Cars to “see you out”.

bangernomics

I was thinking about this the other day on account of getting on a bit and how many times I’ve heard people say this one will see me out.

The old chap over the road had a succession of rovers, all metallic green and he said in about 2003/4 when his 45? landed it would be his last.

That went to the scrappy about two years ago when his eyesight went along with most of the rovers corners.

So what do you think will see you out?

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

I'm 'only 49' and I'd like to think the car that'll see me out hasn't been built yet.

I am only three years older than you but already have the cars I hope to drive for the next 30 or 40 years. One of the reasons I have so many cars is to rotate their usage. I hope to retire in 3 to 4 years then start restoring the cars I have. I have a 2001 E320 as my modern car and absolutely no desire for anything newer. My preference is cars 1982 and older. I intend to drive mostly Cortina’s, Granada’s and the SD1. Then the CX, Jag and Chimera for something different when I retire, life is too short for dull cars.

I am 18, going on 19, while I have hopefully quite a lot of time to decide this, I know right now that I want our family heirloom Audi quattro to be passed down to future generations 

IMG_3235-2.thumb.jpg.7955f9188c371490976b672567af6519.jpg

As for a non-heirloom car I definitely want to keep, the Volvo 480ES, my first car, I intend to keep as the cornerstone of my future collection and always run as either a daily or back up 

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.9d159172dd9d68bc4f3cac274286d329.JPG

All I'd say is, enjoy combustion cars while you can.

They will be priced off the road in the not-too distant future, for private use.

I'd love to drive my 1970s and 80s Minis for the rest of my days but I'm convinced they will be targetted by successive governments to appease the ever growing green voters. 

Grandfather bought a Dacia at 87 (2013) as his "last car" - continued to do 15 -20k a year in it.........Had it not been for covid I think he would have replaced it with one final car @94 years old - as it is, it has effectively 'saved' 30k plus in mileage since this bollock job began, now only going to do the shopping and a few miles away for walks etc. Will probably be his last car - but never say never, there are a few who still drive at 100 plus.

Comrade Samways

Doubleyeller collective

After buying the 2015 A6 Allroad full of technology, I’m hoping it will see me out. But I am in my mid 30s now so I’m not holding my hopes up. I’ll do my best to keep hold of it. The mantas will definitely still be around until my time comes. Even if they price us off the road, I’ll go rouge. 

50 minutes ago, Motown said:

My wife will see me out as she will most definitely be the death of me

Shes very much like an old car in some ways... massive boot (arse) drinks alot is rusty around the edges and constantly needs attention.

1542736731_96865200_10158516071728910_1925758933461368832_n(1).thumb.jpg.b7ce60e2b31dd2b4bdd2ab20003ad4b9.jpg

Like my cars, I like my women built for comfort, not speed.

I retired last year; my plan had long been to use my pension lump-sum on a new-car that would “see me out”. 
But I won’t be buying the air-cooled 911 that I was looking forward to when I first started that pension.  
Trouble is pretty much everything new is full of piss-me-off “features” that are surplus to the basic, happy, functioning of a car so as yet I havn’t bothered. Not sure I can be bothered keeping an old car going.

BMW i3 and Suzuki Jimny commercial come closest to eating my pension pot, but realistically I would need both to tick all my boxes.

So for now anyway, I am stuck with my Connect van. I hope I can outlast a 15 year old Transit!

3 hours ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

All I'd say is, enjoy combustion cars while you can.

They will be priced off the road in the not-too distant future, for private use.

I'd love to drive my 1970s and 80s Minis for the rest of my days but I'm convinced they will be targetted by successive governments to appease the ever growing green voters. 

I have a more optimistic outlook, I think by 2045 governments will have to reintroduce ICE cars or e-fuels as a supplement as the demand for Electric cars (which realistically are the only option being invested in properly at the moment) will outstrip the resources required to build them, causing massive problems when it comes to getting transport, and 2nd hand EVs will go through the roof for that very reason. Thus, I think ICE does have a future. I will make it if I have to. If Greta can do it, why can't Ben?  

My Dad now 85, and recently gone through cancer treatment, is on his Third new car since he retired. 

All Focus Estates.  

51 reg 2.0 ghia in white. Pxed with 120K on the clock for a new 

59 reg 1.8 titantium in light blue,

Pxed for

67 reg 1.5 auto in bright red. 

I think.he love of Fords has created an irrational hatred of them in me. 

I am sure there's no need for him to ever replace it.  They retired to the back of beyond on Anglesey about 5 miles from. Bomaris and public transport is dire, so if and when both of them have to give up driving its going to be a bit of a pain for my sister who lives about 6 miles away. 

They've both had cataracts done in the past few years so at least they can see the road now. 

For her 80th my brother's mother in law bought a new Kia to see her out. She is now looking to buy a new one again. (She was 90 this year)

I expect either of my cars would see me out, one is already over 70 years old and short of something catastrophic will always be worth fixing. The other car is not much more than a year old. I am already old.

2 hours ago, MisterH said:

the demand for Electric cars (which realistically are the only option being invested in properly at the moment) will outstrip the resources

There's a hell of lot of work being put into the "circular economy" industry-wide which sounds like corporate bollocks but is actually a bit clever. Once the current generation of BEVs start to reach end of life we'll see whether the circular economy can sustain the supply chain. If it can, then ICE won't be making a return. 

6 hours ago, Motown said:

My wife will see me out as she will most definitely be the death of me

Shes very much like an old car in some ways... massive boot (arse) drinks alot is rusty around the edges and constantly needs attention.

1542736731_96865200_10158516071728910_1925758933461368832_n(1).thumb.jpg.b7ce60e2b31dd2b4bdd2ab20003ad4b9.jpg

lovely to enjoy on a bright and sunny sunday morning though with the windows open just a crack. can definitely see the appeal.