Cheap tyres you were impressed with?

Bren

23 hours ago, Fraz said:

I’m a great fan of nexen nfera tyres. Used them on many of the family style barges I’ve driven and they are great....

Another vote here for Nexen; have used them on the dizzler Borat. Nexen's associated brand is Roadstone (same parent company), which I'm currently using and are alright so far....

are they cheap? not sure

anyway the C5 came with Nexen's on it when i bought it

i was  thinking oh god ditchfinders, but, all 4 were brand new

thought i'd give them a go

wow

i am so impressed, really really impressed

grip levels are superb in both wet and dry, wear is decent and they're very quiet

so much so, i'm seriously considering getting another set when these need replacing

Plenty of good experience with Hankook and Nexen here. Both South Korean and some VW models have Nexen as OE fitment.

I rate Vredestein too, and I’m currently running Falkens on the daily Honda Accord, and I’ve been impressed.

Cant see the sense in really cheap no name tyres. Even if they don’t wear out, cracks or out of shape bulges seem to finish them off. I’ve been in the motor trade over 20 years so I’ve ive seen and driven thousands of tyres and better tyres are worth the expenditure.

Id say if your about saving every pound possible, the total life cost should be considered. It’s cheaper to spend 60 every three years, than 50 every two kinda thing.

I had Hankook Ventus Evo somethings on my old Puma and they were very nice. Beautiful tread pattern too... 

Uniroyal rain experts would be my choice of choice if I had to drive alot in the rain... Wore quite quickly on a zx though 🤔

My Xsara came with mitchelins when I bought it and despite being quite recent tyres were all cracked and perished... I don't do too many miles so that's a consideration too... Don't cry as much when a £34 tyre perishes after a few years due to few miles

I've had Nexen n'fera recently, on my 508 GT and my RCZ they were pretty good. My RCZ came with Davanti tyres, they were fucking horrible. Like driving on ice if you fancied doing corners at above 20mph.

I put Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 on my GT 86 and I'm really happy.

They work perfectly wet and dry.

My 545 has delinte thunder on the front - fitted by the trader who sold me the car.

I need two rears - I am not putting cheap tyres on the rear of a 300 + hp car. One of my local mobiles offers goodyear eagles at £146 each - the best up to now.

I'm not sure I'd say Kumho, Falken and Hankook are in the spirit of this thread. Even with some of the performance cars, they're very popular.

They're also not chinese - Kumho and Hankook are South Korean. Falken are Japanese.

I can add though, I'll be changing my "goodway" tyre as soon as I can practically afford.

3 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

Are Avons cheap...? They're not Chinese, anyway.

I got four for my 850 in a Black Friday deal last year for £45 a corner fitted. They've been really good so far, absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Keep an eye on Hot UK Deals around Black Friday, you might get lucky.

I found they cracked quite quickly but they are reasonably priced 

I’ve just last night had to replace a set of Kumho Crugens on my wife’s Carnival. 0620 date stamp, fitted last August, and they were utterly fucked. The tread was absolutely fine but they were square. Car was shaking like a shitting dog, pulling all over the place, noisy and genuinely terrifying.

I got them to do a four wheel alignment and it was all spot on. Can only imagine its down to having sat around for long periods over the last year but still, that is just shit.

5949C46E-57CC-49C0-8CC1-0EA1ED078CA6.jpeg

On 02/11/2021 at 14:58, GeordieInExile said:

Are Avons cheap...? They're not Chinese, anyway.

I got four for my 850 in a Black Friday deal last year for £45 a corner fitted. They've been really good so far, absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Keep an eye on Hot UK Deals around Black Friday, you might get lucky.

I think Avon is owned by Cooper (USA) these days.

On 11/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, sutty2006 said:

Landsails on the Carlton we’re £25 a corner, and I was very impressed with them. 

Crikey, I just paid £70 for one 😅

Tbh I did ring up the place just before it was closing, and arrived 1hr later (after changing the spare in the pissing rain) , so I can't grumble as they didn't have to stay open for me.

1 minute ago, Minimad5 said:

Crikey, I just paid £70 for one 😅

Tbh I did ring up the place just before it was closing, and arrived 1hr later (after changing the spare in the pissing rain) , so I can't grumble as they didn't have to stay open for me.

Unsure. I can get tyres though work. Unsure who we use but I’m guessing it’s at a trade price kinda. And that was about 4 years ago now. Landsail may have sailed up a bit! 

On 31/10/2021 at 18:19, fraser.innes.3 said:

Still don't chance them. Just ordered Michelin PS4's, £85 a corner for 225/45 17's y rated.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree. I paid about £100 ea for PS4s ( 225/40 x 18) . Cheapest available , Kormoran or Runway we’re about £65, so I could save £140 a set.

They  will last about about 5 years , so that’s £28 a year or 50p a week, to have the best possible tyres. Non brainer to me.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:00 PM, C1am said:

Same here, I'm happy with them. 

Had two auto green sport chaser on the front of the CRV, done some very very wet trips to Scotland and pushed on with them and always found them to behave very well, they now need changing and last time I checked I couldn’t get my size, 215/65/16 from national 

Personally always been reasonably happy with Nexen N'Fera SU4s or the equivalent Roadstone Eurovis Sport 04s on the non-sporty stuff, available very cheap on eBay usually. 

Apart from that, the new Toyo TR1s are an improvement on the T1Rs (that's not saying much, mind) and at less than 40 a corner in my Eunos Roadster's size (195 50 15) I most definitely can't complain. Mid range brand for budget money is always a winner in my book.