Motor Industry Graffiti

grogee

Bit of a long shot but I wonder if any of you have some great* pictures of wall-scrawling from places you've worked or visited.

Back in 2009 I was lucky* enough to visit the Ellesmere Port Vauxhall factory. They had obviously had a good scrub-up before the journo's arrived and the fresh paint was obvious everywhere. However, the eagle-eyed foreman had missed this gem.

07102009034.jpg

We had a tractor tug that had a placard hand amended for years, probably still there, that stated the maximum it could could tow was 1 G.T., which was shorthand for Ginger Tosser.

Said “Ginger Tosser” was quite fat but actually a top bloke in my book so no idea why that was there. I actually asked him about it but he didn’t really care. I quite respected that he was above such shit. 

I once had to take photos for a "how to" instruction manual for a contract at my old job,  a small gps unit that would often fail on the equipment we produced. It was a step by step guide that could be sent for people to use for assembling the replacement part on site. 

Expecting the person i knew who was writing the manual to pick up on them and have a chuckle i had taken the photos but in the background i had placed various items.  A handful of set Screws positoned so they spelt various words like "kill me/tits/cock/balls" on numerous photos, also a workmates bare bum cheeks perched upon the edge of the table just slightly out of focus.  A good 10 or so photos like this. 

He never clocked it, and thus a manual with a pair of arse cheeks and rude words was emailed to the customers. 

Ohh how he didnt laugh.

Not really grafitti, but sort of...  In the early 2000's I worked in a High Street bank, I was involved in various schemes that caused trouble.  One particular jape got me into a LOT of trouble.  In our office, we had a photo board of the staff and management, just 3" x 2" headshots with our names underneath.  We had a manager who was a bit of a plum, a David Brent-a-like if you will. 

One evening, when I had the ground floor to myself, I borrowed this manager feller's picture and wrote 'Do ya think I'm sexy?' onto a sheet of A4, placed his photo above it and photocopied it about 20 times.  Once the printer had finished spewing these out.  I drew out all of the paper (probably about 500 sheets) from the feed tray and dispersed the 'rogue' sheets face down, in amongst the contents of  the tray, purely at random so no two photograph sheets were together.  I then left the scene.  Nothing happened for a day or so.  Then we started getting phonecalls from other branches that had received memos from our office (the bank were very slow to adopt email).  The sheets with David Brent-a-like were getting everywhere.  Eventually, some senior manager of a processing centre phoned up and complained that he'd had to stop his team working the previous night as there had 'been a data protection breach' or some other cobblers.  That's right 'Do ya think I'm sexy?' had turned up and been scanned as a customer's ID document, it was then very difficult to delete from their system or some such twaddle.

It got traced back to me somehow, probably because no-one else there had lack of sanity to do such a thing and I got a verbal warning. 

There is a postscript to this, a bloke who I worked with had applied for a job internally and must have photocopied his CV before sending it.  Some weeks later, he was called to interview and the recruiting manager had his CV on the desk in front of him.  At one stage the recruiting manager lifted the document up to bring it closer to him, and, you've guessed it, our man, was on the back!

The bloke didn't get the job, mainly because he started pissing himself with laughter in the interview...

On 11/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, grogee said:

Bit of a long shot but I wonder if any of you have some great* pictures of wall-scrawling from places you've worked or visited.

Back in 2009 I was lucky* enough to visit the Ellesmere Port Vauxhall factory. They had obviously had a good scrub-up before the journo's arrived and the fresh paint was obvious everywhere. However, the eagle-eyed foreman had missed this gem.

07102009034.jpg

I'd imagine Noel was still pissed off with his kid brother at the time.

Interesting to know that he supplemented his early High Flying Birds earnings with those gained from assembling Vauxhall Corsas though. 

I can't remember where I saw it, it might have been on As, but I remember a picture of a rough gnarly old quarry truck, weather beaten and exposed to the elements. 

On the dash board were 3 old lucas switches, marked up in hand written tipp-ex "Lights", "Wiper" and "Fuck knows" 

TVR were well known for this sort of thing-a big cock and balls drawn on the roof before the headlining was fitted and the like.

230120950_qn3UOSJL(2).jpg.b94257eddbcbf226c4c3bab5bc3edd06.jpg

1893681538_jxoFhNLp(1).jpg.eb9f52839e94d7e428e55b8868c759d7.jpg

Apparently the boys building David Beckhams Cerbera left a few choice messages on the panels, hopefully he never had to lift the carpets on his to find a water leak...

On 11/25/2021 at 4:20 PM, sutty2006 said:

We used to have dicks EVERYWHERE but a lot have been removed including the employees responsible (they left of their own accord)

886A61EB-A106-440C-95D4-ECF2048DEAFD.jpeg

That's a detailed example, the mark of a professional. He's probably moved to somewhere his work is more appreciated.

The intercom buzzer HGV drivers use at the Eddie Stobart  “Multi modal gateway” at Widnes had a “all Vauxhall’s are shit” sticker applied by me in 2005ish and AFAIK it’s still there despite various attempts to peel it off. I did have a photo but lost it a while back. The sticker was part of an Autoshite sticker you could buy on the forum years ago.

Not quite graffiti but it used to be common for the cabs of power station turbine hall cranes to be plastered with jazz mag pictures. As they were all switched to remote control they became a bit of a time capsule. A guy I worked with refused to ever do any work that involved going inside the cabins as he had heard rumours his mum had posed for pics when she was younger and he didn’t want to risk seeing far more of her than he ever wanted. 

7 hours ago, Lankytim said:

The intercom buzzer HGV drivers use at the Eddie Stobart  “Multi modal gateway” at Widnes had a “all Vauxhall’s are shit” sticker applied by me in 2005ish and AFAIK it’s still there despite various attempts to peel it off. I did have a photo but lost it a while back. The sticker was part of an Autoshite sticker you could buy on the forum years ago.

I'm loving the AS forum vibe. Are stickers/merch still available?

49 minutes ago, rainagain said:

Not quite graffiti but it used to be common for the cabs of power station turbine hall cranes to be plastered with jazz mag pictures. As they were all switched to remote control they became a bit of a time capsule. A guy I worked with refused to ever do any work that involved going inside the cabins as he had heard rumours his mum had posed for pics when she was younger and he didn’t want to risk seeing far more of her than he ever wanted. 

<derail>

Yup, we have some places on my station like that too, although the turbine hall has disappeared completely. I found this in the redundant main change block once-
Cnut.jpg.660a064deec6d9f671b40da62e4cbe7e.jpg

Next to a telephone within the plant itself there's a bunch of signatures from peple working in the 90s and the obligatory "'x' likes to suck cock", tits and Playboy mags scattered in dark damp corners.

</derail>

On 11/25/2021 at 9:30 AM, Timewaster said:

I can't remember where I saw it, it might have been on As, but I remember a picture of a rough gnarly old quarry truck, weather beaten and exposed to the elements. 

On the dash board were 3 old lucas switches, marked up in hand written tipp-ex "Lights", "Wiper" and "Fuck knows" 

It would have been on here, I've seen the very truck in person!

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

<derail>

Yup, we have some places on my station like that too, although the turbine hall has disappeared completely. I found this in the redundant main change block once-
Cnut.jpg.660a064deec6d9f671b40da62e4cbe7e.jpg

Next to a telephone within the plant itself there's a bunch of signatures from peple working in the 90s and the obligatory "'x' likes to suck cock", tits and Playboy mags scattered in dark damp corners.

</derail>

Hang on, you work where?

26 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Oh ah - did you get a tv crew there a while back? Was interesting.

There mayyyyyyy have... I've been spending so much time in training I haven't been at work all that much to see what's been going on.