GR8 PL8 M8's Daewoo Espero - Tea and a catch-up

GR8 PL8 M8

One annoyance - I attempted to book the MOT at the garage literally next door to the the previous owner's flat, I rang 3 times spaced half an hour or so apart but they didn't pick up. I ended up going with another garage that's still very local and gets good reviews etc etc but it turns out that the next door garage is the one that had serviced the car it's whole life, and had in fact conducted a thorough rust treatment procedure just before the previous owner died (which strangely wasn't mentioned in the advert).

It would have felt "right" to take it there one last time, but oh well.

5 minutes ago, Mally said:

You did it wrong, you get the pre booked MOT done after you drive it home.

I'm aware, the original plan was to take it to my local (which I can walk home from) but the timing wasn't going to work out. As long as it doesn't fail on anything that would deem it to not be roadworthy I can still drive it home from the failed MOT whilst on SORN.

2 hours ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

Okay, I've kept you all waiting long enough, here is my latest acquisition:

IMG_20211202_131553.thumb.jpg.35ed4d19ee35326882528bf87e515477.jpg

A 1997 Daewoo Espero CDI Auto. Dumped unceremoniously outside an interior design joint.

The garage next door are putting it through an MOT as I speak, fingers crossed it passes.

That is a car for the discerning motorist. Well done and happy driving. It was briefly discussed in the eBay tat thread a week or two ago, I think. 

6 hours ago, GR8 PL8 M8 said:

Okay, I've kept you all waiting long enough, here is my latest acquisition:

IMG_20211202_131553.thumb.jpg.35ed4d19ee35326882528bf87e515477.jpg

A 1997 Daewoo Espero CDI Auto. Dumped unceremoniously outside an interior design joint.

The garage next door are putting it through an MOT as I speak, fingers crossed it passes.

You have won AS within twenty posts.  Clearly, you are a CHOD GOD and RESTEPC IS DUE.

😎

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

wow. Brilliant. I assume that was the one on eBay recently.  Great that its in the fold

The very one! I was actually the underbidder, but the winning bidder (who placed their bid the same second the auction ended) backed out. In the last few seconds I got bid up to my maximum by a different bidder, so it was all very tense.

4 hours ago, grogee said:

That is a car for the discerning motorist. Well done and happy driving. It was briefly discussed in the eBay tat thread a week or two ago, I think. 

Yep, I've been lurking here since September, I believe I first saw the listing on the Seoul Classics Facebook page.

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Super work, a Cavalier MK4 in spirit. Congrats on the MOT pass too. 

Also, 1 owner cars, they do exist for sale!

Indeed, however the reason that the winning bidder backed out was that this car was transferred to the previous owner's wife when he fell ill, then back again, then to his daughter when he died. The winning bidder was a dealer, and wasn't interested in a 1 owner car that had to be explained as to why it had 4 owners on paper.

4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Ooh they do look nice! Good colour too

I've always wanted a dark green car! Best I'd done before was a dark green car that had been shoddily repainted black by the time I got my hands on it. The previous owner of that car had overzealously polished the bonnet, so it had two nice green racing stripes where he'd gone through!

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

Was the mot place Vernons Garage ? 

Quite a posh area is Heswall, so for your first collection mission, choice of car and miles covered - Good Shiting 😅👍

It was! The garage next door to the previous owner's flat (as mentioned in previous posts) was Castle Motors.

The Subway nearby is nice.

Now that I've recovered from replying to all those posts...

Evidently I've made it home safely, what was supposed to be a 3.5 hour drive turned into 5 hours, I had my phone in my pocket speaking to me so I just kept plodding along. This was easily the longest I've ever driven in one shot, if I had planned it I would have taken a break in the middle, and maybe had some music rather than just wind noise.

The Espero cruised happily at 60/65/70 mph, only fault being that the temperature gauge seems to spend most of it's time at 0 and only occasionally displaying what I assume (and hope) is the true reading. Should be a simple fix.

Despite being sold to me with half a tank, I was very keen to get some fresh fuel in the car, since what was in there had been since 2019. Good job I did too, as the full tank only just got me home! Here, have a pez shot:

IMG_20211202_152008.thumb.jpg.792268192c1be11f72ea259d6f05bdf0.jpg

Filling up did give me a mild scare, the first pump I used would only dispense a trickle before it would cut out and I would have to squeeze the handle again. Thought it might be an issue with the car, but moved to the pump opposite and it filled without a hitch.

Now that I look at this photo again, I do need to find a way to get that aerial to fully retract before some scrote snaps it off...

• GR8 PL8 M8 changed the title to GR8 PL8 M8's Inaugural Collect(ed) Thread

Crumbs, that's some absolute tip-top chodding, right there. One-owner Espero collectioneered from North Wales and back to the South East - all in a first thread?

Check and mate. The rest of us can go home now.

Glad your journey concluded safely, and I'm eagerly awaiting more from this vision of South Korean loveliness...

I have to have the fuel pump as some odd angles to fill my car up... Try and do it normally and the pump cuts off. Got to hold it near upside down at an angle for it to flow... 

If it was a lovely green Daewoo I'd bother to check but it's not so I just use a handy scratch I made a while ago doing the same to line the back of the pump up and fill up.