Jump to content

Cookies 43 in 12 month EFE bus challenge


Cookiesouwest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Back in 1989 when I was still a teenager, I started collecting EFE diecast models. 

For 7 yrs I bought every bus and coach they issued.

Then I got into a bit* of financial trouble, stopped collecting and eventually sold the collection to raise some funds, cause I was very very brassic.

I miss my collection, but have been resisting starting again for years, because I like to have complete sets (bit OCD and like lists). Buying every bus and coach they have ever issued would be very expensive and not appreciated by domestic management.

But a couple of weeks ago, I found myself in a model shop in Hexham (visiting MIL) and they had this for a fiver.

20211214_144323.thumb.jpg.b21e59527a99111401a3de5763a640ef.jpg

So I bought it :)

Then I bought this off ebay.

20211213_103208.thumb.jpg.99edf271681bc66be866a7c40f1d16fc.jpg

But it was not as described, with a knackered rear wheel

20211213_103250.thumb.jpg.42e4a73330f78b425d2e3ea94090bdff.jpg

So that will be going in the bin and I will have to buy another.

To try and restrain myself a bit, I have decided to try and purchase every EFE model ever released in local liveries ONLY. In 12 months.

Bristol Tramways, Bristol Omnibus, Bristol Greyhound, Bath Services, Citylink, Badgerline, First Group.

My research (if correct), gives

39 EFE code 1 models

2 EFE code 2 models (for London Transport Museum).

2 EFE code 3 models ( LBRT models for Warminster Bus Annual Running Day).

43 total. Full list tomorrow, cause I'm knackered and typing them all out will take bloody ages.

I know that I kept maybe 2 or 3 when I sold my collection, because I couldn't part with them, which gives me a start. Will check the parents loft at weekend, when I visit.

Research also indicates that some of the models are rare as unicorn jizz, so 12 months sounds a long time, but it should be a reasonably stiff challenge.

Bonus is that it will also stop me buying too much chod in 2022, that will make domestic management happy. Till she finds out how much I've spent on model buses lol

 

Edited by Cookiesouwest
Totals updated
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EFE models are great, I have loads although only a fraction of what I used to. They're robust little things, capture the shape and features of the buses very well and the paint job is always well done. Pity Bachmann basically killed them off after buying them over in 2016.

Bristol area buses are always well catered for so you shouldn't encounter too many rarities. 

I have the same Dennis Dart which I got from @Datsuncog, its one of my favourite castings from them. The Leyland National and the Alexander Y Type are also fantastic.

Enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

EFE models are great, I have loads although only a fraction of what I used to. They're robust little things, capture the shape and features of the buses very well and the paint job is always well done. Pity Bachmann basically killed them off after buying them over in 2016.

Bristol area buses are always well catered for so you shouldn't encounter too many rarities. 

I have the same Dennis Dart which I got from @Datsuncog, its one of my favourite castings from them. The Leyland National and the Alexander Y Type are also fantastic.

Enjoy!

3 or 4 of the code 1s seem difficult to find.

The code 2s - only 1 sold on ebay in last 12 months.

The code 3s - 1 on ebay recently. The other, only add I could find was from many years ago. So unicorn jizz.

So I think the majority will be easy, but the last few incredibly difficult.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The postman arrived with a delivery.

I'm happy. This is one of the rare ones. Only one advertised for sale in donkeys years and I bagged it a couple of days ago.

Seller originally wanted 29.99 but offered it to me for 19.99. Nice. Because its worth what he originally wanted.

Code 3 model by LBRT for Warminster Vintage Bus Day. 100 made. Model number WR06B of a Bristol RELH DP. 

20211216_100353.thumb.jpg.3d3c0bf0c753c047446e59e5ee9b2057.jpg

20211216_100416.thumb.jpg.5abce8faba9ac695e5ddec65882afb7d.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ramrod approves, good luck!

 

I'm trying to restrict new purchases to film and TV replicas at the moment, or cars I've owned, or... or... yeah, the exceptions mount up, lol.  With the two incoming American Graffiti cars I've just had to rearrange my 1/18s, and I either need a new additional cabinet, or to move on a few.  I know which I would prefer, but where am I going to put it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

You might like my 'Shite in Miniature II' thread :)

I do. But its mostly cars and wanted a thread to specifically document my progress. Didnt want to clog your thread.

Oh and I know I have quite a few non bus models in parents loft.

They want it cleared, so will be offering them all out cheap on AS. Will use your thread if that's allowed.

Lots of MOY which are worth less than the postage :( and some oddities.

Sadly I sold all my Brooklin Mint diecast, when the EFEs went. Looking at Ebay wish I had managed to keep them, along with all the Corgis and Dinky's that went to new homes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Cookiesouwest changed the title to Cookies 43 in 12 month EFE bus challenge

Went to parents house for a rummage and besides far more models than I remembered, found two that help my challenge.

13901 - Bristol Lodekka FLF in Bristol Omnibus Livery

20211216_204614.thumb.jpg.45e0f6c593d4a5f7ef4fa0e875ab3e15.jpg

20211216_204646.thumb.jpg.6e463f117a5fc232206d6df8d049cdb3.jpg

And

13902 - a code 2 model for Beatties (anyone remember them?). Exactly the same, but with advertising.

20211216_204928.thumb.jpg.ed21485c62856582f12ec13920fed44f.jpg

I'm regarding the rummage as a success :)

Also found was 

14401 - Leyland National MK1 short in Greenline livery. I remember keeping this as I really liked the livery.

163968818840249614671033999447.thumb.jpg.baa7cf8d92d4f99e1a183b9b1142cc31.jpg

16396882228112205778614454737933.thumb.jpg.c16a2c7e7dbb5c3bd76628d929019266.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well its been a busy day.

As well as the 40 mile round trip to parents, which did yield two on my list, I've been busy on the tinternet.

Agreed a deal with another collector to take 10 models. 115 quid plus postage, but if bought separately they would have been about 230. I didn't want to buy this many models or spend this much, so quickly, but when opportunity knocks you gotta take advantage.

Also found one of the 4 rarest on my list. Only one for sale anywhere in UK and although pricey at 30 quid delivered, also had to be done. Because the chances of another coming up for sale are remote.

Also over last couple of days, bought 4 more from ebay.

So now have 15 in transit to me.

Think its best if I try not to buy anymore till after Christmas :)

More tinternet sleuthing has revealed, that of the two rarest on list, only 1 has come up for sale in last 12 months. One bloody week ago on ebay and I missed it :(

Cannot find any trace of the other, ever being sold by anyone, anywhere (except the original London Transport Museum shop, but they sold out 8 yrs ago (ish)).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For rare buses £30 is still OK.

EFE released 4 different Scottish Bus Group liveried Alexander Y Types in 2012 with their new short windowed bus version of the casting.

The Midland and Central ones are incredibly hard to find and now command well over £100, probably more. I'm just glad I got my Midland one at retail price when they were first released.

 

Screenshot_20211216-233616_eBay.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

For rare buses £30 is still OK.

EFE released 4 different Scottish Bus Group liveried Alexander Y Types in 2012 with their new short windowed bus version of the casting.

The Midland and Central ones are incredibly hard to find and now command well over £100, probably more. I'm just glad I got my Midland one at retail price when they were first released.

 

Screenshot_20211216-233616_eBay.jpg

I am very glad, I don't have a thing for Y types. That would be painfully expensive

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's only the Scottish Bus Group ones, the rest of the range are priced more or less the same.

BTW as you are interested in Bristol area buses, you might like the book that was written about First Bus (as it was known in 1997 when the book was published). It describes the timeline of events leading up to the formation of the Company with lots of detail and pictures (mainly black and white) of the firms that were bought up by both Badgerline and GRT prior to their merge to form First Bus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good to see you getting back into the diecast swing again!

I'm not sure if you were lucky or unlucky to miss the market stall's wares over the summer...1644818689_IMG_20210430_0756582.thumb.jpg.93fc0dc216191dffa8023b939ea10dc5.jpg

1714316828_IMG_20210430_0807032.thumb.jpg.00199bf25519dbb5e652fc80495d9857.jpg

916890291_IMG_20210430_0813032.thumb.jpg.ee8038d86236fa1b68bbb5a2cbe5c3f3.jpg

1831519410_IMG_20210430_0812012.thumb.jpg.1c8e3d3349219b3909e8c197d2c05c62.jpg

580899674_IMG_20210430_1045362.thumb.jpg.26770b640b1c7c649cc9437b915a206e.jpg

941762063_IMG_20210514_0808042.thumb.jpg.9c1496fbcdb919ca1afad33e6e6cba26.jpg

1746651819_IMG_20210521_0807032.thumb.jpg.abc97d9b232b755759a1471a789ee9b6.jpg

1428227558_IMG_20210611_0807552.thumb.jpg.a30afc17888646a355ec9cff8b199fed.jpg

1806659589_IMG_20210827_0807502.thumb.jpg.5733e7299aeb0d1eeca6ccc1409ebda9.jpg

I worked in a model shop for a few years in the mid/late '90s - we sold a lot of EFE models, though buses weren't really my thing and so I've not as much recall as I'd like of what we used to stock back then.

I think I did snap up most of the Badgerline models I found over the summer, though - I've fond memories of them from my time in Weston Super Mare. Can't remember if I sold them on, though! The tat market all became a bit of a white-hot blur, after a while...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Mmm just spoke to a collector who is selling his entire 400+ efe collection.

He's got 12 I want. 

Do I cancel the kids Christmas or go for it lol

Time for the credit card to get a bit melty :)

Loads of these must have been accumulated by old boys whose days are numbered - there'll probably be a sudden glut on the market in years to come 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Good to see you getting back into the diecast swing again!

I'm not sure if you were lucky or unlucky to miss the market stall's wares over the summer...1644818689_IMG_20210430_0756582.thumb.jpg.93fc0dc216191dffa8023b939ea10dc5.jpg

1714316828_IMG_20210430_0807032.thumb.jpg.00199bf25519dbb5e652fc80495d9857.jpg

916890291_IMG_20210430_0813032.thumb.jpg.ee8038d86236fa1b68bbb5a2cbe5c3f3.jpg

1831519410_IMG_20210430_0812012.thumb.jpg.1c8e3d3349219b3909e8c197d2c05c62.jpg

580899674_IMG_20210430_1045362.thumb.jpg.26770b640b1c7c649cc9437b915a206e.jpg

941762063_IMG_20210514_0808042.thumb.jpg.9c1496fbcdb919ca1afad33e6e6cba26.jpg

1746651819_IMG_20210521_0807032.thumb.jpg.abc97d9b232b755759a1471a789ee9b6.jpg

1428227558_IMG_20210611_0807552.thumb.jpg.a30afc17888646a355ec9cff8b199fed.jpg

1806659589_IMG_20210827_0807502.thumb.jpg.5733e7299aeb0d1eeca6ccc1409ebda9.jpg

I worked in a model shop for a few years in the mid/late '90s - we sold a lot of EFE models, though buses weren't really my thing and so I've not as much recall as I'd like of what we used to stock back then.

I think I did snap up most of the Badgerline models I found over the summer, though - I've fond memories of them from my time in Weston Super Mare. Can't remember if I sold them on, though! The tat market all became a bit of a white-hot blur, after a while...

I think I've got at least 15% of all the buses that have ever been for sale at St Georges!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a metric shit load of EFE, got into the habit (how sad does this sound!) at a Bus Rally in Heaton Park in Manchester, when they were relatively unheard of and therefore quite cheap. Then my dad got hold of a load, don’t know how, that we’re missing the outer box and just had the inner plastic moulding, for a £2 a piece. Thinking maybe they were water damaged stock. Kept them until a big purge about 5 years ago, from memory at that time they were quite difficult to get rid of. A bit like the Vanguards, years ago they’d be something like £13-14, now they’ve gone up considerably, perhaps as their appeal has widened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/12/2021 at 23:04, Cookiesouwest said:

But it was not as described, with a knackered rear wheel

So that will be going in the bin and I will have to buy another.

no, no, no, EFE are quite easy to take apart so put it to one side and wait for a "project" to show up foe pennies!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Postman arrived. 

Code 3 LBRT model for Warminster Vintage Bus Day 2008.

Bristol LS in Bath Services livery. A very nice code 3 and quite rare, with only 100 produced.

I'm happy. Have some pics.

20211220_111405.thumb.jpg.bb478ffe9bdf50082bcac11c8c1c3d74.jpg

20211220_110507.thumb.jpg.d206de0b9581afd0496b39448778d09f.jpg

20211220_110529.thumb.jpg.9e1166280bbc2e8ef3cae7bb7bdf07ea.jpg

20211220_110537.thumb.jpg.6374993cbb28120a84e03090313c5623.jpg

 

Scores on doors

5 of 39 EFE code 1s

0 of 2 EFE LT museum code 2s

2 of 2 EFE (LBRT) code 3s

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another delivery this morning. Its a good day. Two Badgerline have turned up.

20401 - Bristol VR series 3 with ECW bodywork.

20211220_133201.thumb.jpg.183a9df75396fbee97edb29ac8f3549a.jpg

20211220_133217.thumb.jpg.1d53b8ea3853c29650330863bae82ef0.jpg

20602 - Dennis Dart / Plaxton Pointer. A replacement for the one bought earlier, that had a broken rear wheel.

20211220_133624.thumb.jpg.fd41999def23d97bd96bf0149cc51ea2.jpg

20211220_133639.thumb.jpg.ae81d513f37eb1faaa6e04f9464e517f.jpg

It may turn out to be a bumper week. I'm hoping the collection of 10 I bought, turns up this week too.

Scores on doors

7 of 39 EFE code 1s

0 of 2 EFE LT museum code 2s

2 of 2 EFE (LBRT) code 3s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a fellow bus collector, this looks like a fun challenge and you've got off to a good start already. I have to agree with everyone else's comments that the glory days of Corgi and EFE are long gone and I haven't bought a new release diecast for almost a decade as there simply hasn't been anything of interest. My favourite fleet is United Counties, of which there are surprisingly few models and I've managed to acquire all the standard releases plus some repaints and kit builds, along with the related fleets of Luton Corporation, MK Metro and Luton & District/Arriva the Shires. I have been collecting for over 20 years though so it's taken a while!

I had that Bristol Greyhound Panorama with the football signs in the windows, but it fell victim to one of my early ham-fisted repaint/conversion attempts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...