Saab 9-3 - DV55 WGO

cpjitservices

Bulb, couple of ball joints and a steering rack. Plus a clean up of the front brakes. Meh, that’s general maintenance.

would if I could. Can’t so I won’t.

The steering rack is one of three types on that. If you’re lucky, it’s the non-sensor version as thats the cheapest but as experienced a year or so ago when mine blew its seals onto the MoT tester, they’re readily available. Your garage doesn’t want the job as it involves a subframe drop to change the rack.

3 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Bulb, couple of ball joints and a steering rack. Plus a clean up of the front brakes. Meh, that’s general maintenance.

would if I could. Can’t so I won’t.

The steering rack is one of three types on that. If you’re lucky, it’s the non-sensor version as thats the cheapest but as experienced a year or so ago when mine blew its seals onto the MoT tester, they’re readily available. Your garage doesn’t want the job as it involves a subframe drop to change the rack.

Yeah to be fair.. my poor unc hasnt got that much to spend on getting it fixed either really. Would be a shame... but I dont think he could afford to get it all done. Especially when its sitting on 212k and not running the best... I am suspicious of the DPF.

Mine was a bill for about £350 all in for a similar job. Saabs are not cheap things to keep on top of properly so maybe it’s for the best if you’re uncle isn’t up for that sort of challenge.

Mine cost a fair amount to maintain and that was for a low mileage car with a wad of history when I bought it. I kept on top of it as I used it for popping over to Europe on a whim. It was sublime for covering distance in but it came at a cost.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

Mine was a bill for about £350 all in for a similar job. Saabs are not cheap things to keep on top of properly so maybe it’s for the best if you’re uncle isn’t up for that sort of challenge.

Mine cost a fair amount to maintain and that was for a low mileage car with a wad of history when I bought it. I kept on top of it as I used it for popping over to Europe on a whim. It was sublime for covering distance in but it came at a cost.

Aye his situation is not the best at the moment, such is life huh

5 minutes ago, cpjitservices said:

Aye his situation is not the best at the moment, such is life huh

When I realised that I couldn’t afford to run it, it was sold and replaced by something I could maintain properly on my reduced budget. It’s not what I’d want to run but cutting my cloth and all that.

But fuck me, I miss that thing.

When my Subaru Forester turned out to have all the structural integrity of a bowl of branflakes, I mentioned to the mechanic/ coroner that I was thinking about a Saab to replace it... He told me not to even think about it, as he's having serious bother getting parts for them these days. He has a few 9-5s and 9-3s sat out in his yard, currently unfixable and turning green and cobwebby...

It's a real shame that so many of these cars are going off the road; I really like them. I'd love to own one before they get mega-rare.

But because I'm an idiot, I bought another Subaru...

Which is odd as Saabs have one of the best spares supplies for a defunct manufacturer around. Are the parts cheap? Hell no, and that is the heart of the issue.

Saabs (and Volvos for that matter) take money to maintain. They wee not cheap cars and consequently, the parts to maintain them were not cheap either. Folk wishing to run one of these successfully on a shoestring will be on a hiding to nothing because as soon as the goodwill of the previous owners maintenance has run out, large bills will ensue and that’s not what folk want from what they see as a disposable item. 

Saabs (and I think this is part of the reason of why people either ‘get ‘ them or don’t) are not disposable items. They are to be maintained and cared for and that takes a lot more money than trying to run a Focus or whatever. Those prepared to put their wallet where their mouth is are rewarded with a very capable car that will serve them well for many years. Those who don’t find the bills rack up rapidly and wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to run one. It’s all about mindset, you see. As Saabs are seen as cheap banger fodder, this lesson is lost and therefore they get a bad reputation of being difficult and expensive.

Treat one well and it will serve you well. Don’t and I guarantee that it will bite you hard.