Anti Modification Consultation

sierraman

12 minutes ago, sierraman said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards

Can anyone make practical sense of this? Is it to prevent all these ‘slammed yo’ bollocks things being used on the road or something more broad? 

Just more agenda 2030 zero emissions horseshite by bought and paid for politicians. Here is another version of it just with a lot more detail.

The future looks terrifying for the majority but fine and dandy for those in charge.

https://www.ukfires.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Absolute-Zero-online.pdf

Obviously the devil is in the detail but I don't think this will be too bad for enthusiasts like us.

The anti-tampering part looks to be aimed at DPF deletes and remaps.  Admittedly, it might restrict mapping but I suspect that the industry will find a way to make maps switchable for the MOT test without too much bother.  If it makes life harder for the pop and bang brigade and the ones leaving black smoke everywhere I can't get too sad. 

Might have more of an impact on motorcycles with aftermarket exhausts.  I can't see anything that changes the principle that a vehicle should only have to comply with legislation that existed when it was made which is fair enough.

There is a part about "extending order-making powers to allow the registration and use of small volumes/small series innovative vehicles that do not comply with all type approval requirements subject to alternative safety/environmental/security measures being included" might be good news as it may allow small runs of products and cars without full crash testing type-approval.  It might allow things like the requirement for E-marked glass for IVA tests to be relaxed.

I'm sure the Mail and climate deniers will have a field day with this but doesn't look like much of an issue in the real world.

Before we get too hot under our collars, my (admittedly brief) reading of the review is that -

a) they want to replace existing EU regs with our own (due to br*xit)

b) modernise the regs to keep up with vehicle developments (eg autonomous functions)

c) and I think this is the bit people are getting exited about - 'anti tampering', but note this statement, from the anti-tampering section -

image.png.35b0e38565a13afef11c75ef66eafc37.png

Which is the case now - cars are already tested for their emmisions, seat belts, brakes etc all of which can be compromised by tampering, which is illegal today (and will be tomorrow...). These proposals are just to bring the regs up to date, there's mention of software modifications for example, which I suspect are not covered, specifically, by the current rules.

This next bit should also be reassuring -

image.png.bfb02e9070d0e2c1a3abfdd19a7ae6be.png

Now all we need is for us to trust the politicians to implement this. Considering that Britain still has kit car builders and a thriving classic car/motorbike scene I can't see the changes being too onorous due to lobbying from these concerns.

Edit - posted just after cort1977's more condensed version..

Edited by martc
Updated after cort1977's post

21 minutes ago, Nullzwei said:

Just more agenda 2030 zero emissions horseshite by bought and paid for politicians. Here is another version of it just with a lot more detail.

The future looks terrifying for the majority but fine and dandy for those in charge.

https://www.ukfires.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Absolute-Zero-online.pdf

That publication looks like the nonsense the environmentalists come out with. 

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

People have been going bonkers over this but really it's intending to stop those fuckwits putting pop and bang maps on their asbo Fords etc. 

From what I'm told and from what someone's MP (who drafted much of this) said.....

It's not actually about even stopping the pop and bang maps. It's belt and braces after what happened with the vehicle emissions scandals. It's also about ensuring that cars with cats keep cats and DPF/EGRs don't get removed. I'm kinda with that. I pay a rather pleasing £130 for my 2.1 litre Diesel 2011 Mercedes because it has these things (the previous model was 2 hundred and something or another). It's a bit of a pisstake if I then take those blue efficiency things out, put a map on and change the CO2 to approximately double what I'm paying Road Tax for. I mean realistically, if I did those things, I would potentially be in the £400+ bracket.

Other thing is, it's going to be hard to retrospectively fix this. Also, how do you deal with an engine swap? I have a perfectly legal MR2 with a Celica 2zz engine in. I have friends with Lexus 2GR engines in theirs and 3.5 V6 1MZ lumps.

Multiple car mags and racing orgs raised this with the government and for a change the govermnent provided further context and actually updated the draft to reflect it. Its to stop any numpty from deleting their adblue system (very common practice in trucks and off-highway machinery) or modifying their autonomous driving system to do things not designed in the factory. Its purely forward looking for the next-gen type approvals. Absolutely no requirements for any of the legistlation to be respectively done to older cars.

Source:

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/fbhvc-position-statement-on-the-future-of-transport-regulatory-review

26 minutes ago, Tommyboy12 said:

Multiple car mags and racing orgs raised this with the government and for a change the govermnent provided further context and actually updated the draft to reflect it. Its to stop any numpty from deleting their adblue system (very common practice in trucks and off-highway machinery) or modifying their autonomous driving system to do things not designed in the factory. Its purely forward looking for the next-gen type approvals. Absolutely no requirements for any of the legistlation to be respectively done to older cars.

Source:

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/fbhvc-position-statement-on-the-future-of-transport-regulatory-review

Yup, that was a succinct way of what I was trying to say above 🤣 Thank you.

It also looks like the planned legislation provides scope to enforce consumer protection, including compensation to vehicle owners, on manufacturers who fail to meet safety, security and environmental standards.

We are seeking powers to enable the Secretary of State for Transport to set out in secondary legislation a new automotive recall regime.

This will mean we can require a manufacturer or supplier to recall and/or remove from sale, vehicles and other automotive products.

This will apply when the vehicle or product is found not to comply with type approval, safety or security standards.

The regime will require manufacturers to identify and report any vehicles that do not meet safety or cyber-security standards. The Secretary of State for Transport would have the power to issue a recall notice.

The manufacturer would be required to achieve a minimum recall rate in respect of any unsafe vehicles or components. They might also be required to compensate vehicle owners.

Failure to comply with such a notice, including a failure to achieve the minimum recall rate, would be enforced through civil penalties.

We propose a power for the Secretary of State for Transport to direct vehicle manufacturers and system suppliers to address urgent safety, security or environmental issues.

Can't help but think these powers would have come in handy when Volkswagen were rumbled for cooking the books with their 'defeat devices', and claiming unrepresentative fuel consumption and emissions figures in their ads. It would have saved owners from having to pursue their own legal avenues for redress.

I imagine this is all the more pressing as more and more new cars are fitted with autonomous devices, like parking assistance and automatic lane detection systems.

If it turns out there's a software fault which can create danger for other road users, I'd sure as hell want to make sure it's not up to the car manufacturers' accountants to calculate it'd be cheaper to pay compensation for those killed and maimed than to recall their faulty products, Pinto style...