Parts bin offenders

bangernomics

1 minute ago, Spiny Norman said:

Is there anything that uses CX door mirrors AND Morris Marina door handles?

I'm not sure that some TVRs used the door handles in the late 60s ? 

Also the Rover V8 engine. In 1994 Land Rover were making near 300 different versions of that engine. 

The component you want to consider is the Lucas Colette Caliper. 

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/news/zf-trw-produces-one-bllonth-colette-brake-calper-contnues-to-enhance-world-leadng-desgns/

106 push switches in the Elise. 

Mind you, you could fill this whole thread just with Lotus bits. 

From memory, the s1 Elise also used AX wiper motors. Renault 4 headlamps and Vauxhall Astra ignition barrel. 

Late LDV Convoys lifted the entire power unit from the Transit. 

Maestros with Golf gearboxes. (and the rear suspension set up blatantly copied from VW). 

Despite owning a 205, and working for a Peugeot dealer in the very late 80s, I only recently discovered that 205s and 309s use the same doors. 

I highly recommend Richard Porters Boring car trivia books. Now on its third edition. 

I share an amazon account with my Mrs and I'm sure she was delighted when they appeared on her kindle. 

"What the bloody hell is this??!!" 

35 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Late LDV Convoys lifted the entire power unit from the Transit. 

They also used a lot of Rover 800 interior bits and the radiator is from a Isuzu Derv powered Mk3 Astra. 

But I can see why low volume manufacturers used parts from different cars.

As I shudder to think how much it would be to engineer and prototype switches and the like.

You can just imagine an LD.V engineer rummaging around the warehouse of their local motor factor in a brown stores coat holding a tape measure in 1 hand and a carpenters pencil behind his ear. Vernier gauging his top pocket.

There was a conversation at work regarding a late Defender which has a Ford diesel engine under its oddly bulged bonnet. Imagining the Land Rover engineers trying to make the bonnet fit.

In a thick brummy accent "It'll be alright, just stick a bit a wood in there and slam it a bit!"

On 10/30/2021 at 7:43 PM, Mr Pastry said:

BMC 1100 (?) quarterlights, door windows and frames, and TR4 front suspension on earlier Reliant Scimitar.

MG Midget doors and screen, and Vauxhall Magnum floor pan and running gear on Panther Lima.

Complete BL Maxi body side frames (those doors again!) on Panther De Ville.

The early de Ville also had Sherpa bumpers

58437-0-medium.thumb.jpg.a14724b2c6094450bef0a412f0013893.jpg

52 minutes ago, JMotor said:

As I shudder to think how much it would be to engineer and prototype switches and the like.

Unfortunately Reliant did just that with some little bits for the Scimitar. And ended up with thousands of bits in stock.

The SS1 borrowed lots of Metro stuff swichgearwise though.

9 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

X1/9 door handles. Lancia, and Ferrari.

ditto the roof catches with Lamborghini too.

Boot/engine cover handles are shared with the Countach, and the headlamp pods are shared with the Stratos. Rear lights shared with the early Esprit and interior door handles are also in the Lamborgini Jalpa..

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

You can just imagine an LD.V engineer rummaging around the warehouse of their local motor factor in a brown stores coat holding a tape measure in 1 hand and a carpenters pencil behind his ear. Vernier gauging his top pocket.

You know. 

I could actually fully believe that actually happened! 

Or they had nicked a pile of various supplier books from said motor factors!

Then used what ever was close enough to the right size.