Purple Moose! Brownnova’s Ovlov! - Road Trip!!

brownnova

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Did the Christmas tree collection today, told the fella I had a small car and might struggle… 

BA3005DA-AC23-4ED1-84DA-FEC1F9D39B5D.jpeg

Other things we’ve learnt today… 

The horn is hilariously pathetic. Like a shit tugboat. But it’s so funny I won’t be fixing it!

The fuel gauge is… vague…

There’s a fun orange light that comes on when it’s under 2 degrees.

And that boot really is cavernous!!! 

Honestly it’s a superb superb vehicle! 

Tadts include guages and heater control valves. I don't suppose you have a spare heater control valve do you...?

11 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Fuel gauges are fond of moving but not of working, my old 740 used to display empty, 1/2 or full depending on how it felt.

That seems to be the case here. It didn’t move from half… and then on my way home it was on nearly empty! And then slowly glided upwards towards half again! 

12 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

With the manual box this must come dangerously close to being not slow...

It doesn’t hang around to be fair. Quicker than I was expecting!

But I do drive a 2CV… so everything is relative! 

Also, anybody who says they don't rust is a liar. The factory underseal is thicc and if water gets behind it the floorpans vanish despite being galv.

Both of mine were/are rotten here to a similar extent. Not a nightmare job, but it can let water into the chassis rails with obvious results. I think the 900 series are generally more durable, but they're still all old cars now...

• 2 weeks later...

10 days in to this being my main runabout. 

0ED038F5-6642-4304-A7A0-848B136898DE.jpeg

Reflections: it’s a superb thing. Yes there are a few little nightly things with it. E.g. the horn and the fact I have no idea how much fuel is in it. But it’s wonderful. Found it to be very comfy and goes much better than a massive brick ought to. Plan is to use this for Christmas visiting this year. The littlest one learned to say Volvo today too!
CDF4D172-199E-4B63-96AC-202C6D0435B6.jpegCA124DBF-E3B9-4115-B403-C1C708CBCC6E.jpeg

Of course it means I now have three executive cars from the 90s on the fleet…. 
7932945B-00E1-425C-84AC-91075F10D5EA.jpeg

Whilst the 9000 is as bit broken, the Merc is proving to be a surprise and surpasses my expectations too… will be hard to let one go in the spring.

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

I think I could very easily end up catching the Volvo bug and having more 😂

Glad to hear it’s growing on you @brownnova Seeing yours makes me want some OEM alloys for mine. Volvo  made some wonderfully tasteful wheels around this era. Hydras my favourites, but they’re hens teeth. 

2 minutes ago, KitKat said:

Glad to hear it’s growing on you @brownnova Seeing yours makes me want some OEM alloys for mine. Volvo  made some wonderfully tasteful wheels around this era. Hydras my favourites, but they’re hens teeth. 

A friend of mine said that the wheels were the cars biggest let down, that it should be on Dracos… I personally love the wheels! 

• brownnova changed the title to Purple Moose! Brownnova’s Ovlov! - Road Trip!!

Went to the midlands to visit the parentals and the 940 got the nod to be the steed of choice!

260 miles round trip.

Frankly just went to underline how much this car impresses! Faultless through the drive, it was dead comfy and fitted all the family gubbins in with ease. The wife and teenager loved the comfy seats and the smooth ride. My dad was impressed, and he’s not particularly a car guy, but he couldn’t believe how nice it was for the age. I really enjoyed driving it… to the point where normally Mrs BN and I share the driving but I wouldn’t let her at the wheel! 
27EDB95F-89E7-4FDC-A7EE-3883FB8033FA.jpeg

Then on the way back from visiting my gran, we found a Purple Moose twin! We all ended pointing at each other and grinning! 
4D5CB881-D615-4195-A018-AC74302E178A.jpeg

And drove in convoy round Stratford for a few minutes.

Also found fuel for the cheapest I’ve seen it anywhere for ages in Grindley Brook! 

9F012931-F01A-4846-9AC0-A4FBF41FB0AD.jpeg

Of course it would have been churlish not to brim the tank, so full to full we averaged 32MPG on this run… which considering were 4 up plus Family and Christmas crap, and it was Baltic isn’t bad!