The wise men followed the (three pointed) star…

brownnova

We have 64 miles of range on the MG… and we’re off to Rhyl.

Off to collect the car which will take the brunt of the commuting to save the Pontiac and allows me to sell a couple of the others.

Ive never owned something from this brand… so new territory for me! 

• brownnova changed the title to The wise men followed the (three pointed) star… a collection thread!

I’ve never had a Benz before… an never really got the hype, so maybe it’s time to find out.

I’d cast the net wide for the search for a winter car, when this popped up nearby. I dismissed it. It really considering a Merc… but when a week later a friend sent me a link to the ad, I had another look. After missing out on a Volvo I wanted, nearly buying a BMW 325, and then discussing some other options on the zoom on Tuesday it came down to a straight shoot between this and a diesel 75, and this just seemed heaps betterer. 

C8B248E2-A24E-4F8D-8B78-B26B259937F8.jpeg25438014-5167-4D19-93FD-E6000D159D57.jpeg644E2502-AB41-496C-9A2A-76E87BB1CC39.jpegFA67F125-9AA1-44AC-A4DA-ECD88D946411.jpegEFB6AE1D-1F09-42BE-A836-222E6FE28308.jpeg3974A10C-4DBA-49B9-8926-4215B0353D58.jpegF90B9EFB-3AAD-4371-B0C7-621D9BC27F42.jpeg

Yes… that’s 56k, backed up with service history and mots. It drives beautifully, and is very very comfortable! Very little rust, just a small blob or two on the rear of the arch.

Fingers crossed this might be a rather nice steer! 

That looks very nice and not yet run in. I also had never considered a Mercedes and always fancied a Rover 75 but was put off by them being front wheel drive,  I have driven over 3,000 miles in my Mercedes since buying it in July and am still impressed by how nice it is to drive, even better since I had new tyres fitted yesterday. Very good choice.

2 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

That's lovely man. 

Welcome to benzgang. No jags allowed. 

Am I not allowed in the gang? I have a silver E320 but also have a Jag. The Jag is a proper one (series 1 XJ6 )

I always preferred Jags but the Mercedes has much more room inside and is a better ride, also much more economical. It doesn’t  have the looks of a Jag though.

Ooooo... a pre-facelift petrol saloon.  That is proper hens-teeth stuff.  Looking at the ride height it looks like a Classic or Elegance model (not an Avantgarde) so should be superbly comfortable, very smooth and (being petrol) very quiet too.

Completely anonymous on the road and at the absolute bottom of it's depreciation curve, hence utterly overlooked, but a superb car.  A  240 won't exactly set the world on fire, but it will be utterly competent at anything you throw at it.

26 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Ooooo... a pre-facelift petrol saloon.  That is proper hens-teeth stuff.  Looking at the ride height it looks like a Classic or Elegance model (not an Avantgarde) so should be superbly comfortable, very smooth and (being petrol) very quiet too.

They said Talbot knew his stuff about W210s… 

It is indeed an Elegance, and is superbly comfortable and incredible in both smoothness and quietness! 

2 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I’m almost certain they came with 100k from the factory!

not that you'd know when driving it.  Given that I have a clattery old diesel that starts on 5 cylinders, has shot suspension bushes, a gearbox that is beginning to concern me and is on nearly 240k miles, but is still quieter, smoother and more comfortable than many modernz...

25 minutes ago, brownnova said:

It is indeed an Elegance, and is superbly comfortable and incredible in both smoothness and quietness! 

I was very pleasantly surprised at both the smoothness and quietness when I first drove mine. I think the word I'd use to best describe the driving experience is Effortless. They're not at their best around twisty-turny B roads, but if you just want to go places and do things, a w210 is a great way to convey yourself around. The larger engined options have even got a bit of spunk if you tread firmly too. Not V8 torque, but they launch respectably and keep going if you maintain your clog stomping. 

Id not sell mine. 

So be careful. Your winter car might hang around longer than a Christmas dinner fart. 

11 minutes ago, Talbot said:

not that you'd know when driving it.  Given that I have a clattery old diesel that starts on 5 cylinders, has shot suspension bushes, a gearbox that is beginning to concern me and is on nearly 240k miles, but is still quieter, smoother and more comfortable than many modernz...

This is a huge testament not only to build quality but to previous owners.

but take it from me, occasionally we have older Mercedes trucks in work, for example a 2013 Axor rigid, which drives utterly perfect with 800k up it. Yet a later truck from 2018/19 drives like a pile of dog shit. It’s weird. MP2/3 actros drive a lot better than MP4/5!!!! 

• brownnova changed the title to The wise men followed the (three pointed) star…

Day one… issue one… 

I wound the drivers window down and it didn’t want to go back up. Damn. It was inching up with each push of the button and then just stopped.

So it was a cold drive to nursery for me and the nipper (thankfully the heaters are pretty damn good) I kept trying it intermittently.

Got to nursery and on the way out tried it again and… it worked… note to self don’t wind the windows down on a cold morning! 

Could be muck in the switch. Try some contact cleaner when it's warmer.

You also need to put a 'note to self' on the switch reminding you not to use it - so easy to forget and end up with the window stuck miles from home. 

May just be lack of use.

That car was a steal - amazed it hung about long enough for you to decide.

Get into the arches and 'de-mud' them and get some wax in temporarily  to hold the rust. These can really rust if it takes hold - problem with the original  paint formula  I think.

Enjoy.

You often find with 210s (and many other cars too) that the interior ventilation is so good, windows barely ever get opened.  if you've no reason to do so (car parks etc.) then they can get very sticky due to lack of use.  The rear windows in my 210 needed excercising several times before they ran smoothly when I got it.. I don't think they'd been used in well over a decade.