When we were young

bigstraight6

Just realised there are photos of me stuck in a cupboard at my moms that really should be dug out and backed up, as I've only got two of me from when I was young. 

Handily, my sister found these two on Sunday to remind me of how much of a cute alcoholic I was when I was 2/3 years old.

162173817_1762275370640587_3629172561280637084_n.thumb.jpg.58cea4c56d134df79786105107a92c3b.jpg

248886414_10159652856177429_6209151562524050808_n.thumb.jpg.75857ad36e1f3bc95fdab566266a99b3.jpg

You never lose things when you grow older, like your ability to maintain a swagger you developed when you were 3, and the ability to down a pint of guinness from the age of 2.

11 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

.... how much of a cute alcoholic I was when I was 2/3 years old.

162173817_1762275370640587_3629172561280637084_n.thumb.jpg.58cea4c56d134df79786105107a92c3b.jpg

That photo is just so evocative of an Ireland now gone. I took a similar photo in Clare back in the early 2000s, in a bar in either Tulla or Corofin - can't remember; I'd had a fair few scoops myself that night...

3 hours ago, lesapandre said:

And they were very nice to drive. Those side windows - ex-police or broadcaster etc?

Ex outside-broadcast for a radio station in Coventry.

Was all decked out in the back with desk, Captain's chair, bunk, heater, space for generator etc. Had a big stack for the antenna mast.

15 hours ago, doug said:

Me on a Matchless with sidecar. Actually half an old wardrobe nailed to a sidecar chassis. 1981ish in Arran.f7039887286ff2edee3f026c4b2c4318.jpg

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

is that Billy Connally 2nd from right????

and nice 'bird' on that pic too ;)

20 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Looks more like a donkey than a pony....

Looking at the ears (no-one else's are visible in the pic!), you're right, Grandad lived in Basingstoke so I presume the photo was the New Forest but there are donkeys there as well as the more common ponies

1 hour ago, bezzabsa said:

is that Billy Connally 2nd from right????

and nice 'bird' on that pic too ;)

It  is...not to be confused  with that comedian Billy Connolly tho. 😆

Here is what he is up to at moment....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/culture/2021/oct/17/billy-connolly-it-might-be-lovely-on-the-other-side

34 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

It  is...not to be confused  with that comedian Billy Connolly tho. 😆

Here is what he is up to at moment....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/culture/2021/oct/17/billy-connolly-it-might-be-lovely-on-the-other-side

Him as well....LOL

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That photo is just so evocative of an Ireland now gone. I took a similar photo in Clare back in the early 2000s, in a bar in either Tulla or Corofin - can't remember; I'd had a fair few scoops myself that night...

Well you'll like this, this was taken at (I think) the long defunct Mitchells pub/club in Sparkhill, Birmingham. It was roughly around the time that my mom also caught my dad mixing in guinness with my milk. 

I do have another photo of us at a local pub in Mayo when I was about 5, the kids are all high on Cidona, Club Orange or Red Lemonade. The adults are equally as high on other alcohol. 

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I can't think of a better thing!

I think now my mom would agree, given the big curly head of hair on me and being 6ft 3. We've saved so much money on ladders by me being tall enough to change light bulbs, obviously down to the guinness and milk!

6 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Well you'll like this, this was taken at (I think) the long defunct Mitchells pub/club in Sparkhill, Birmingham. It was roughly around the time that my mom also caught my dad mixing in guinness with my milk. 

I do have another photo of us at a local pub in Mayo when I was about 5, the kids are all high on Cidona, Club Orange or Red Lemonade. The adults are equally as high on other alcohol. 

😀Cidona, club orange and red lemonade, happy days!! Couldn’t find red lemonade on my last visit but other two were bought and enjoyed. Club orange sooo much better than Fanta or tango😋

I think these photos have been on here before......

1971 Opel Manta A 1.9SR Rallye

I may have been proud of it at this point. That didn't last. I still use that blue brush for car cleaning duties, 30 years later.

Young Spottedlaurel in Massey Ferguson

Young SL looks at a horse in Wales (+ Capri, Hunter, Minor)

Get your hands out of your pockets boy! Family Capri in the background.

Very young Spottedlaurel in pedal car #1

Young Spottedlaurel in Team Raleigh pedal car #2

11 hours ago, Wibble said:

😀Cidona, club orange and red lemonade, happy days!! Couldn’t find red lemonade on my last visit but other two were bought and enjoyed. Club orange sooo much better than Fanta or tango😋

Mate of mine reckons there's a dye or something in red lemonade that's been banned by the EU, but they allowed Ireland to ween themselves from it. 

1 hour ago, St.Jude said:

Mate of mine reckons there's a dye or something in red lemonade that's been banned by the EU, but they allowed Ireland to ween themselves from it. 

Father Ted: "It's been banned in most of Europe, so that means it's very good."

10 hours ago, St.Jude said:

🤣probably! We just assumed it was the water. Remember running a bath in the 1970s in Co Donegal and the water was always brown looking. Assumed because of the peat.

On 10/26/2021 at 4:03 PM, St.Jude said:

I think now my mom would agree, given the big curly head of hair on me and being 6ft 3. We've saved so much money on ladders by me being tall enough to change light bulbs, obviously down to the guinness and milk!

When I was young and cradle cake,
No drop of milk now would I take.
Me father up and had his spake
"Give the child a jar of porter."

3 hours ago, Wibble said:

🤣probably! We just assumed it was the water. Remember running a bath in the 1970s in Co Donegal and the water was always brown looking. Assumed because of the peat.

Mayo still get boil notices now. Judging by my calendar, it's 2021.