Talbot

30 minutes ago, Talbot said:

After the Fundraiser in August, we had £294.73
Costs have been:

• September  £83.62
  • October  £81.70
  • November £85.20

Total £250.52, meaning the balance at the moment is £44.21

The forum software (invision) is up for renewal very soon, which will likely occur during November.  There is also a background issue that means we need to do a server rebuild.  The details are shown below, but there may be some minor interim costs for doing this, mainly data transfer.

As noted elsewhere, we're also now no longer hosting video, so I expect the monthly cost to "soften" a little over the next month or two.  Video had become disproportionate in the amount of space and bandwidth it used, so I expect this will help quite a bit, if only to stop the price going up even more.

So, the fundraiser is again open.  As always, the fundraiser can be found here:

https://ko-fi.com/autoshite
or a Paypal friends and family payment to:
autoshitehosting@fastandfurryous.co.uk

KoFi is superbly easy to use, but when it transfers balance to Paypal, it's considered a business transaction, so some fees are lost.  If anyone wishes to make a "friends and family" paypal payment directly into the Autoshite Paypal account, that would be most welcomed.   It is also possible to make a direct bank transfer, but as this is to my personal account, I'm not going to leave details online.  Please PM me if you would prefer to do this.

I will, as before, leave this open for a while, to allow everyone who uses the forum to see this and contribute if they wish.  With luck, this will again cover the next 3 months or so.

The explanation for the weird email address on page 1.

Many thanks to all contributors, large, small or anything in between.

given the recent hard drive space scare, and that probably every other Photo on the server is that of an Invacar or something such related I felt it was high time I paid back so to speak! thus I have punted an amount via the paypal address to hopefully cover my sins LOL

and on a more serious note, for all the Awesome-ness this forum has provided over the years, many thanks to all who have kept the wheels turning and trunnions greased :) 

32 minutes ago, Talbot said:

The detail in case anyone is interested:

We need to upgrade to PHP 8.0, which unfortunately isn't supported under Debian, which is what the AS server runs at the moment.  We plan to upgrade to Ubuntu, which will run PHP 8.0.  The easiest way to do this is to set up a new server with Ubuntu and PHP 8.0, then export everything from the old server to the new one, which will of course incurr some data transfer charges.  Once that's done, Autoshite.com will be pointed to the new server, and the old one knocked on the head.  This ensures minimum downtime.  The small additional cost to minimise downtime seems very worthwhile.  The cost of this will be noted once it's done.

just wondering when this migration is done, will be there a data integrity check/checking of the new setup before the old one is knocked on its head to make sure nothing has been lost or corrupted? 

just wondering because over time I Have noticed things have gotten corrupted like all the text on the first post of the Autoshite lexicon thread and obviously would be good to try and prevent that from happening again :) 

https://autoshite.com/topic/13953-autoshite-lexicon/

On 05/11/2022 at 15:09, LightBulbFun said:

given the recent hard drive space scare, and that probably every other Photo on the server is that of an Invacar or something such related I felt it was high time I paid back so to speak! thus I have punted an amount via the paypal address to hopefully cover my sins LOL

and on a more serious note, for all the Awesome-ness this forum has provided over the years, many thanks to all who have kept the wheels turning and trunnions greased :) 

just wondering when this migration is done, will be there a data integrity check/checking of the new setup before the old one is knocked on its head to make sure nothing has been lost or corrupted? 

just wondering because over time I Have noticed things have gotten corrupted like all the text on the first post of the Autoshite lexicon thread and obviously would be good to try and prevent that from happening again :) 

https://autoshite.com/topic/13953-autoshite-lexicon/

I think some of the corruptions have happened on past major updates of the Invision software, I don't recall any time when the current tech team didn't put it all back exactly how it was.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed.  I will close this off now as although I've not counted up, I believe we've covered the next 4 months plus the bi-annual software charge, meaning we won't need to do a fundrazr again until march, which rather handily avoids the christmas/new year time.

• Talbot locked and unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

With £44.21 left last November, and after an excellent fundraiser amount of £418.35, we had £462.56, Which (as expected) will definitely see us through to March.  This is an interim accounts statement so I don't lose track of things) 
Costs have been:

• November Invision renewal  ~£50.  Exact cost to be found. (was $55, plus exchange fee)
  • December  £83.07
  • January  £107.09
  • February £108.23

Total £348.49, meaning the balance at the moment is £114.07.  This should cover March.

Costs have gone up somewhat (again).  I'm looking very seriously at a new host now as in less than two years, our costs have doubled.  Which is a lot.

No fundraiser this month.  Exact value of the Invision renewal will be updated, and a fundraiser opened in March.

• 1 month later...

Invision renewal last November was in fact £48.26, so the Total above should actually have been £346.75, with a remaining balance of £112.33.

March came to £97.06, leaving £15.27 in the Tagora glovebox.

April hasn't come through yet (likely will in the next day or two) so now is the time to re-open the donation pot:

As always, the fundraiser can be found here:

https://ko-fi.com/autoshite

Unfortunately, despite KoFi being superbly easy to use, when it transfers balance to Paypal, it's considered a business transaction, so some fees are lost.  On the back of that, if anyone wishes to make a "friends and family" paypal payment directly into the Autoshite Paypal account, (IE bypassing KoFi's fees) that would be most welcomed.  The email address to make a payment to is

autoshitehosting@fastandfurryous.co.uk

For anyone making a payment by anything other than paypal, or indeed would prefer not to use friends&family to make the payment that is no issue at all and payments through KoFi are very welcome indeed.  Sending direct by Paypal friends&family is absolutely optional.  But is also welcomed to avoid fees.

I will, as before, leave this open for a while, to allow everyone who uses the forum to see this and contribute if they wish.  With luck, this will again cover the next 3 months or so.

The explanation for the weird email address on page 1.

Many thanks to all contributors, large, small or anything in between.

• Talbot pinned and unlocked this topic