Sad News for the ASMM and SVM and the HOLE WELD

outlaw118

Howdy all.

I was bored and SWMBO is annoying me, so I googled Cannock Auctions to see if they'd lifted their £200 cash entry/deposit requirement, so we can all go and play again. And suffocate on fumes. And eat burgers of questionable origin.

Their website was down giving a blank page and some stuff about 3rd party advertisers, so I ventured onto their Facebook page. 

Posted Sunday There will be a Saturday auction only until further notice. No Tuesday auctions . Monday for payments. Thursday and Friday for entries.

No worries. Posted today:

We regret to inform everyone that Cannock Motor Auctions Ltd has now ceased trading.
We thank staff and customers for their loyal service and trade.

So, one questions where all the trade-in shite that main dealers / nearly-new traders get traded in will be going now?  It has to get from the trade-in garage to the bombsite snotters yard somehow, and I can't believe that's all being done online now.

With prices the way they are I wouldn’t have thought the auctions made much sense on old bangers, once you’ve paid the premium it’s near enough what you’d pay private anyways. Apart from big P/ex places like Motorpoint who’d take hundred a week through, most small to medium sized outfits had trade people that would take everything between a price point. 

Years ago used to go to Bawtry Motor Auctions, there would be ‘a selection of cars taken in P/ex from Yes Car credit’. Basically all the nails part chopped on a doom blue Meriva on 18.9% APR. 

Scrap prices seem to be high at the minute, and anything Japanese with an original cat still on it appears to be sought after. I imagine it's making more and more sense for traders to weigh in anything old than face the general ball-ache of trailering it to an auctionhouse and hoping it makes them £18 profit after all the fees and commissions.

From a buyer's end where I am, garages seem to be quoting very long wait times to even look at a car right now - at a guess, delayed MOTs due to COVID and malfunctioning cars that were laid up for a few months are creating a perfect storm along with a shortage of mechanics and trouble getting some parts. Suddenly taking a punt on a car that needs a wheel bearing and and new shocks is more of a headache if it'll be a month before it can be fixed and put back on the road.

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

So, one questions where all the trade-in shite that main dealers / nearly-new traders get traded in will be going now?  It has to get from the trade-in garage to the bombsite snotters yard somehow, and I can't believe that's all being done online now.

I think it will mainly be done on line, much easier for the sales manager to type in the details and have it collected. It was always to expensive to take the bangers to auction when I was doing it so it was the marginal cars that went to auction.

so-much-sadness-wow.jpg.6aef97595da32614751ab1937f2a3b10.jpg

Shame.  Whilst I've not been to a motor auction in a fair while, the ones I used to go to were absolutely hillarious.  Some utter utter nails being sold off for peanuts, every dodgy motor dealer for miles around all with their glasses guide books open, questionable burgers, even more questionable cars for sale, and a generally amusing day out.

Southamton motor auctions, down on the docks, used to have some absolute disasters being sold there.  Stuff that wouldn't start, stuff that had signifcant damage, utter wrecks of ex-taxis, etc.etc.  It's also where I saw what can only be described as the most knackered transit van that has ever existed.  It had *everything* wrong with it.  Literally everything:  Dog-chewed interior, broken windscreen, screwdriver ignition, galloping rot, an engine that barely ran on 3 cylinders, mayo in the radiator (missing rad cap.. can't be run with it on!), all tyres bald as hell, sheared off damper mountings, broken tail lamps.   The list goes on and on and on.  And someone bought it.

Fun times.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

Places I know of trading let’s say £10k plus cars usually have a bombsite trader who takes it directly between a price point, so he might take whatever under £2,000. Otherwise it’s just not cost effective trailering 15 year old bangers down the auctions. Unless it’s a big outfit that has the sort of set up to do that.

I'm picturing a BBC4 programme where two historians are carefully turning the pages of Sloth in a Bowl's annotated price lists with white gloves. 

"Look, here. What does that say, Peugeot? Peugeot 406. And what's the price, it sold for? I think that it says £260."

"Quite amazing"

"Yes, amazing. A Peugeot 406"

"Hmm, yes"

"Amazing"

"yes"

(page is turned delicately) 

2 hours ago, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

I'm picturing a BBC4 programme where two historians are carefully turning the pages of Sloth in a Bowl's annotated price lists with white gloves. 

"Look, here. What does that say, Peugeot? Peugeot 406. And what's the price, it sold for? I think that it says £260."

"Quite amazing"

"Yes, amazing. A Peugeot 406"

"Hmm, yes"

"Amazing"

"yes"

(page is turned delicately) 

"Next to some entries is written strange phrases such as" Aunt Edna's Daily Driver" and "white van man wanker". Historians are trying to crack the code but to no avail"