When we were young

bigstraight6

1894839012_MyVelox.jpg.77fdf7f1a5387332df0d16a83a97c7e3.jpg

Young Ramrod, 18, in late 1977 with my first and so far only Vauxhall PA, this one being a 1961 Velox automatic.  Colours were maroon and grey, almost exactly the opposite of the maroon and silver Vanguards offering.  I still have the back number plate (969 NMB), it's on my yard wall display.

I APOLOGISE FOR ANY LOST LUNCHES, BLURRED VISION, AND GENERAL FEELING OF SICKNESS WHEN WITNESSING THE HORROR OF THE MULLET & DYED HAIR BELOW

few of me....1 when I passed my test..and a few old chod pics of mine..

pic with flat cap & pint was 1988, with blonde 1986/7.. and 1989 when I passed car test ...

Kadett was 1991, cavvy 1993, Corsa 2010, metro 1990, allegro 2006/7, Bandit 2005, Mondeo 2014

eeek.jpg

drink.jpg

ook.jpg

kad.jpg

cavv.jpg

corsa1.jpg

metro.jpg

tweety.jpg

bd54.jpg

mnd.jpg

41 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

I APOLOGISE FOR ANY LOST LUNCHES, BLURRED VISION, AND GENERAL FEELING OF SICKNESS WHEN WITNESSING THE HORROR OF THE MULLET & DYED HAIR BELOW

few of me....1 when I passed my test..and a few old chod pics of mine..

pic with flat cap & pint was 1988, with blonde 1986/7.. and 1989 when I passed car test ...

Kadett was 1991, cavvy 1993, Corsa 2010, metro 1990, allegro 2006/7, Bandit 2005, Mondeo 2014

eeek.jpg

drink.jpg

ook.jpg

kad.jpg

cavv.jpg

corsa1.jpg

metro.jpg

tweety.jpg

bd54.jpg

mnd.jpg

You are Paul le Roy of Phoenix Nights fame with that mullet.

Absolutely god-awful pic (even worse than the subject matter), but this is me, September 1991, aged 17, two weeks after my test attempting a wheel spin outside my mate Dave's house in my miniMetro 1.0, TRM 894X, with MG stripes, MG  interior and scrappy-sourced TD rims and tyres.

IMG_20211024_194905.jpg.fdf626db0fc4561f8e02c40ee4cc8ae8.jpg

Like most of us on here, there was about 8 stone less of me in those days, and I'm still trying to rock my early 90's hairstyle with whatever's left...

EDIT.  Only other photo I can find with me actually in a photo with one of my cars. This was 2008 (I think) on the 190 owners forum stand at the Santa Pod Retro show. My brown 190 in the foreground, I'm the tall fat bloke in the middle. (Not sure why I look so angry in the pic, I was having a good time...)

139fds.jpg.49208438fbe9a524c786705c8a4219b3.jpg

17 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

1976 my first car. 8 years old and kept breaking to the point that my father would lend me his rather than face the possibility of having to come out late at night and rescue me.

Hillman Imp from dad's album with me crop.jpg

Stiletto? Cracking photo.

My mother owned one in an identical hue. Lovely little thing  - still remember standing on the driveway fiddling with the engine cover handles which didn't have locks on them from what I remember.

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Stiletto? Cracking photo.

My mother owned one in an identical hue. Lovely little thing  - still remember standing on the driveway fiddling with the engine cover handles which didn't have locks on them from what I remember.

I was 17 and the insurance would have been unmanageable on the monster Stiletto! This was the single carb 875cc Imp Californian Coupe.

11 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

1976 my first car. 8 years old and kept breaking to the point that my father would lend me his rather than face the possibility of having to come out late at night and rescue me.

Hillman Imp from dad's album with me crop.jpg

A Stilletto - very nice.  Like you I remember Imps were unreliable  when a few years old - mostly not the poor old Imps fault - but previous owners who unattended clogged rads and long leaky heater pipe runs oftentimes led to chronic overheating and engine problems, underuse of antifreeze and lack of regular oil changes too - the rubber Rotoflex drive couplings failed regularly with age as well. But I don't  remember  them as being particularly  rusty.

Nice to drive - but Rootes finance  problems led them to be chronically underdeveloped. Pity. 

It's always been me taking the photo so I am pretty sure this is the only photo of me with one of my cars.

IMG_0001-13.thumb.jpg.842477d0d865858d7df29c60fc8d34eb.jpg

1979 and I am brazing up the holes in my 1500 beetle, recently bought from a friend for £275. I havn't seen it since about 1984 but it is still taxed! The hair is long gone but I still have the stick-welder however brazing carbons aren't available at Halfords these days.

*The milk bottles were for pouring oil into the Beetle's engine; saves a lot of mess. And that's a VW headlight bulb.

4 hours ago, Asimo said:

It's always been me taking the photo so I am pretty sure this is the only photo of me with one of my cars.

IMG_0001-13.thumb.jpg.842477d0d865858d7df29c60fc8d34eb.jpg

That's still one more than me. There are no photos in existence of me with any of the cars I've had. 

Oh wait...hang on...there is one. But only one, of me in the 635CSi going round Silverstone. I don't have access to that photo at the moment. ...