How to properly check £800 civic.

Sir Chocolate Teapot

Some may know i bought this sight unseen honda civic off auto shite some time back.

In august finally got to see it, quick service and new battery and 2 tyres.

New mot.

Seems ok.

3 weeks ago drove it down to genova in Italy.

Today return journey fully over loaded, currently half way in hotel in france.

Sure beats the same journey in a suzuki sj !

Hightlights of overload, 98 kg jotul wood burner, 80 kgs gym weights, completely stuffed full of other stuff. I guess well over 400kgs plus me.

Cruises happy at indicated 70 mph, getting 41 mpg. More than happy.

Not happy with price of petrol.

Did get flashed by speed camera in france , 

Verdict so far, it works 

IMG_20211123_082728.thumb.jpg.4b4fc5b7ab52246cf28eba815bd018c5.jpg

IMG_20211122_183611.thumb.jpg.6f0a85d414c105647f5e1489fe959ab2.jpgIMG_20211123_082748.thumb.jpg.8dc4f0b72ae77e62d32c2229a7c1bbfc.jpg

As i am in no rush today for the ferry and yesterday i got flashed by a french speeding camera to offset the possible impending fine i decided yo take a detour avoiding tolls to save some money.

And to add some more countries to this trip.

Home via Luxembourg and Belgium.

This is sunny Belgium.

IMG_20211124_121758.thumb.jpg.1e0e9e6db0ae48d9c40734e675979de1.jpg

The civic is surprising good as a long distance load carrier. I am 1.80 m tall and slim. Driving position is comfy, lots of room for moving feet around and overall a feeling of space, apart from all stuff around me.

Special mention goes to heating controls, modern cars could learn loads from the heater control position and how well it all works.

IMG_20211124_121820.thumb.jpg.f6aa732afaacffed5bc550e56b817409.jpg

Notice the bottle holder which in the summer is cooled by aircon vent, by design ??.

Overall i am very impressed.

1 hour ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Special mention goes to heating controls, modern cars could learn loads from the heater control position and how well it all works...

100% this. So many cars have overcomplicated the climate system. The Civic (and other Hondas I think) have three knobs:

temp, fan speed, air direction.

That's all you need (plus the A/C and recirc switches). Very simple, very effective. 

We've had ours since 2016. They are like a limo in the back.

1.6 Auto, with the cruise set at about 60 it will return 47/48 MPG on a run.....thats calculated manually too.  

Zero complications with these,  SOHC engine, proper auto box , everything is well designed & easy to work on. 

Just a great everyday motor that you can jump in and know you will get where you need to go. 

Agreed on the auto 1.6 mpg- achieved 46 going to Germany and back despite caning It wherever possible including about 10 minutes flat out on the autobahn   .  Got mine off my parents - a very early one x707hba. Also an exec se with lovely heated seats.  It’s was well serviced but driven hard and never once went wrong