When we were young

bigstraight6

After joining the EU and the huge grants given, the water became clear and the roads smooth. You used to be able to tell from the road surface when you entered the republic from NI, now it’s the other way round. In the process of selling my late Aunt’s house in Bundoran and sad I will have no draw to go back now, other than best of memories 🙁

8 hours ago, Wibble said:

After joining the EU and the huge grants given, the water became clear and the roads smooth. You used to be able to tell from the road surface when you entered the republic from NI, now it’s the other way round. In the process of selling my late Aunt’s house in Bundoran and sad I will have no draw to go back now, other than best of memories 🙁

The water's fine, but you obviously haven't driven around West Cork lately.

19 hours ago, EightMegs said:

I had a black one which has only recently been sent to the tip after a failed generator engine conversion when I was 14.

22 hours ago, Wibble said:

OMG! A Kettler Kettcar! I had exactly the same one! Happy days indeed😊

Thanks for the feedback, this was unfortunately taken to the tip in 1989 due to a burst tyre & being left out in the rain too much causing rust.

16 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

Thanks for the feedback, this was unfortunately taken to the tip in 1989 due to a burst tyre & being left out in the rain too much causing rust.

Burst tyre? They were solid😆I remember coz my tears were worn through from hand brake turns. Used to try gaffa tape, inner tubes and bitumen to level them out and reduce the thump, thump, thump. Mine ended up blue with the front axle lashed on with twine after mum reversed her Chevette over it🙁

6 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Burst tyre? They were solid😆I remember coz my tears were worn through from hand brake turns. Used to try gaffa tape, inner tubes and bitumen to level them out and reduce the thump, thump, thump. Mine ended up blue with the front axle lashed on with twine after mum reversed her Chevette over it🙁

The tyre split open & had something oil like inside which oozed out!

January 1999. I'd had my driving test nearly a year before I managed to get my £280 Viva HC back in one piece with new wings tacked on, MOT'd and, crucially, insured.

Tim's Viva, Jan 1999.jpg

Note the delightfully stylish 'R-Plates' (standing for 'Restricted') which all new drivers in Northern Ireland must display front and rear for a year after being granted a full licence, which not only limits you to a maximum of 45mph (great fun on the motorway, both for you and other drivers) but also helps obscure your vision nicely. Also applies if you lose your licence and have to take a re-test.

It's now one of those odd legislative quirks, since the Department of Transport decided to trial it in NI during the 1970s for possible roll-out across the UK, but then it was neither adopted more widely nor ever rescinded. Rather like the 'trial' 70mph motorway speed limit, it was difficult to prove that it had a tangible benefit, but it was kept anyway. Thus "getting off your R's" remains a seminal moment in a young driver's life over here.

Viva off to France, June 1999.jpg

A few months later, I decided to drive said Viva to the South of France with two chums... as you do. This was us setting off, me unwisely wearing period-correct garb that would see me stopped by the police repeatedly, as well as approached by someone looking to buy drugs, approached for someone looking to procure girls, and set about by an Algerian gang who thought I was dealing on their turf... who knew the French didn't understand retro style?

Oh, and the head gasket blew about ten minutes into the journey, followed by the starter solenoid a day later, which was unhelpful... but we still made it all the way there and back.

Just about.

3 hours ago, MrBiscuits said:

Here I am, 1997, aged 17 and about to hit the road in my 1983 mini. It wasn't actually that rotten and cost me £450 with tax & test. If only they were still about for that price 😕.

@grogee recognise me? 😀 

20211029_120413.jpg

Kev! How the devil are you? Looks like we both found our dream website