THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

Guest Leonard Hatred

My man juice is a panacea, a cure-all. If only the ladies knew.

My auntie can have the Focus back if I fix it. She mentioned the battery light flashing occasionally and the car conking out, I think it might have upset the engine management and disconnecting/re-connecting the battery reset it - so it might just be the alternator.

I'm pretty pissed off with the garage writing off something that isn't broken, and their lack of basic curiosity and fault finding.

Hey, Mr Leopard Hotrod, does this Fucos have any weeeeeltrims? I am lkng for a set of tidy Ghia type ones that look a bit like a 1990ish Sierra type one except for the Fucos ones have a chrome-esque lookalike ring in the miggle. No chips though. I prefer Smiley Faces.

Sporting results news:

Chester 06.30 'Autoshite Challenge Cup Handicap' :

1st: 'Thermostat', ridden in the brown colours of it's owner W. Aterstain. 100/1.

2nd: 'No heat', ridden in the blue (skin) of it's rider, Mr C Vette. 50/1.

3) 'Light Of Doom' ridden in the bright red of it's owner, Monsieur FrenchShite.

:oops::cry:

Luckily a quick scan of teh interwebz reveals lack of heat and red light of doom are thermostat related.

NEW RULES ON OLD CARS CAUSE CONSTERNATION IN MALAYSIA - 16/5/2011

From June all second-hand cars in Malaysia will have to undergo an inspection at a Pusat Pemeriksaan Kenderaan Berkomputer (Puspakom) vehicle inspection centre. The move is meant, in part, to offer a guarantee to insurers that the car they are insuring is roadworthy. But it is causing concern amongst vehicle owners who have been accustomed to running machines for many years that might be fit for purpose, but which would not pass a Puspakom test. Motor insurance in Malaysia is not a profitable sector. Central Bank Negara's 2010 report on the sector noted that Malaysia's motor insurance tariff had not been revised since 1978 and that claims ratios had exceeded 200% since 2006. This has led to the growth in the number of motor policies insured with the Malaysian Motor Insurance Pool (MMIP), the insurer of last resort. Only 5,897 vehicles were insured with MMIP in 2007, while by 2009 this had risen to 128,058. Bank Negara is reviewing the whole structure of motor insurance in Malaysia, with a view to putting the sector on a sustainable financial basis. A new framework is scheduled to be introduced in January 2012 which will mean that vehicles more than 10 years old would not necessarily be categorized as high-risk. A great deal of dissatisfaction had been expressed that cars of the lowest value were often attracting the highest premiums. Datuk Mohamad Aziz (BN-Sri Gading) said in parliament that "this is a burden to low-income people who cannot change cars often". Prices for cover will rise gradually to ensure that they more closely reflect the risk involved.

I gave the Kangoo van a decent service at the weekend as it was due, with fresh oil, plugs filters e.t.c... Gave it another thorough wash inside and out and improved it a little more again. The seats have come up almost like new now, so I suspect they’ve been covered for some time early on in it's life.

I'm picking up a 'new' (well, second hand but near enough unused) spare tyre complete with steel wheel for it this evening, coming from an accident damaged 52 plate model. Depending on the condition, I may take the holder for it too as the one on mine looks near enough rusted though and bent upwards in one corner as if it's grounded something at some point (no wonder why the spare wheel is in the back of the van…).

If the weather improves this weekend, I may have a go at pushing out the few dents in the front nearside wing. I'll tackle the crusty sills (particularly the offside) when the weather picks up. I suspect the offside one will need replacing for the October MOT. I should get away with the nearside.

Imine looks near enough rusted though and bent upwards in one corner as if it's grounded something at some point (no wonder why the spare wheel is in the back of the van…).

The usual reason is that someone has taken the spare out the cage and not locked the cage back properly, so it drops down whilst driving along.

Re: Volvo towbar problem. Thanks to Messrs TimothyClaypole, Richard & shite_meister for the advice. It's a '99 Volvo S40 by the way.

Oh well. Back to the cable ties I suppose.

Now that sounds like a solution I could get to grips with. What could possibly go wrong?

^^You use a special rivet gun, Myg. Good for your project. Daffy to contemplate using nutserts for a friggin trailer hitch for the other AS-er's project! YeeeGod.... why not try velcro or bubble gum then? (shaking head in complete mystification.....)

Erm yes good point :oops: I must think before typing.

^^You use a special rivet gun, Myg. Good for your project. Daffy to contemplate using nutserts for a friggin trailer hitch for the other AS-er's project! YeeeGod.... why not try velcro or bubble gum then? (shaking head in complete mystification.....)

I thought they were only threaded in the end and tightening them up caused the middle to spread, or an I thinking of something else?

Took the day off work as Mrs Lankytim had a hospital appointment and I had a few spare days at work. I had a few hours in the afternoon free so decided to investigate a mystery/very annoying blow on the Audis exhaust system. The downpipe had been removed when I did a head job on it a couple of years ago and I had reused the old downpipe to manifold gasket as I didn't have one to hand at the time. Last year I bought a new gasket and today was the day I finally got to fit it!

Seeing as the downpipe had been "recently" disturbed I thought getting it off would be a doddle. RONG. One stud sheared off with hardly any effort at all and a couple of the others were seized solid. After much swearing, weeping, dropping to knees and biting the Audis front bumper e.t.c. the downpipe was finallly off! I welded a nut to the sheared stud in an effort to get it out- it always works in the magazines. Well, it don't work in real life! The stud sheared off flush with the manifold and will have to be drilled at a later date.

To cut a long story short I got everything back together again and after a bit of drama with a badly corroded bracket which sheared off and had to be replaced the exhaust is now leak free! W00T W00T!!!

The downpipe still sounds very "tinny" for some reason. Maybe i'll just have to live with it.....

Yeah its an 1800. Its a weird sound that I just can't fix! I had a Maestro with a brand new system on a while back and it sounded exactly the same. Maybe some systems are worse than others for making very annoying noises.

Yeah its an 1800. Its a weird sound that I just can't fix! I had a Maestro with a brand new system on a while back and it sounded exactly the same. Maybe some systems are worse than others for making very annoying noises.

Is any part of it stainless? They can be very tinny. The BX had a remarkably tinny exhaust note for a diesel. Your exhaust battles remind me that I still need to sort the exhaust manifold out on the 2CV. Leaking very badly, but it's a major ball-ache as I'm going to have to replace the studs in the head.

[quote name="dollywobbler

Is any part of it stainless? They can be very tinny. The BX had a remarkably tinny exhaust note for a diesel. Your exhaust battles remind me that I still need to sort the exhaust manifold out on the 2CV. Leaking very badly' date=' but it's a major ball-ache as I'm going to have to replace the studs in the head.[/quote]

The whole system is stainless apart from the downpipe. I think using LPG doesnt help as petrol tends to soot up the exhaust and dampen any viabration or noises meaning noisy systems gradually quieten down. Not with LPG!

Have been to see my bodywork guru and have since spoken to the lady who hit my car. I was really concerned she'd run at the mention of money but so far so good. Just need a written quote and can then arrange a meeting to exchange that for money.

Brown allegro in cornwall, may swap for something. Is it wrong im having thoughts that it would look smart with some period alloys and some sensible lowering?

Sensible lowering of a hydraspaz car involves lots of work, and it will just look like it needs pumping up.

It will upset Dr Moulton too, and he's a very nice old man, so don't.

But a brown Allegro. OOOF!

Bollocks. I've managed to get oil all over the Ami's nice new clutch plate. I'm going to try spraying a load of brake and clutch cleaner into the bellhousing then using it in the hope that the problem goes away, but failing that it looks like the engine will be coming out - again - so I can fit a new friction plate into the new clutch. At least the engine's easy to lift out, even with only one person and no crane.

Brown allegro in cornwall, may swap for something. Is it wrong im having thoughts that it would look smart with some period alloys and some sensible lowering?

Sensible lowering of a hydraspaz car involves lots of work, and it will just look like it needs pumping up.

It will upset Dr Moulton too, and he's a very nice old man, so don't.

But a brown Allegro. OOOF!

I have sent a message asking if he is interested in a swap, or failing that I'd like a look once/if the MR2 goes.............

Spent the day today at my mates house today stripping cars for parts and fetching an other car he bought back from his mates house. Started the day off giving the 820e a service, I havent really had a chance to try it out from cold but hopefully this will at least give the car a chance to run a little better. He then needed some help fetching a 3.2 Frontera manual he bought for trailer dragging and winter months, the Frontera sounded gorgeous. We went back, loaded up an old dead 827 Coupe after having stripped it for parts and took it in to be weighed in.

Whilst there, my mate made me an offer about the dead White Sterling I've got parked in his drive. He has an identical one and has never found the time to get it up to scratch as he always planned. He told me I could swap the car with his White Sterling, take all the parts I need off mine and he would weigh in the shell of my old car, whatever he got for it would be his, that means that I get a fully working 825 Sterling plus all the parts I need and more and he gets some cash for weighing the shell and other bits thrown in.

I've become quite attached to my old Sterling despite its wanting to delf-descruct and it will break my heart to pull it apart, I vowed never to scrap another car, especially this one, but its just too far gone and this is about the best and only chance I've got to owning a good 825 Sterling without needing to spend ££££'s which quite frankly I havent got.