EmperorPigeon's Enfield 8000 restoration project

EmperorPigeon

13 hours ago, barefoot said:

Have you cleaned the roof yet?

After the windscreen I gave the roof a clean. Very little point going too far with that though as the paint is so shoddy and flaking off, but at least its cleaner prior to being sanded down. :)

10 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Do you know about this group?
https://enfield8000.weebly.com/

Yup, I've been a member for a while now. :)

I should mention as well that the nerdy details will appear on the club website as well as overall progress, but I realised I said this in my Drivetribe post and privately either here with Will/elsewhere. My brain is getting a bit scattered with updates... 😅

4 hours ago, Timewaster said:

This is an amazing project. Kudos to you for taking it on. 

It will be a real head turner when it is done.

I hope so! As we head into December, the work is going to slow down to a crawl but I do have my fingers (wingtips? :P ) crossed that I'll be able to tackle the steel work on whatever dryish days that come by...

A bit more about the paint whilst it is on my mind...

We all know originally Julie the Enfield 8000 here was painted red. However, at some point a previous owner removed that and had her resprayed blue and updated the V5 to reflect that, I even have some of that blue as overspray on the front bonnet hinge. Perhaps the 7th or 8th owner (I'm the 10th) decided to restore her back to red again...and the reason I say that is because there otherwise isn't any trace of blue on the panels and there were two splotches of red paint toward the top of the windscreen when I was cleaning it the other day. This in addition to the state of the paintwork, tells me that the correct primer wasn't used and that both primer and paint deteriorated quickly.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's why she was left to rot, when the 9th owner came along with the thought to save her.

So that's the state of the paintwork, now as for the future...the plan is to go back to the original red, however I can either go the polished aluminium route - which I had the idea when looking at a DeLorean at Jonny Smith's Late Brake Show tour (an idea Jonny himself arrived at when I talked with him about all things Enfield) or I use the paints I found in my DIY stash. I can certainly see the interior steel being painted in pine green metal paint (with rust protection) that states no primer required (hurray!) and the framework in light grey. But I think I will at least prime the panels when I can and I will test the green paint. The bonnet and boot door/lid (I'm having a moment trying to remember the correct term 😕 ) will be what I will test when I refurbish them in the coming weeks. The photos/videos of which will of course be posted/linked here first before anywhere else. =]

Yesterday I decided to try out my rotary tool with the newly bought cutting discs to get rid of some rivets. That and I was getting antsy just waiting around for ye oldé weather to subside. Over an hour or so later and not being able to feel the tips of my toes, I'd had enough for the day. Here's the 10 minute rundown:-

The other day I tested my wire brushes for the drill on the boot lid to make a start getting rid of the paint. Combined with hot soapy water with a dash of acetic acid (yuk!), hand sanding, as well as lots of blue roll, it made a good start all things considered. But I'll get a proper orbital sander as they're certainly cheap enough.

IMG_20211130_100658.thumb.jpg.9b9661bef154f30f95eb4165eca42944.jpg

Essentially there's going to be a great deal of savagery over the next few weeks...except perhaps with the A-pillars where the rotary with the sanding attachment may yet come good. I will keep you all apprised! :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks! :) I was just coming here to post the link because I'm a vain so-and-so like that :D and I should admit that I stole the covert shoutout from @dollywobbler(one of my main inspirations for getting into all of this) as it just tickles me! :D

For all of you following this that might not know of Jonny Smith's Projects Of The People videos (and if not why not? :) ) here it is below. The intro to my part is at the 16 minutes mark and I was going to be even more vain and just use the timecode...but no, I'll be good. *looks from side to side* Skip to the 16 minute mark! :D

In other news, now Christmas is long gone (hurray!) for another year (hmm!) and I'm slowly recovering monetarily, I have two orbital sanders because one was sent as a replacement for the one that was delcared lost in the post (Hermes) as well as the Deox-Gel that Hermes had also misplaced. Things are progressing, slower than I'd like given the weather...but progressing.  More soon! :)

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_20220201_163107.thumb.jpg.53ec94a69725701d0b81f0dad59e4a44.jpg

No, she hasn't developed a new roof but a lot of windy weather over the past few days, which has forced both buying a new car cover (the tarpaulin struggled greatly and is slightly torn now) and I had to finally buy some ratchet straps because the car cover is slightly on the bigger side.

Everything is otherwise intact, underneath is still solid despite the wet weather as well. The annoying thing about all this windy weather is of course not being able to work on the car, such as being able to tidy up the panels and metal etc so I can place the windows back in. Right now, a big headache when I get up in the morning and see that one of the ratchet straps decided to remove itself...a lot of swearing as I sorted that one out! I should also point out that originally both of the straps were over the roof...

So looking forward to when the weather calms enough so I can work on the old girl again!

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2023 at 8:52 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

Any updates from the last 12 months? 

Not really, it's the usual story of finances being hit. Despite that setback, over the past eight to ten months I've obtained the vast majority of the tools I'll be needing and when the weather is warm and dry enough to work comfortably, I'll be removing the body panels at that time. I have the mental image of having most of the body panels (the exception being the panel at the bottom of the windscreen, and the roof) as a sort-of model kit arrangement.

The good news is that the car hasn't degraded massively as I worried it would, and tinkering with the car and cleaning doesn't result in piles of rusty cornflakes. Taking my wins where I can get them really! 😄