Cars you love from brands you hate

MisterH

44 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

Really don't like Hyundais - particularly modern ones, but TBH any era Hyundai puts me off. The very essence of tedious, mediocre, throwaway motoring. My mum has an i10, and it's hateful - not even in an endearing way like most AS stuff is.

On a more general note, I'm also not keen on the latest generation of EVs.

However, I saw an Ioniq 5 the other day which is both of the above, and I'll admit I actually sort of want one!

hyundai-uk-ioniq-5-14-1610.jpg

hyundai-uk-ioniq-5-21-1610.jpg

I prefer KIA’s version surprisingly, despite the Hyundai looking more retro.

099CA362-3FE4-45A7-81D3-961348568C2A.jpeg

4 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Really don't like Hyundais - particularly modern ones, but TBH any era Hyundai puts me off. The very essence of tedious, mediocre, throwaway motoring. My mum has an i10, and it's hateful - not even in an endearing way like most AS stuff is.

On a more general note, I'm also not keen on the latest generation of EVs.

However, I saw an Ioniq 5 the other day which is both of the above, and I'll admit I actually sort of want one!

hyundai-uk-ioniq-5-14-1610.jpg

hyundai-uk-ioniq-5-21-1610.jpg

I'm sort of opposite when it comes to Koreans.

There are some Hyundais i don't mind. The Mk1 and Mk3 coupe's were nice (but i don't fit in either), The Getz was a decent little car and for some bizarre reason, probably because it's big, old fashioned and likely awful, i quite like the Terrecan. Came very close to buying one a month back. Agree on the Ioniq as well.... but squint a bit and there's a lot, and i mean A LOT of Mk8 Honda Civic to it in the details.

Kia for me are the offenders of undesirable shite. I don't get them at all.  So dull they are almost offensive. There is pretty much not a single vehicle they have ever made i'd like to own, bar 1 exception.

The Mk1 Sorento. XT trim, in blue  (Or black)

yesplz.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Mrcento said:

I'm sort of opposite when it comes to Koreans.

There are some Hyundais i don't mind. The Mk1 and Mk3 coupe's were nice (but i don't fit in either), The Getz was a decent little car and for some bizarre reason, probably because it's big, old fashioned and likely awful, i quite like the Terrecan. Came very close to buying one a month back. Agree on the Ioniq as well.... but squint a bit and there's a lot, and i mean A LOT of Mk8 Honda Civic to it in the details.

Kia for me are the offenders of undesirable shite. I don't get them at all.  So dull they are almost offensive. There is pretty much not a single vehicle they have ever made i'd like to own, bar 1 exception.

The Mk1 Sorento. XT trim, in blue  (Or black)

yesplz.

spacer.png

I know it's very subjective this thread, but I view Kia and Hyundai as the same entity, like Skoda/VW. Most of what they made pre-2007 was pretty nasty, but the Ceed and i30 changed all that. Really good cars, a match for the Europeans and generally undercut them heavily on price. My Dad bought a pre-reg Ceed dizzle for something like £11k and ran it happily for 100,000 miles, then gave it to me, bless him. 

I may* have upped the boost and blown the turbo, but apart from that it was a really good car. 14/10 wld recommend. 

Cars like the Vengaboyz and ix20 show they've got the giffer market understood. And the Soul is a clever design pretty much unlike anything else. 5 & 7 year warranties kicked the establishment in the nads, enough to shock Vauxhall into an aborted 'lifetime' warranty experiment. I think both the EVs pictured above are striking and interesting. 

I feel like they now occupy the market space previously occupied by Ford. It's difficult to buy a bASe Ford now, they want to upsell you to Treetec or Vitanium.