Cheap tyres you were impressed with?

Bren

We have had various posts about tyres - have you ever had cheap tyres that you were happy with?

I read the other day that the UK is the biggest consumer of chinese tyres in Europe. Not really surprising - many people feel that good quality rubber is a waste.

I bought "Accelera" 20 inch tyres for my 7 series for £73 each and they're absolutely find. I took off expensive branded run flats as they had side wall bulges (a common run flat issue) and there's no difference in handling or tyre noise and the ride is better as they're not rock hard like the run flats.

31 minutes ago, Bren said:

We have had various posts about tyres - have you ever had cheap tyres that you were happy with?

Not really. When I've had cheap tyres they've been OK in the dry but have never felt good for standing water, and we get a lot of rain in this country! At present I've Uniroyal Rainsports on the Focus, Bridgestone all seasons on the TT and Goodyear Eagle F1s on the Boxster, all of which give confidence over a range of conditions.

I needed a set of  cheap rear tyres quickly to get my old XJR through its mot. The local pre worn place fitted 2 ancient tyres off an old dung spreader or something and it was completely un drivable in the wet I couldn't even pull away from junctions. I had to then go buy 2 new decent tyres so I could use it without shiteing myself.

I actually thought that the bfg k02 were utterly crap on my hilux. I changed them for Bridgestone Road terrains and improved the truck. I was never really off road though, it might of been different if I were.

My skoda yeti has Michelin cross climate on the front and kormoran suv on the rear. I don't really feel any difference in them, but then I don't push it very hard.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

I'm a proper stickler for good tyres. My 320d came with Landsails all round and they're surprisingly good - definitely better than I expected. They were all nearly new though and still have plenty of tread so have the potential to become awful. I have bought a set of Goodyear winter tyres for winter and will probably change in mid November. 

When it is time to replace the Landsails, I'll find a decent brand. I tend to rate Yokohama as a go-to for a compromise of cost and quality 

I don't have good experience with budget/cheap tyres - Hankook, Falken et al is about as low as I'll go. 

That said I mostly drive cars with 14" tyres, and when Goodyear, Dunlop and Conti are £50 a corner on Camskill there's no point in buying anything else - the saving over budget tyres is about £50 in total. 

I had a pair of "Imperial" tyres from Just Tyres for my Peugeot 3008 a few years ago, and they were actually quite good in all weathers. As in, the car didn't go straight on at a roundabout after a bit of rain - not like the Sailun coffin finders would do to me on my 107.

I’ve been really happy with the Vredestein tyres I had fitted to the C2, made a massive difference and £42 a corner fitted through Tyres on the drive. Certainly can feel the road a lot better than with the dreadful budgets on it previously.

Marshal, Hankook and Falken I’ve also had good experiences with but they are now starting to get pricy. Kumho I have nongood words for. At the moment.

7 hours ago, Soundwave said:

I've always had decent results with Kumho tyres. Not too expensive either, ran my previous Mk3 Panda on Kumho Ecowings and they were absolutely fine.

I always used kumho when I had cars with not ridiculously sized wheels . Good grip , long lasting and sensibly priced .

15 hours ago, sierraman said:

Autogreen. National Tyres, 215/55/16 £55 a piece. Driven them in some awful weather this weekend, they’ve been fine, slightly more spin than some equivalent Michelin’s but more than acceptable. Tried hard braking in the wet and no discernible difference to the premium tyres. 

+1. They are always cheap in 14/15" old Citroën sizes, I've had them on a few cars and splashed out* and had the Xsara wearing 5 new ones (their not new now) and they've been fine and get thrown up the m40 in the rain a lot, damp and muddy FOD is fine and their £34 a corner fitted and usually available at every national tyres in the country so fairly easy to sort a puncture away from home

I can get them to spin if I pull out of a junction too abruptly but bar that the car rolls and I chicken out and ease off before the tyres give 😂

Many years ago I put a full set of boots on a MK2 cavalier. (this is a rare thing for me to do!) they were "Delta Sprint" tyres, and were only a couple of quid each more than utter shit ditchfinders.  Apparently manufactured by Michelin, they were truly superb.  Quiet, good grip (even in the wet), rode well, predictable handling, long lasting, etc.etc.

I've no idea if they're still available, but I'd have them again.

34 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

+1. They are always cheap in 14/15" old Citroën sizes, I've had them on a few cars and splashed out* and had the Xsara wearing 5 new ones (their not new now) and they've been fine and get thrown up the m40 in the rain a lot, damp and muddy FOD is fine and their £34 a corner fitted and usually available at every national tyres in the country so fairly easy to sort a puncture away from home

I can get them to spin if I pull out of a junction too abruptly but bar that the car rolls and I chicken out and ease off before the tyres give 😂

These tyres seem to receive good reviews although there are a few comments saying they need to be inflated regularly?

38 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

These tyres seem to receive good reviews although there are a few comments saying they need to be inflated regularly?

They do look soft at times, I've glanced at mine and gone oooh but when I've checked they've been correct. Usually gravel/not dead flat surfaces

I do it once or twice a year now and tbh the last time I did it (when the rears were put on) the fronts were as they were

I also had Boto tyres on 2 cars... 

post-5612-0-27223700-1492456489.thumb.jpg.ab3335778f2ddd0cc5b32ba15d82fe5a.jpg

They were in my blue laguna when I got it, and I had that for a year. Then the wheels with tyres went onto the silver laguna and did another 10k!

Never wore, stopped fine, OK in the wet... Didn't wear at all either 🤔 (but both cars needed the inner steering arms replaced, which meant I also did the droplinks whilst I was there and then got tracked up) 

My old man has never been one for spending money on tyres and baulked at the price of decent ones the day before our road trip to the south of Portugal last October. As he'd allowed no time for ordering some in he ended up having 4 Chinese death rings fitted to a 350Z 🙄  https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Davanti/DX640.htm

To be fair to them they were very quiet as advertised, much more so than the Avons that they replaced. The trip to the ferry was a 200 mile trip in torrential rain, not a problem and so far after a few thousand miles there and back they've thankfully been OK. I've only had the traction control kick in once so far which has been quite a surprise tbh.

12 hours ago, cort16 said:

I needed a set of  cheap rear tyres quickly to get my old XJR through its mot. The local pre worn place fitted 2 ancient tyres off an old dung spreader or something and it was completely un drivable in the wet I couldn't even pull away from junctions. I had to then go buy 2 new decent tyres so I could use it without shiteing myself.

Tyres definitely deteriorate with age , I had a car with falken tyres on that were close to the limit , couldn't pull away at all in the wet without spinning and the tramlining on the motorway was awful , changed to michelin PS4 and driving home it was like a different car

My Golf came with a set of Alliance tyres (a Yokohama brand apparently) and they seem perfectly decent. Not a single moment, but then it's hardly a performance car.

Nexen Nferas seemed decent on my E39 too, wouldn't have been my choice, but hard to fault.

I'm a fan of Hankook generally, my 290+bhp 9000 Aero was much improved by a set, turning it from a wheel spinning machine into a proper rocket.