocks of shit though, most recent was a Mk3 Estate with the DMF rattling. Straight away a £6-700 job before you discover the injectors/pump are failing. £1500 again he wanted on it which is almost extortion. 

I don’t get why they’re charging such rates for 15 year old diesels which realistically have a very short life expectancy in anyone’s hands subject to garage bills. 

34 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Depends, there’s a guy local to us that sells dealer P/ex on, think he works at Ford, all of them are CAT N. Perhaps they can’t sell them on by other means, I know if you work at a main dealer sometimes you can purchase up to X number of cars per year that have come in P/Ex. All of them are crocks of shit though, most recent was a Mk3 Estate with the DMF rattling. Straight away a £6-700 job before you discover the injectors/pump are failing. £1500 again he wanted on it which is almost extortion. 

I don’t get why they’re charging such rates for 15 year old diesels which realistically have a very short life expectancy in anyone’s hands subject to garage bills. 

I agree. If your 2011 diesel commits suicide and you cannot get it fixed you also have the added worry of paying for the thing - there are not many people that have £5k lying about just to spunk on a motor. Usually people sign up for the never never which is bad on something this old.

There is a reason people want brand new.

5 hours ago, Bren said:

You should see some of the “HPI Clear” stuff being revealed on here:

https://m.facebook.com/102698181561295/

55 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

You should see some of the “HPI Clear” stuff being revealed on here:

https://m.facebook.com/102698181561295/

I like this kind of Facebook page but it doesn't differentiate between the cars that have been properly repaired and the back street cobbled together jobs. I'd rock another cat c car(previous was an e34 M5)  but it all depends how it was fixed

18 minutes ago, dome said:

I like this kind of Facebook page but it doesn't differentiate between the cars that have been properly repaired and the back street cobbled together jobs. I'd rock another cat c car(previous was an e34 M5)  but it all depends how it was fixed

That’s fine if you know what you’re buying but the point with these is they are for the most part unrecorded and being sold as straight HPI clear cars.

If they were sold as damaged / repaired fair enough but these are being sold by dealers (including main dealers) with no disclosure of the history made in the ads. That’s a cunt’s trick.

11 minutes ago, Rod/b said:

That’s fine if you know what you’re buying but the point with these is they are for the most part unrecorded and being sold as straight HPI clear cars.

If they were sold as damaged / repaired fair enough but these are being sold by dealers (including main dealers) with no disclosure of the history made in the ads. That’s a cunt’s trick.

Sorry, I should've differentiated between back street cobbled together and main dealer cobbled together.  There's cunts everywhere selling stuff like this, some just have nicer coffee machines.