Am I being an idiot?

wuvvum

So I've had my Volvo 164 half-arsedly advertised for sale for a long time now with very little response.  Recently however there has been a flurry of interest for some reason.  I had a chap come to view the car on Saturday (he decided not to buy it for reasons I won't go into here), and I have two more people who seem very keen.  The thing is, when the chap came to view on Friday and said he wasn't going to have it, I realised that I wasn't at all disappointed as deep down I really didn't want to sell it.

I've owned it for over 17 years, which is a bloody long time for me to keep a car (although I've had the Mobylette for over 25).  In that time it's gone from a tidy roadworthy runner to a semi-wreck and I've been gradually trying to bring it back to health again as time, money and mojo have permitted.  It's now the closest it's been to roadworthy in a long time - the only things it needs now to be properly drivable are a fuel starvation problem sorting (I suspect it's the in-tank fuel filter which is blocked) and a pair of front brake discs, which are about 70 quid.  I've replaced a number of bits over the last few years, at considerable total expense (new front brake calipers, pads and flexis, water pump, washer pump, fuel pump, horn, alternator, voltage regulator x2) and I'm finding myself gradually growing rather fond of it again.  I've come to the realisation that it'd be a major wrench to sell it after all this time - it's been a part of my life for too long, admittedly something of a millstone for some of that time, but still.

On the flip side, it still needs loads of work to get it back into good condition.  The knackered upholstery I can live with, but the bodywork really does need sorting - it has done for years and I just keep putting it off whilst it gets gradually worse (it's not going downhill nearly as quickly as the Renault 6 thankfully, mainly because the metal is about twice as thick).  I really don't have the bodywork skills to give it the fettling it needs (I sadly don't have a DoctorRetro-style ability to go from 0 to professional in 2 days), and I can't afford to pay someone else to do it.  It also really needs to be garaged, at least over winter, but I only have one garage and the Renault is in there - if I did have a second garage then the Innocenti would be first in the queue.  And even when it's running properly and on the road I'd only use it for the occasional weekend run - at 18 miles to a £7 gallon of super unleaded I couldn't afford to drive it every day.  It'll also need four new tyres before I'm happy driving it for any distance.  And I could do with the cash, although there are alternative vehicles I could sell to raise an equivalent amount of money.

I've so far put off arranging for the other two interested parties to view the car, and I'm half tempted to tell them it's no longer for sale.  Thing is, I can't decide whether that's the right thing to do or whether I'm being an irrational sentimental idiot...

given how long you have had it for and now how close it is to being drivable id say hang onto it and just keep pecking away at the jobs you can do when you can :) 

if nothing else its a historic £NIL rate tax MOT exempt ULEZ exempt vehicle, its the ideal backup if you have to venture inside the North/south circular for whatever reason and the R6 is deciding to play typically French

and you can really treat it as a rolling restoration, all you have to do legal expenditure wise is insure it (and maybe you can cover it in adverts and park it somewhere high profile and use the ad revenue to pay for its needed welding repairs? LOL)

then again im not exactly known for my Sound and sensible automotive choices! but thats not what this forum is about is it :) 

A Volvo 164 was the very first 'classic' I chased, and when I saw one in CCW I phoned up to be told simply 'It has been sold, goodbye.'
I always liked them though, they seemed far more different from the 144 than the 264 did from the 240, but I never got round to running one, ending up with an Amazon which was probably the better choice because I got back every penny I spent on it as the prices rose.
Will the prices rise for the 164? I don't know, they seem like one of those cars you could spend £10k to sell it for 5, but I'm out of touch with the values of them.

FWIW I'd consider letting it go to someone with the funds and mechanical ability to finish  it if you can't be sure of being able to do it yourself and spend the money on one of your other projects.

There’s only really two options here:

1.a) keep it; and 

1.b) do what needs doing; or 

2. Sell it and let someone else. 

If you want to do 1.a) but can’t do 1.b) then do 2 otherwise all you end up with is a deteriorating pile that will end up worth less when you do end up moving it on, or alternatively too far gone to do anything with and only fit for spares / scrap. 

You've had it long enough.  You've never really given it your full attention, and you are just being selfish, not letting someone enthusiastic and skilled get on with it. Because you know you could have given it full attention, a heated garage and made it perfect, if you could have been arsed. Your emotion you are feeling is regret at your tardy procrastination coupled with knowing about the future jealousy you will surely have. 

Now....How did my vicious oppinion above make you feel? Do you secretly agree? Or are you now so angry with, that you'll prove me wrong. ?

Now for my actual opinion.

You have too many classics needing attention. Pick one and do it properly.  Or run it as a shed. Get it back on the road and use it. Daily. Patch up the bodywork with rattle cans.  Put some period seat covers in the interior. But use it. Daily. Get on with it. Give yourself one month deadline. By the 2nd week in.January it will all.be done. If not, there are no excuses, and you should sell it. 

Whilst Shit Banger Car Business is indeed serious business you cannot run it on numbers and logic alone.

If you don't wanna sell it don't sell it.

What would your chances be of buying another in the future for the amount of money you would get for selling it?

Yours regretfully,

Sold A Nearly Running 2 door E30 for £500 in 2012.

What's it 'costing' you to have hanging around? Tax and insurance? Can you afford it?

I'd imagine something like that isn't depreciating, and the monthly outlay might well be equal to how much it's appreciating. 

What about worry/guilt from not giving it unwavering attention 24/7? Can you afford that?

I've not helped at all, have I?

I recently sold my 505 which i had owned for 30 years, but 20 off the road. I too did not have the welding ability and with 3 cars, 1 garage, needed a decison on what to do

Which car means the most too you ? For me my Riley 9 meant the most, 505 was sold and Corsa will depend on how long the mot fail is.

I did not feel sad when the 505 went and it has improved my mojo for doing the Riley.

Keep 1 or 2, but only you know which one you would rather have 

Hope that helps

The brutal answer is yes you are being an irrational sentimental idiot. You have already decided you don't need the car so have sensibly advertised it. The fact is it is surplus to requirements and you could do with whatever money it makes.

However that's not how Autoshiting works. I'm sure many on here have been in your position. We get very attached to our cars and are reluctant to part with them. We also worry irrationally about what kind of home they are likely to go to. I am almost in the same position with my Octavia. I have owned it a few years and have no logical reason to keep it. I advertised it last year but then felt the same as you and withdrew the ads. A year later I still have it. 

Only you know when the time is right. You probably will sell the Volvo when you need the space for something else or you're fed up with looking at it. I'd say keep it for now and see how you feel in time. Once it's gone it's gone.

For me, part of the decision would be whether you can keep it in the dry.  If you can, and it doesn't do a lot, at least it isn't deteriorating and you can do something with it 'eventually'.  If it is outside it is inevitable that it will deteriorate and that would get me down.

They're a fine car though for sure. 

55 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

That's the thing - it's costing me absolutely nowt.  It's tax and MOT exempt, and I have a trader's insurance policy so it doesn't cost me any extra to keep it insured either.

I think you have answered your question here. Yes, are are probably being an idiot if you sell it.

If you like the car then keep it, from your post I have established that you have an Innocenti and Renault 6 which you like more. Both are great for short runs and pottering around but neither ideal for longer / intercontinental travel. This is where the Volvo would come into its own. If you can think of a car you would prefer for longer runs and if you think you would have no regrets longer term then sell it. We become attached to cars as we do with people and animals, the difference is that Cars are always repairable (at a cost). Only you know the right answer but don’t be a fool who sells cars on a whim then says in a few years that you wish you hadn’t.

As for the bullshit about giving it a better home elsewhere, for every car that gets restored there are at least ten that get sold to someone who says they will restore it and then either banger race it or break it, the best realistic likely outcome is the next owner will leave it on their drive. Either way once it is gone it’s gone!

I would like to see you keep it, it is a good colour and spec. and an interesting car. You should get it on the road, put a big net in the boot and go out catching butterflies. When you do, let me know and I will come around in my Granada to meet up with your bird for a ‘coffee’.

(the last paragraph may be a joke, no offence intended)

22 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

I think you have answered your question here.

As for the bullshit about giving it a better home elsewhere, for every car that gets restored there are at least ten that get sold to someone who says they will restore it and then either banger race it or break it, the best realistic likely outcome is the next owner will leave it on their drive. Either way once it is gone it’s gone!

I was about to say that. He has.

In my experience the chances are that selling a car will mean the kiss of death for it one way or another. The only sure way of securing a car's future if it means a lot to you is to keep it. 

I'd say a lot of people on here have been in the same position, myself included. I've had my Herald for over 10 years now, I keep saying I'm going to spend time and money on it, but i can always find 'better' things to spend my time and money on. I've been told many times i should sell it, give it to a better home, but it costs me zero ££ per month to keep. 

Thankfully now it's in a *dry garage, but this is away from home and means I do sort of have to 'book in' to visit and work on it. I do have keys to the garage and 24 hour access if i want. 

Personally unless you need the money I'd keep - you could put a time line on it, say 6 months if it's still not on the road back up for sale. maybe the push you need to get it back into action.  - also surely up and running with a bit of rattle can action it'd be worth a few more quid? 

48 minutes ago, chadders said:

Can you get a decent cover for it to delay its progression into a heap of rust?

It has a cover over it at the moment, but that's mainly to stop the rain from getting in to the not-entirely-watertight interior.  I'm actually amazed at how slowly it's gone downhill given the neglect it's suffered from for most of the last decade - the driver's side outer sill is getting rather tender in places and there's a few scabs around the windscreen, but the only really bad bits are the spare wheel well and the offside rear arch / door shut - and they were on their way out when I bought the car 17 years ago, to the extent that the previous owner had already bought repair panels.

12 minutes ago, juular said:

Not right now, but what about the future?

Is it something you could see yourself wanting to do? And if so, what's stopping you?

That's the thing - I've been meaning to teach myself bodywork repair for ages.  I had all good intentions of cracking on with it last summer - I even bought myself a shiny new welder - but the weather has been so shit that I've got almost nothing done.  Not having anywhere under cover to work on cars I'm reliant on it being dry.  The bits of bodywork repair that the Renault and the Innocenti have had this year have been done by my mate.