Selling original number plate

They_all_do_that_sir

Someone I know has a classic bike. 1950s era. It has the original plate, which is six digits and contains "911"

Given it's probably worth something to Porsche sniffers, can you sell the original plate and get a different age related plate issued for a vehicle, or is this a no-no?

I know some would be aghast at removing some of the vehicles original identity but the owner isn't bothered and it's not the best example anyway.. ..

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wot the OP's say is correct, you will normally find the donor vehicle is issued an age related plate,

I seem to recall rather undesirable Combinations such a KSU are used and marked as non transferable to stop,you flogging the replacement plate to Keith Simon Unwin.

The donor vehicle with the 911 plate needs to meet all the requirements for transfer.

years ago, circa 1963 vehicles go a A suffix plate.  A mate of mine flogged the dateless plate of his traveller and it ended up and a AAAnnnA typeface plate, which just looked so shit.  Not sure if the the DVSA still do that sort of shit or if the just go for the KSU style.

it is a bit of a shame when a car looses its original plate says he who has several pre 63 plates.  Although many of them had been transferred to moderns when I bought them.  I've got one 1962 plate that was on an Astra Estate before I got hold of it and another that was on a 1994 Jag, so the 'deed' from the original vehicle was done many moons ago.   I think I may be guilty of taking a couple off their original vehicles, but years ago you couldn't tell. I did ask the dealer  what one came off 'an old land rover he thought'.  I wasn't  entirely convinced that it wasn't just a standard line he used on the off chance anyone ever asked him.  

24 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Wot the OP's say is correct, you will normally find the donor vehicle is issued an age related plate,

I seem to recall rather undesirable Combinations such a KSU are used and marked as non transferable to stop,you flogging the replacement plate to Keith Simon Unwin.

The donor vehicle with the 911 plate needs to meet all the requirements for transfer.

years ago, circa 1963 vehicles go a A suffix plate.  A mate of mine flogged the dateless plate of his traveller and it ended up and a AAAnnnA typeface plate, which just looked so shit.  Not sure if the the DVSA still do that sort of shit or if the just go for the KSU style.

it is a bit of a shame when a car looses its original plate says he who has several pre 63 plates.  Although many of them had been transferred to moderns when I bought them.  I've got one 1962 plate that was on an Astra Estate before I got hold of it and another that was on a 1994 Jag, so the 'deed' from the original vehicle was done many moons ago.   I think I may be guilty of taking a couple off their original vehicles, but years ago you couldn't tell. I did ask the dealer  what one came off 'an old land rover he thought'.  I wasn't  entirely convinced that it wasn't just a standard line he used on the off chance anyone ever asked him.  

heres a big ol writeup I did on how the DVLA do date-less age related plates which will hopefully explain a few things :) (make sure you click the expand button LOL)

On 27/02/2021 at 15:17, LightBulbFun said:

indeed a lot of age related plates are of Scottish origin as a lot of the smaller scottish county councils never used up their entire allocation of possible pre-suffix plates before suffix plates where made mandatory on January 1st 1965 (in-fact some really small scottish county councils never even finished using up their original 1904 2 letter 4 number allocations!)

but it depends on the age of the car

if its manufactured from before 1931 then it will get a 2 letter 4 number Age related plate, the current series for this is is the BFxxxx registration series (from BF4001 onwards, currently at BF9477 at time of writing)

if it was manufactured from 1931 to 1952 then it will get a 3 Letter 3 number plate (currently the DVLA are working through the Scottish -XS registration series which was unissued from JXS601 onward and so the DVLA have been and are issuing it from KXSxx onward and are currently in the NXSxxx series, NXS929 at time of writing currently)

if it was manufactured between 1953 and 1962 then it will get a 3 number 3 letter plate, here with these reverse plates they play things a bit differently to above and only issue registration marks with letters starting with U V W X  and Y, and increment the last letter when they run out of a given series

currently they are on the xxxXVN registration series 615XVN as of time of writing, having started with xxxXVA back in in 2018 then when they hit XVY they will likely increment to YVA and so forth to YVY, before picking another series to issue

so yes the DVLA do intentionally pick the most ugly and obviously age related plates possible when a poor car gets robbed of its originally, I assume because they want to sell the nicer looking unissued plates at auction

its a shame too because in 1953, no Car would have been issued a reverse plate with such a late alphabetical letter, they would have all been xxxAXX rather then xxxYXX so one could argue its not very age related in that regard

but at least they do make some attempt at making suffix-less age related plates actually age related these days,

for a long time they would not, and so they would just issue 3 letter 3 number plates to ALL vehicles between 1931-1962, which is why this 1954 Standard 8 which today would be given a 3 number 3 letter plate is on a 3 letter 3 number age related plate

or even worse issue Reverse 3 number 3 letter plates to everything between 1931-1962 which lead to some glaring non age related-ness 

like this 1930's Austin 7

04.JPG

Keep in mind the First reverse Plate was not issued until 1953!

in the case of this Standard 8, GVSxxx-YVSxxx was issued as an aged related plate series between March 1992 and April 1993

and if we look it up we can indeed see this is the case

image.thumb.png.8ad75db10c9d60f8c3ea73f511401785.png

which it was given in 1992 after being issued an A suffix plate in 1988 when it was sadly robbed of its original plate SRL747

for a long time when a suffix-less car was robbed of its plate they issued unused A and even B suffix plates regardless of the vehicles Age, but throughout the 1980s-1990s they discontinued that practice thankfully and you could eventually thankfully request an appropriate age related plate if your vehicle was given an inappropriate A or later suffix plate in the past, which is what was done here

with regards to the OP, it depends on how the vintage vehicle was registered, the V5c of the vehicle will state if the registration mark is non transferable 

if it was registered via the V765 scheme or is already on an age related plate it wont be transferable, well really old age related plates where originally transferable but the DVLA eventually stopped that because people where just abusing the system and repeatedly robbing the same vehicle over and over, 

as above the V5c will say pretty clearly in the special notes section, if that section is blank then you can transfer the registration mark following the usual DVLA procedure https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/take-private-number-off 

not that I approve of plate robbery!, Not only do I think a vehicles registration mark is part of its history/identity.  I find it especially sad when a vehicle which has managed to hold onto its mark for the past 50+ years gets robbed of that mark just to make a quick buck

but its also a real pain in the arse when im conducting historic vehicle research, to try and chase a vehicle and only find out its been robbed of its plate etc etc 

(and I best stop there before I get onto my soap box LOL)

Cheers chaps, and a very comprehensive reply there LBF.

I'm also in the "keep the bike original" camp, but in this instance the plate is likely worth more than the bike if it can be taken off.

It's the plate the bike had from new, I've asked re the logbook situation - they *might* only have the old green style logbook, which will likely fart things up.

First step then is to get a new V5 for the bike and see what it says on it......

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

t's the plate the bike had from new, I've asked re the logbook situation - they *might* only have the old green style logbook, which will likely fart things up.

ahh yeah, first of all it has to be on the DVLA computer!

stick the registration mark into here and see if it comes up

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

if it produces no result and all the vehicle has is a Buff logbook (RF60 or VE60) then you will be out of luck sadly,

you can register the bike and claim its registration mark for it which is good if you care about the vehicle, with the V765 scheme

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-register-a-vehicle-under-its-original-registration-number

but to stop people from doing dodgy things to get registration marks they like, when they issue a vehicle its original number under the V765 scheme, they make it non transferable, so you will not be able to transfer the mark off the bike, if you have to V765 it