The wise men followed the (three pointed) star…

brownnova

2 minutes ago, loserone said:

What are these things like in the snow and wet?

Snow, dunno yet, but being RWD means they are probably hillarious*

In the wet they need decent rear tyres.  I've felt mine be a bit twitchy on cheap and worn-out tyres before now.  New rear tyres and it was superb again.  FWD will always be a bit more stable and sure-footed in slippery conditions, but for a large, long, farly heavy RWD car, they handle well.

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Day one… issue one… 

I wound the drivers window down and it didn’t want to go back up. Damn. It was inching up with each push of the button and then just stopped.

So it was a cold drive to nursery for me and the nipper (thankfully the heaters are pretty damn good) I kept trying it intermittently.

Got to nursery and on the way out tried it again and… it worked… note to self don’t wind the windows down on a cold morning! 

TADS. 

Try half pressing the up switch.  My copilot glass does similar sometimes. Feels like the anti jam is triggering. Goes up smoothly if you half press the switch. 

A better man would investigate further. I cba and just press lightly for smooth operation. 

HTH. 

1 hour ago, Jim Bell said:

TADS. 

Try half pressing the up switch.  My copilot glass does similar sometimes. Feels like the anti jam is triggering. Goes up smoothly if you half press the switch. 

I better man would investigate further. I cba and just press lightly for smooth operation. 

HTH. 

Funnily enough… I think you’re spot on here. I did try it at first with no joy, but when I did get it to close it was only pushing it very lightly.

As @Talbot says it may have been quite some time since they were opened! 

Merc came with an interesting collection of CDs in the boot… 

38702FA1-7378-4103-8271-A2B36AD8DB87.jpeg

Except when I opened the cases it turns out there is one disc of now 88, but the rest is random stuff like Roy Orbison, the Beach Boys, UB 40, Dire Straits and Cher!!

Sadly the stereo seems inoperative… 

Something more like this:

20211124_164225[1].jpg

It's not the correct one for the car, but is period correct and fits the general style.  The volume knob should be black rubber, but it perished and went sticky, so the white plastic behind it will have to do for the moment.

Also, yes, Cassettes.  There is also a CD head unit in the same style.

10 days in… how’s the Merc getting on?

Its been in full frontal usage until today, and it’s a superb bit of kit! Has taken everything thrown  at it in its stride. It’s comfortable, quiet, relaxing and runs superbly. I’ve not found anything that doesn’t work! I’ve actually rather liked commuting in it! 

It’s in need of at least one tyre, probably 2, and it loses traction for fun! But I’m absolutely made up with it. It’s been a superbly surprising purchase!