Garage of Luke's Garage - The UK's Cheapest Range Rover

GarageOfLuke

4 hours ago, loserone said:

That tiida is fit.  

Said fit Tiida is now available for sale - I'm gonna pull a cheeky one and stick a listing in here as well, seeing as nobody down here seems to have a clue what they are, I don't expect it to be an easy sell. I'll of course pop my usual Autoshite discount on there as well. 

z6gt0z7.jpg

On 19/11/2021 at 23:51, Tadhg Tiogar said:

This is the bit I've never understood, especially when a great many of those cars were available in RHD. It was almost like there was kudos in making life a touch more difficult.

Is it something to do with lots of RHD 'German' cars not being made in Germany?  Lots are, I think, made in South Africa.  Perhaps the Japanese buy the left hand drives to guarantee that the car is actually German.  

I think the Japanese are just used more to LHD cars than we are, as in the 1950s many of the cars on the road were American due to the many, many Yanks over there, firstly running the country in the late 1940s, and then later on using Japan as an convenient location to ‘manage’ the Korean War.

So until the early 1960s and the take-off of their domestic industry a lot of vehicles circulating in the secondhand market would have been LHD.

In the 1970s/80s Yank tanks got a slightly edgier reputation as they were favoured by the Yakusa (organised crime groups) - like in  the film ‘Black Rain’ where the bosses drive Cadillacs and Lincolns.

• 3 weeks later...

I might have slightly forgotten to update this in three bloody weeks, but here we go: 

I've done the unthinkable and taken a Zafira into stock, which somehow hasn't yet caught fire. 

bY7oSB9.jpg

Not only that, but we've also invested in a Twin Busch scissor lift, which can be seen here, modelling duties undertaken by the RX-8 (which is looking likely for an early burial at this rate). 

Dpkv6Zg.jpg

The scissor ramp certainly makes things a tonne easier, as does the DeWalt impact gun in the picture - never again shall I be beaten by seized bolts - they either come loose, or find themselves turned into a powder. 

Some good news though - while one Mazda is misbehaving, the other one certainly isn't. 

Kurt passed another MOT on Tuesday with flying colours, and as a reward is being kept out of storage for the week, to get some kilometres under his belt. 

Nice sunset to celebrate, too. 

Ldj0Zuw.jpg

21 hours ago, GarageOfLuke said:

Some good news though - while one Mazda is misbehaving, the other one certainly isn't. 

Kurt passed another MOT on Tuesday with flying colours, and as a reward is being kept out of storage for the week, to get some kilometres under his belt. 

Nice sunset to celebrate, too. 

Ldj0Zuw.jpg

What's the wheel setup on your '5? They'd look good on my MR2 roadster...

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

What’s in stock atm? A friend of mine text earlier this week as he’s on his arse and needs a cheap motor. 

At the moment, I've got the Zafira and Tiida available (the Tiida, I still maintain, is the ultimate cheap-motor-not-care-mobile), and a 2008 A3 1.9TDi about to have a cambelt and MOT. 

Still have the Infiniti G37s awaiting prep, although that's a bit of a pricey one! If he's desperate and just needs something dirt cheap with ticket, my next auction is Tuesday and there'll inevitably be something woeful available there :)

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, GarageOfLuke said:

I mean, if this isn't a proper bit of Autoshite, I'm not sure what is: 

Zh0d0rW.jpg

Fiesta Finesse with the 1.3 Endura engine, on a massive - wait for it - 22k miles! 

We had a very low mileage ghia. Sadly the mileage is irrelevant once everything below the waistline turns into bran flakes - which these fiesta's do with aplomb.

16 minutes ago, GarageOfLuke said:

I mean, if this isn't a proper bit of Autoshite, I'm not sure what is: 

Zh0d0rW.jpg

Fiesta Finesse with the 1.3 Endura engine, on a massive - wait for it - 22k miles! 

Love that generation of Fiesta. That one looks rather nice.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, SRi05 said:

Could make some cash selling that plate to a W202 Merc owner, can you do that with an original plate ? 🤓

Annoyingly I don't think you can retain an original plate, at least as far as I'm aware! 

On 2/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Missy Charm said:

Has it got power steering?

Sadly yes, so it doesn't quite fit the bill of being totally shite :(

On 2/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Bren said:

We had a very low mileage ghia. Sadly the mileage is irrelevant once everything below the waistline turns into bran flakes - which these fiesta's do with aplomb.

It's survived remarkably well, this one. There was some scabbing on the sill but a quick go on it with a wire wheel has left me with some shiny metal and no hole, so I'm gonna say that's a win! 

44 minutes ago, fatharris said:

You say you deal with importing from Japan - is that strictly cars, or could it be car parts too? I'm after bits for my Honda Beat and I always feel a bit uneasy dealing with unknown import companies.

I only do whole cars I'm afraid, and these days seem to end up doing less and less of them! 

10 hours ago, fatharris said:

You say you deal with importing from Japan - is that strictly cars, or could it be car parts too? I'm after bits for my Honda Beat and I always feel a bit uneasy dealing with unknown import companies.

My mate Gav imports a lot of parts from Japan, if you find me on FB I'll put you in touch with him.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, GarageOfLuke said:

Annoyingly I don't think you can retain an original plate, at least as far as I'm aware! 

As long as it doesn’t state ‘non transferable number’ in the notes on the front page of the V5, you can put it on retention.

Just pay your £80 and they will issue it with another age related number (along with an updated V5 that will say ‘non transferable number’ on the front page)

• GarageOfLuke changed the title to Garage of Luke's Shite Trader and Rot Diaries

It's been a surprisingly busy few weeks, but finally remembered to put something in here. 

Firstly, as some of you may have seen on another post, my Twingo is a bit rotty. But fear not, as thanks to a handy fabricator friend, it'll likely be all sorted in a few weeks time. In the meantime, I'll show off the photo of it sitting on the new coilovers again, as it makes me quite happy. The Twingo Mk1 Owners club of the UK probably aren't very happy about it, as even the fact it's got the wrong headlights fitted appeared to put some of them into Defcon 1. 

pfM3Irn.jpeg

Additionally, some actual motor trading has been going on. I even got the pleasure the other day of being offered a 'rot free' MX5 that a friend had recently purchased, which was, upon inspection, indeed remarkably rot free. 

2HgBQV8.jpeg

Fair to say I wasn't interested in buying it for the absolute bargain price of double-scrap-money that it'd been offered for. At the other end of the spectrum, a rather nice BMW 535i that I picked up at ACA a couple weeks ago is now up for sale, although I can't pretend I didn't fancy keeping this one for myself just a little bit, as it's a cracking car to drive. 

IbCHnF7.jpeg

7 hours ago, GarageOfLuke said:

It's been a surprisingly busy few weeks, but finally remembered to put something in here. 

Firstly, as some of you may have seen on another post, my Twingo is a bit rotty. But fear not, as thanks to a handy fabricator friend, it'll likely be all sorted in a few weeks time. In the meantime, I'll show off the photo of it sitting on the new coilovers again, as it makes me quite happy. The Twingo Mk1 Owners club of the UK probably aren't very happy about it, as even the fact it's got the wrong headlights fitted appeared to put some of them into Defcon 1. 

pfM3Irn.jpeg

Additionally, some actual motor trading has been going on. I even got the pleasure the other day of being offered a 'rot free' MX5 that a friend had recently purchased, which was, upon inspection, indeed remarkably rot free. 

2HgBQV8.jpeg

Fair to say I wasn't interested in buying it for the absolute bargain price of double-scrap-money that it'd been offered for. At the other end of the spectrum, a rather nice BMW 535i that I picked up at ACA a couple weeks ago is now up for sale, although I can't pretend I didn't fancy keeping this one for myself just a little bit, as it's a cracking car to drive. 

IbCHnF7.jpeg

What kind of money is on the 5 series chap?

12 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

What kind of money is on the 5 series chap?

Strong money - £4495 on it - but I think the market knows what they're worth as soon as the arches aren't rotten, as I've managed to receive a couple calls just through the C&C ad today alone. I'd of course do an offer for Autoshiters as usual, but I've got an inkling it won't be hanging around.