OLLI-Tart D1 300tdi acquired.NO BRAKES!!!!

Dan the van

Got that ta.Hoping for bias plate.Had a brand new clutch fitted and it's likely the garage put something out.Mainshaft failure means drive in 4th only.Or the grub screw on the slip ring has moved on the selector shaft.Still be done without dropping the box.Could also be a selector for which is new box time.Will look at bias plate first obvs.

3 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Spread some hot tar over the roof and then stick some canvas on while it's still warm. It'll be fine as long as you never want to open them again.

Someone told me today to get the roof vinal wrapped, straight over both sunroofs! Not a bad idea lol 

• 4 weeks later...

So situation update.Now oil tight and in a drivable state.An exploratory trundle down my lane revealed a gearbox devoid of any synchro and 1st/2nd whine more than the ex wife.So it's toast.Will be ordering a recon box in due course along with an engine hoist and intend to change it out in due course.Until then I shall attend to the minor welding needed and a few other small mot related items.At least the gearbox is a reasonable price.🙂.All in I reckon it should owe me about 1650 when finished.Not bad at all tbh.

Near side rear wheel arch front edge. The lip that stops mud flying up between the body and the inner arch is rotten but too close to the seatbelt mount. Went up my unit to weld it up and left my welder at home. Given up now, cracked a beer open instead. 

• 2 weeks later...

So spurred on by some dry weather I decided to start on the bits of welding.N/S/F inner arch is the worst so after a bit of angry grinder action I got this.

20220118_135658.thumb.jpg.fcbed18cb0466e09d0ab1c9e7bbab62f.jpg

Had decided to butt weld everything so cut some nice regular shapes to make the fab easier.Some time later I ended up with this.

20220125_141245.thumb.jpg.8b340f0e23d62a9b555be73aca250f07.jpg

Most of this is hidden by the splash guard so won't be on view.             

20220122_133812.thumb.jpg.f6fe2f25228076ef1ec1670715835416.jpg                                   

A quick inspection of all this revealed a lot of newish bits Inc copper hard lines which was a nice surprise.Other side next.

• 4 months later...

After waiting for better weather and longer days I decided it was time to tackle the bit of welding on the o/s inner arch.Which turned out to be much worse than I thought.🤦.Aaanyway,made a start today,plenty more to do.And,yes,that is daylight visible through the footwell.*sigh*.20220603_181158.thumb.jpg.ac2387ae24886a015183944762c2766b.jpg20220603_181121.thumb.jpg.6cc1dda2befdc3eacdd15953b957714a.jpg

14 hours ago, Dan the van said:

After waiting for better weather and longer days I decided it was time to tackle the bit of welding on the o/s inner arch.Which turned out to be much worse than I thought.🤦.Aaanyway,made a start today,plenty more to do.And,yes,that is daylight visible through the footwell.*sigh*.20220603_181158.thumb.jpg.ac2387ae24886a015183944762c2766b.jpg20220603_181121.thumb.jpg.6cc1dda2befdc3eacdd15953b957714a.jpg

frilly as lace.

12 hours ago, Dan the van said:

Yes,not pretty.Strange how the o/s is much worse than the n/s was.Usually the other way round.PITA having to take the drivers carpet up.At least the rest is OK,pretty solid.

Interesting! My Disco 1 is also affected by the rust bug more on the drivers side than the passenger. The drivers floor apparently is often the worst as the water off the drivers feet soaks into the underlay, but this does not explain why the OS boot floor is worse.

• 2 weeks later...

20220618_221723.thumb.jpg.92b136f46d6c48ae9697d70505199036.jpgThey're not full width,they supposedly stop shite getting up between the outer wing and the top part of the inner.Generally the rust starts around the plastic fixings which then fall out followed by the liner some time later.A lot of people delete them tbh.

• 4 months later...

Update.After delays and procrastination about which route to take re a replacement gearbox I stumbled across a chap locally who breaks D1's.A  good complete transmission was mine for a mere £150.20221026_124103.thumb.jpg.57562d85ede61f1e3077505bc394b6aa.jpg

New OEM slave installed along with a Valeo clutch kit,fluids changed and I was ready to go.

20221027_104231.thumb.jpg.3e304bf48877e01943c18ca6c6e130da.jpg

Getting it back in was easier than expected,in fact after some careful alignment it went straight on.Result,esp considering I was on my own.20221024_170139.thumb.jpg.908ef09b1d44e26b1ca8d33c070e51fa.jpgShiny new de-cat single box system to go on along with propshafts etc but it's all downhill from here hopefully.🙂

• Dan the van changed the title to OLLI-Tart D1 300tdi acquired.NO BRAKES!!!!

Right,having sorted transmission and got it driving ok a problem with the front brakes is apparent.Good pedal but weak bite.It always had shit brakes,first thing I changed was the m/cylinder for new.No difference.Since then I have put braided flexi's on the front,checked front calipers(in good visual condition,pistons free etc),disks well within tolerance, put new Delphi pads in(bedded them in this morning),servo/vac pump  working(pump is tapping tho' but drawing good vacuum) and changed the pressure valve for a new one.And bled it all at least a dozen times with both an Eazibleed and a pressure bleeder.They are still epically shit.The only thing I haven't done is properly inspect the rears but they are working and shouldn't affect the fronts anyway.No leaks anywhere either.I'm at a loss tbh.Doesn't have ABS so should be easy you would think.Suggestions and thoughts welcome,cos' it's doing my head in.

The servo cracks around the bolt holes to the master-cylinder .If the vacuum pump is tapping it might be the spring inside broken(like a valve spring). If noisey then they leak vacuum from the core plugs. The pump can leak oil from the outer gasket, this doesn't cause problems , mine has leaked for years. Look at the servo  first but I think it will be the noisey vacuum pump.