Montytoms p6 things getting sorted.

montytom

6 hours ago, HMC said:

Lovely! I saw this for sale when it was listed a bit earlier along side a Humber super snipe I think. I did ask a question but got no reply. Same price and same vendor I think. IIRC the interior is called “box pleat” and was part of a later revision to address concerns about lack of rear leg room- pragmatic BL solution- make the front seats thinner.

Yes he had a humber for sale aswell. This was up for £3295 and I actually sent messages regarding it but didnt get an answer

Then i looked on facebook and it had just been reduced to £2795. I messaged and he sent me a number and we negotiated to £2600. Hes a trader but deals in modern stuff so didnt have a clue about the car.

6 hours ago, SiC said:

Saw this in my searches too. Was quite tempted but if I go P6, it'll have to be full fat V8 to justify the other expenditures they often require. 

I've never felt the want or need to be honest to go v8 in these. I'm just after memories and the four cylinder was the one that I had memories of. I can understand why people would want to though.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Agreed. The 1973 Ro80 I had in the early 2000s was very brown.

Sounds great any pictures?

I (mistakenly) avoided buying this as I thought / had been scared off with stories of superficially good p6s that are  shagged.

Instead I bought a shagged looking p4 that was even more shagged than it looked or was described as. That a p4 doesnt have inboard rear discs @Junkman is the only  upside to my purchasing skillzz 

10 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

I bet you get asked that about as many times as I get asked about the Stellar "Did you know these were based on the Cortina?"

Or like when I say to someone I have an old Vw camper they ask if it's a split screen! 

Edit to get back on topic- I love a horizontal speedo! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/11/2021 at 17:06, Tadhg Tiogar said:

They're on a spare HDD. Must get it connected up.

Be good to see thanks

On 13/11/2021 at 18:43, HMC said:

I (mistakenly) avoided buying this as I thought / had been scared off with stories of superficially good p6s that are  shagged.

Instead I bought a shagged looking p4 that was even more shagged than it looked or was described as. That a p4 doesnt have inboard rear discs @Junkman is the only  upside to my purchasing skillzz 

Trust me I'm usually rubbish but my dad has had more of these than I can remember and knows them inside out. This one's also had recon calipers a couple of years ago. 

On 13/11/2021 at 22:48, mat_the_cat said:

I bet you get asked that about as many times as I get asked about the Stellar "Did you know these were based on the Cortina?"

When I was 18 I had my first one. People came up asking and when told it was a 2000 they said oh and wondered off.

On 14/11/2021 at 09:40, dave j said:

Or like when I say to someone I have an old Vw camper they ask if it's a split screen! 

Edit to get back on topic- I love a horizontal speedo! 

Thankyou that was one of the criteria 

• montytom changed the title to Montytoms p6 lots of bits boughted
  • montytom changed the title to Montytoms p6 things getting sorted.

Ok so a little more information.

My father has had many of these and when I was 18 I had a tobacco leaf 2000.

I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago and decided to get some bits for when I returned.

When I returned all the said packages were waiting for me.

Now the car is currently not running due to the carb being taken off. 

The carb has been cleaned but we are waiting on the service kit for it to determine how much we split the carb down.

I need to give the leather a clean and feed but i dont want anything too powerful as i dont want to destroy the leather. 

I changed one of the front side light lens due to it not having the pip. I have also changed the rear lens on one side due to it being over tightened in the past and cracked.

We also put a new interior dome in. 

I had to buy a set of front headrests due to a previous owner deciding to paint the sandalwood coloured ones in what looks like dulux paint. I cannot believe  anyone would look at it and think that's a grand job that.

I pulled the rear seats to have a look and it's really good under there no rust.

I have had a look underneath and while it has been welded it seems to be of a good standard and also then treated. The car seems to be 100 per cent solid.