THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

coming home from work last week in the trusty ovlov 740 and the back box fell off. one of the support brackets had snapped, so it being a non-urgent job (ie, the car's still running) it's still like it now.

then coming home from work yesterday it started misfiring..cleared itself, but wondering if the misfire was related to the missing back box? never come across it before

Possibly, the exhaust snapped on my Avanzato last year and it ran like crap & misfired with half the exhaust missing.

I'm not saying that definitely is the cause of your problem, but imo its worth fixing before looking elsewhere.

I'm fitting a new water pump to my 2600 SD1 tomorrow. I've never done one before so am hoping I don't kill it.

It's got a new gasket with the pump but should I also smear it all in gasket paste to be sure or will the new gasket be enough?

Just replaced the Driver's window regulator and motor on the Lexus LS400, from start to finish I think it took about 15 mins, either I'm shit-hot at mechanics or more likely Toyota were thinking ahead when they thought about how all this shit goes together.

Try pulling that shit on an Audi A3/VW Golf Mk4, nowhere near as well thought out, having seen many of them done they look like some sort of Justin Bieber three-way-fuck-fest-with-your-beloved type nightmare.

Scimitar has been hard at work hauling sand, gravel, bricks and general rubble about. Ended up a bit overloaded because the stupid council tip is closed today, despite stating on the website that they're open on Bank Holidays! Still bloomin' quick, even uphill, though the rear suspension was groaning a bit, so I took it easy on the bends.

206949_10150220337203200_640023199_8544722_3529298_n.jpg

Started work on the DAF at last. Its in remarkably good nick. There is bits and bobs of rust here and there but in most cases there is metal underneath. Have found some bits where repairs have been done before but as this is more of a 'preservation' rather than 'restoration' I am happy that its probably okay-ish under there so am not digging too deep. The only reasonably big bit of welding i had to do so far was round the headlamp.

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

All the other rust bubbling up was solid underneath so has just been sanded back treated with hydrate 80 and has been filled. I am waiting for it to dry as I write this. Will t-cut the paint over the weekend weather permitting and then spray the bits I have just done later in the week. Still need to sort out that bloody pipe that i bent on the oil cooler though. :twisted:

Had a bit of a touch at the scrappy this morning: went for a power steering pipe for the Astra and managed to get that plus an unbroken grille surround in the right colour, the exhaust heat shield c/w airbox pipe (which was surprisingly like new) and a fog light to replace the broken one for £30 the lot.

Just need to fit the bits now and get some p/s fluid, bleed it and see how it goes. I've noticed one mirror is of the non-colour coded variety so I'll either get the right coloured spray from Halfords or do the driver's door mirror black to match the replacement passenger one.

Next up is either borrow a buffer to get the paint how I want it or T-cut it again (it's looking really good but not good enough for my liking) then polish and wax before valeting the interior.

WINNAH!

Power steering pipe fitted, new fluid inserted, test drive taken. Running very nicely indeed, steering is A1 and most of the other jobs are now finished. Grille trim doesn't want to play ball though but I can live with that.

Tomorrow is buffer and valet time, made a start and it's coming up nicely by hand though and I've cleaned the alloys up which look loads better. Oh, will have to fit the replacement front fog too but hopefully it won't be too bad. There's half a tank of fuel in the bastard too and I'm determined to burn as much of that off as I can before I try and find a new home for it.

Billy in an Astra. Is there a finer vision of motoring nirvana to be had? That's just made me chuckle.

Anyway, decided today to have a fiddle with the Jag. Screw had fallen out of the passengers door handle, so I replaced that. Which was too easy to do so I decided I'd have a look at the fubar lcd clock while I was in the mood. The clock - is the same one fitted in some Aston Martins, so it is over £170+ vat new and has the lifespan of a gnat in a cloud of '70s Winfield flyspray... Spent 10 mins stripping the dash down to get it out, then ten mins fiddling until the display came back on as it should. Put it all back together, reassembled the dash and centre console and was all smug.

For about 5 minutes until it went back off. I will have to investigate it properly some time.

According to the SpeedView app on my mobile telephone (the most useful app I have so far downloaded from the Android Market), both The Volvo's and TV2's speedometers over-read by as much as 5mph, thus confirming my long-held suspicion that they weren't very accurate. Better than under-reading by 5mph, I suppose! :roll:

I've just spent the last 7 hours changing the water pump on my SD1. It's by far the most mechanically complex thing I've done but now I'm paying for a lockup I thought I might as well give it a shot. Just in the nick of time too as the bastard pump seized solid about 300 yards from my lockup causing plooms of smoke to pour out the bonnet and much sqealing. Some of this was from the car.

I couldn't believe how quiet the engine was when it started up once the new pump was in. I thought it'd developed a rattly top end, which I was doing my best to avoid thinking about but all along it was this ropey water pump.

Time for beer

Gearbox oil change. 'Bout time it was done on the Avensis, as I'd say what came out was the original factory fill, certainly based upon how tight the fill and drain plugs were (plus the colour and smell of the old oil). Bought a handpump that fits onto quart bottles which made the job of refilling much easier.

Do any manufacturers prescribe a change interval for manual 'boxes these days?

There's some good work going on this weekend chaps. All I've managed is to zip-tie the BX's loose nsf wheel trim to its retaining ring (which stays permanently wedged in the wheel). There are no holes at all in the steel rims. Every time I look at it I find more weirdness.

An occasional slight creak, and a tiny hint of negative camber is leading me to suspect the trailing arm bearings; and dampness in the the nsf hub area show a leak there too. Bastard.

It's still a joy to punt about in though.

When the arm bearings start creaking, it's time to get them done (about £140 a side inc labour). Only one of the ones on mine creaked, so I only got the one replaced. Other one became a 'one day' thing, and then I sold the car. Did get an advisory last year for uneven rear tyre wear...(now has new tyres fitted! Sorted)

Bus turned up on time on every occasion that I've used it, twice on Thursday and then once today. It's not the fastest route, the 28 from Newark to Mansfield, but it takes in some nice little villages. Thursday had a terrible old double-decker that wheezed up hills but today was a much more modern affair. Looking forward to maybe a single-decker on Tuesday.

Well, since I flogged the E36 on Wednesday, the day the Leon detonated, buses are all I've got to report on!

Just a question here hopefully in the right topic. The 75 (which has been of the road since purchase) has a 12 month tax of £245 and it's a 2.0 Diesel with automatic transmission. The same car with manual gearbox is £165 per 12 months. Why is the autobox causing so many extra emissions? I note this is a theme amongst all 2.0 Diesels with manuals being cheaper but to the tune of £85? Comparing 3.0 BMW X5s with auto/manual configs they have the same amount for tax so it's really confusing. Any help understanding this is appreciated!

There's some good work going on this weekend chaps. All I've managed is to zip-tie the BX's loose nsf wheel trim to its retaining ring (which stays permanently wedged in the wheel). There are no holes at all in the steel rims. Every time I look at it I find more weirdness.

An occasional slight creak, and a tiny hint of negative camber is leading me to suspect the trailing arm bearings; and dampness in the the nsf hub area show a leak there too. Bastard.

It's still a joy to punt about in though.

BX suspension creek= small bit of rag steeped in LHM. Wrap around the front strut, perform 'Citroen Aerobics' a few times (i.e suspension on all three setiings and adjust between them all the time) and it should be fine.

That's a top tip - or it would be if the creak were at the front. The leak is at the front, the creak is from the back. Two different issues I fear.

I'll try for some pictures. I ought to spend a bit more time on the BX forum too, but I've so much work at the mo.

Hey I've got my Land Rover back together! Just need to borrow a radiator from a friend as I'm too skint to get mine recored, finish putting the new wiring loom in, machine up a couple of adapters for the rear brake cylinders and I can try and get an MOT :shock:

IMG_3609.jpg

That Land Rover looks fantastic!

Right, a few hours with a jetwash, polish, G3, buffer, sponge, car shampoo and water, hoover plus copious amounts of elbow grease and an 8mm spanner have seen a bit of a result with the Astra...

howcleansyourAstraApril2011007.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011008.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011009.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011010.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011011.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011014.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011004.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011001.jpg

howcleansyourAstraApril2011003.jpg

Fog light fitted, car gleams almost as good as a new one, interior/exterior have come up superbly. Just needs the door mirror spraying to match the other side and a couple of touch ups in places. Well chuffed with the result even if it was like polishing a turd and probably no one else would be sad enough to spend hours on an old Ashtray.

Guest Leonard Hatred

Don't feel so bad Cavette, I've been spending hours on the autoshite favourite* MK3 Golf.

2011-04-24143403.jpg

I'm slowly getting it up to an MOT standard. I replaced the CV boot which went nicely but the strut mount is a wobbly mofo and I can't get the strut off.

It has a hex bit in the middle and a 22mm nut. If I turn the 22mm nut on its own the whole strut turns. I tried turning the 22mm nut with a spanner and the allen key in place but it's impossible.

How's it supposed to be done?