Ford and the griffin.

bub2006

2 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

Thats a good way to look at it. 93p a day or thereabouts makes it seem a little easier to swallow. It will eventually end up on free tax due to disability though. 

I wondered about that when you mentioned a mobility scooter. Good on you, if you can make the system work in your favour, though. 

2 hours ago, paulplom said:

Ask @Mally He'll know.

Thanks paul.

We were buying 2.0 petrol blacktop zetecs @ £150. I had 8 at least.  Mine are all sold now, and I've no need for more.

They are now bringing £300 min, especially  autos, as supposedly had an easier life.

By next season prob £400 I would expect, there's very few left.

29 minutes ago, Bren said:

I agree about used prices. I keep looking at mondeo estates to replace the vectra but the thought of spunking £ 5k on something nearing it's tenth birthday and with similar miles is putting me off.

Sometimes it's best to stick with devil you know especially considering prices as you well found out

Just now, Mally said:

Thanks paul.

We were buying 2.0 petrol blacktop zetecs @ £150. I had 8 at least.  Mine are all sold now, and I've no need for more.

They are now bringing £300 min, especially  autos, as supposedly had an easier life.

By next season prob £400 I would expect, there's very few left.

Thats good to know for when the body succumbs to tinworm or if it was written off.  Be worthwhile buying it back. 

2 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

Yeah I'm always staggered by friends who decide they'll replace one 15 grand car with a 38 grand car in order to go from £155 VED a year to £60...

Haha!  My mum has only had 4 cars in my 41 years on this planet.  But she was very vocal in 2016 when she bought a new Audi A4 1.4 telling everyone who would listen that she was saving a fortune in tax and petrol compared to her 14 year old Passat 2.0 that she had owned from new.

She was saving about £10 a week in petrol and £150 a year in tax.  The cost to change was £21,200 😆😆😆

I’m sure 19mpg is possible if you use the throttle like an on off switch and have zero anticipation.

If you can see beyond 10ft in front of the car and accelerate gently, I’d expect 28-30mpg on urban journeys of a few miles and 38mpg at a steady 60mph cruise.

Chedk the thermostat is working well and letting it warm up as fast as possible.  That’s important on something potentially juicy - get the choke off ASAP!

Brilliant buy for the money!  They drive so well.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Check out the reg!

Nice buy @bub2006and

I've had my Focus 16 years now, the last 2 of them being sat on the drive being used as a shed. I did advertise it for sale on here once but since then I looked behind the trim covering the rear wheel tubs and unfortunately it's rusted through where it meets the boot floor 😣 Pretty much terminal.

Eventually I will sell some of the parts off it before it's scrapped although I will hold onto it for as long as possible just in case I win the lottery in which case I'll have it restored 😊

44 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

I’m sure 19mpg is possible if you use the throttle like an on off switch and have zero anticipation.

If you can see beyond 10ft in front of the car and accelerate gently, I’d expect 28-30mpg on urban journeys of a few miles and 38mpg at a steady 60mph cruise.

Chedk the thermostat is working well and letting it warm up as fast as possible.  That’s important on something potentially juicy - get the choke off ASAP!

Brilliant buy for the money!  They drive so well.

I do live in Derbyshire so hills are an issue but what comes up must go down! I gave up driving like a loon a long time back. It seems to warm up fairly quick and then gauge sticks at halfway. 

9 minutes ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Check out the reg!

Nice buy @bub2006and

I've had my Focus 16 years now, the last 2 of them being sat on the drive being used as a shed. I did advertise it for sale on here once but since then I looked behind the trim covering the rear wheel tubs and unfortunately it's rusted through where it meets the boot floor 😣 Pretty much terminal.

Eventually I will sell some of the parts off it before it's scrapped although I will hold onto it for as long as possible just in case I win the lottery in which case I'll have it restored 😊

I don't suppose you have a ghia model with working armrest?!

1 minute ago, bub2006 said:

I do live in Derbyshire so hills are an issue but what comes up must go down! I gave up driving like a loon a long time back. It seems to warm up fairly quick and then gauge sticks at halfway. 

I don't suppose you have a ghia model with working armrest?!

It is a Ghia but no armrest I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

@bub2006 my ideal Cortina is the V reg one in Swadlincote with the saggy arse. 

I don't know of one in Swadlincote but there was one in leabrooks near somercotes, Alfreton that was a green w plate estate that was hanging on to life. Its back end was about falling off and the rear door gaps were overlapping at the bottom and cm wide at the top. The rear suspension looked like it was collapsed. From what I recall it had a private plate with stu on it and he had it as a taxi from either nearly new or new till he retired and used it daily since.  Its now gone and has been replaced by a k11 micra

I'd say in my opinion the thread title isn't actually far off the mark.

Yes there have been more charismatic, faster, plusher and more exciting cars throughout Ford's history - but the Focus really hit the nail on the head as far as being a cracking all round car that does everything that you ever need a car to do.  While doing so still managing to have a bit of style to it, which still looks as sharp now as the day it was launched I reckon.  Both inside and out.  Focus and the original Ka were both really well thought out motors.

It was absolutely a high point for them.

26 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I'd say in my opinion the thread title isn't actually far off the mark.

Yes there have been more charismatic, faster, plusher and more exciting cars throughout Ford's history - but the Focus really hit the nail on the head as far as being a cracking all round car that does everything that you ever need a car to do.  While doing so still managing to have a bit of style to it, which still looks as sharp now as the day it was launched I reckon.  Both inside and out.  Focus and the original Ka were both really well thought out motors.

It was absolutely a high point for them.

If I needed a cheap car another  mk 1 focus would be top of the list.

10 hours ago, bub2006 said:

I don't know of one in Swadlincote but there was one in leabrooks near somercotes, Alfreton that was a green w plate estate that was hanging on to life. Its back end was about falling off and the rear door gaps were overlapping at the bottom and cm wide at the top. The rear suspension looked like it was collapsed. From what I recall it had a private plate with stu on it and he had it as a taxi from either nearly new or new till he retired and used it daily since.  Its now gone and has been replaced by a k11 micra

Wasn’t it still sat in the guys garden? 

29 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Wasn’t it still sat in the guys garden? 

I don't think so but I may have to have a glance next time I'm passing. I don't live nearby anymore,moved out in the sticks for peace and quiet!

8 hours ago, stuboy said:

i loved my focus, just was too small for me too get comfortable.

I'm a big lad but I don't seem to bother with size too much. Height adjustable is a godsend though. 

9 hours ago, Dan302 said:

I had a 2004 Focus 1.6 Ghia before I got the Ceed. It was a really comfortable and lovely car to drive. It cost barely anything in maintenance, I'd definitely have another. Yours looks lovely and will last years with a little care. Well bought. 

Thanks. I've put it on road today and took my wife to work in derby. Averaging just over 30 which isn't too bad.

On the subject of putting it on the road,has anyone had issues with direct debit tax saying installments not available to this bank account? My account has said it now for a couple of years but never bothered me. Today though it's saying my wife's account isn't possible to use direct debit. I know I've had a few changes but folk here must get through changes too. 

Spoke to dvla. They said direct debit has been withdrawn on my account due to cancellation about 3 years ago. They can't talk to me about my wife but said she isn't allowed either due to cancellation. The argument I had was I was told by dvla to cancel at bank after they took money out account after I changed ownership and had slip from them to say vehicle no longer in my possession.  They told me my wife had a direct debit bounce which isn't possible as my wife's account is our main account where house bills etc goes from and there's always around a ton floating in that account. I was then told we'll pay by 6 or 12 months and if you can't afford it buy a cheaper car to which I replaced with it wasn't so bad when tax stayed on the car and she didn't have an answer for that. Complaint letter going in and will be escalated as necessary until the dvla sort their shit out. 

Signed

Much annoyed of Derbyshire. 

My ex-wife had a 1999 T reg 2.0 Ghia Focus manual 5dr donkeys years ago and we got rid of it in the end as it was murder on fuel. I couldn't justify it with mind bending performance either, it was just a heavy drinker (the car not the ex).

They do drive exceptionally well though, and have aged very well indeed.

3 hours ago, bub2006 said:

Spoke to dvla. They said direct debit has been withdrawn on my account due to cancellation about 3 years ago. They can't talk to me about my wife but said she isn't allowed either due to cancellation. The argument I had was I was told by dvla to cancel at bank after they took money out account after I changed ownership and had slip from them to say vehicle no longer in my possession.  They told me my wife had a direct debit bounce which isn't possible as my wife's account is our main account where house bills etc goes from and there's always around a ton floating in that account. I was then told we'll pay by 6 or 12 months and if you can't afford it buy a cheaper car to which I replaced with it wasn't so bad when tax stayed on the car and she didn't have an answer for that. Complaint letter going in and will be escalated as necessary until the dvla sort their shit out. 

Signed

Much annoyed of Derbyshire. 

Heh.  I checked my account this morning and the cheeky feckers had tried to take a VED payment for the Caliber, which I sold at the end of September.  Soon sorted with a phone call to DVLA but there shouldn't be that kind of error with an automated system - it's not the first time it's happened either.

No and for that snotty cow earlier saying that their system works fine and they wouldn't tell me to cancel at bank is a joke. I remember ringing up on more than 1 occasion as they had done that numerous times and was always told to cancel it. As for my wife well she never had anything bounce or cancelled it. They only get taken off when car is sold or scrapped.