THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

Drove to the M1, the Island just before J24 is like driving through a ploughed field.

The tarmac is absolutely fucked and I lost a Scirocco hubcap.

Luckily they've not been made since 1999 and the dealer net work just shrug.

Seem to have found one via VW Heritage.

Do you think I should send the bill for eleven quid to the highways agency with some photographs?

820e - Following on from when I picked it up I was told that the car was overheating whilst left standing and running (To check P/S wasnt leaking from newly fitted pipe) I thought, oh no, here we go again, White mk1 Rover 800, overheating (Just like my White Sterling did :evil: ) Thankfully it only turned out to be a non-functioning fan. Did a bit of investigating and found the problem to be a dodgy connection, the connection had a bit of oxidisation on the contacts, cleaned up all contacts and had the fan cutting in when it should.

When I picked the car up from Romford a few weeks ago, the formewr owner told me she would have to leave it running for 10 mins to allow the engine to heat up properly, apparently if driven straight away it would lose power and cut out. Whilst sorting the fan, I found a paper-like pipe running from the manifold to one of the air filter pipes, the pipe bit on the manifold and completely ripped off and looked like it had been like that for a while, my mechanic mate told me it helps the engine warm up quicker, so I cut off the old piping from the manifold and refitted the remaining pipe, now the car runs a bit better and certainly warms quicker than before. The former owner told me that she even took it to her local garage ('Time Tees' garage Upminster) and they couldnt find the problem!

I also bagged a couple of sunvisors as the old ones had the outer sides completely ripped off which left a load of dried up orange foam crumbling onto my lap.

I also managed to get the original radio working, turned out to be a blown fuse, though once I'd refitted it I need the code, I found the code hidden amongst the paperwork and got it working, sadly, my replacement stereo had swallowed a cassette and I had to dismantle it to remove the cassette, now the stereo is in pieces and cant really be put back together, no major loss though, it wasnt very good anyway.

820e still needs a service, cambelt, T-cut, headlining, and one of these wheel trims:

140.jpg

I think I'll leave that to my mate, give him something to do.

Finally took Saab out for a spin today. Forgotten how many little jobs need doing (Headlining, Rust spots, Rear spoiler, rear wheel bearing, car cutting out on full boost, etc).

Then the front right caliper decided to stick. Meant that burning brakes and smoke accompanied journey home. Got back and parked it up. Came in and looked at calipers refurbed. Then went to move it properly into its parking space and the thing just freed itself. Took it for a spin to double check and it looks like it is back working. Cant help but feel it is teasing me and will need the calipers doing.

My fault for treating it to new brakes if I had left the old ones on it would have been fine! Still got to make my mind up whether to spend money on it getting it proper fixed or just run it into ground. Already has gone from £300 car to over £1k without blinking :shock:

is i one of these with thehandbrake on the front wheels? Those are the worst calipers of ALL TIME.

Or I wonder if it could be something that strikes similar Citroens - seizing handbrake cables. The BX would occasionally and randomly jam a brake on. I was once flat out at 55mph. Pulling over and furiously stamping on the brakes and pulling on the handbrake seemed to sort it out, but I fitted new cables in the end.

Yep front handbrake model. I think that once the caliper start being a pain they never get better. Car has sat in barn for 3 years so I would imagine it hasnt done it any good. Refurbed ones from evil bay are £120 ish.. ouch

Yo Moog, do us a favour. Can you have a looksie and see if you reckon you can get the drivers doorcard off your Scab with the door shut? I've just bought an 86 Turbo and the drivers door doesn't open. I'm also approx 3500 miles away from it...

I've just been at the local scrappies on the look out for some SAAB front leathers seats. Sitting right in the middle was, what was a real lovely V reg BMW 728i Sport.

What a lovely car that must have been. It must have suffered fatal mechanicals to end up in there as genuine e38 sports make good money. When I opened up the boot there front struts where in there with a big Alpina stamps on them and the most collosal calipers I've seen. Shame really.

Finally took Saab out for a spin today. Forgotten how many little jobs need doing (Headlining, Rust spots, Rear spoiler, rear wheel bearing, car cutting out on full boost, etc).

You probably know already, but assuming it's an APC version, these cut fuel if they overboost (via a knock sensor I think, although it's been *ages* since I dicked about with one with an MBC plugged in for larks), so you get full boost, then a brick wall. Wind the wastegate a mite and that might sort it.

That porker is glorious, btw.

More Saab related news, I finally got round to changing the radiator on mine, the old one had actually split at at the bottom. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to get the car on the lift though to check the rattling exhaust as a newish Focus died on it and wouldn't move ... Anyway the Saab's almost ready to sell now, I'm just thinking whether or not to put it in for an MOT. The current one runs until July, but thought it might be easier to sell with a full 12 month on it, I'm pretty sure it would just go straight through.

That looks great!

Can't help thinking it would look even better on period rims though.

I agree those wheels don't look right, but still a lovely car

+1

Aren't those "cup" alloys? you could prob sell those for quite a bit more than a set of 928 dishes or d90's would cost :wink:

Drove for an hour and a half to look at a dizzler Leon. Advertised as "excellent" and priced to suit, at £2100 it's at the top of the game for a 51 plate 110bhp. Still, full MoT and one lady owner, I'll pay for a good one.

Passenger window not working, dents all over the bonnet, a really tired interior (it had done 144k, the interior was way worse than my 114k Golf), timing belt cover was in the boot, no sign of it ever having been serviced EVER and the oil looked like treacle. It was a £1300 snotter at best. Oh, and it needed two tyres, tax and the alloys refurbing. I even asked about condition on the phone to avoid a wasted trip - "oh, it's mint". Bollocks.

As soon as I said something less than complimentary about it, the faux-trader* then just started staring at his shoes and kicking pebbles around waiting for me to fuck off. I took it for a drive anyway, and the amount of shit it kicked out the back was unreal.

*Faux trader: Someone who believes they sell enough cars to call themselves a trader, but operate out of their garden and will deny all knowledge when you get sales-of-goods-acty on their ass.

I awakened the GSA from its winter-long slumber and took it on a long drive yesterday evening. It felt good! I met the obligatory 2CV on the way (which often happens when I'm out in the G) and shared a flash and a wave :)

Here it is sitting in the drive when I got back home

P1010859.jpg

And a little video:

I've got to get it sorted for the summer (water leak, repair underseal) - I've missed driving it!

Cheers,

Mark.

I took the Mini for a blast, as it's not moved for a couple of weeks. It was running a bit iffy and running on, so I got back and had a bit of a fiddle. Timing slightly more advanced, tickover turned down a bit. Wonderful. Perked her right up and she no longer runs on. Felt I had no choice but to go for another hoon. Maybe the ol' Mini isn't so bad after all.

Even treated her to a good soaking of Bilt Hamber Dyax S50 anti-corrosion wax (here endeth the plug - but I do really rate it) underneath. Need to make more of an effort to sell it. Didn't help that I mentioned a noisy gearbox in the advert, but on reflection, I think it's just a Mini.

2CV paintwork was brought to an end by running out of paint. More ordered. Saab got a bit of a clean. Scimitar will be on Drive It Day duty tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I have put some sound deadening stuff in the back. Wonder if it'll make a difference as it can get a bit boomy.

DSCN0286.jpg

Went to a C&SC photoshoot in it yesterday. Did 620 miles and an average of slightly over 40mpg! Very happy with that. Managed to find a brand new rear bumper on eBay.fr as well so will get that lobbed on over Easter. Lot of R4 love in the Lobster house at the moment.

Finished welding the Sceptre today. HORAY!!

So that's a 12" X 10" piece in the floor, 18" of inner sill, 12" of chassis rail, new front outrigger and 6" in the centre outrigger... which all started from an MOT 'advise' on a bit of rot about an inch square.

Scimitar joy here too. Went down to the south of Wales to join a Drive It Day run. It was about 70 miles to get there, 10 or so on the run itself and then about 80 to get home. A pretty descent outing and it used less than half a tank of fuel - which is good as it had just over a half to start with and there were no petrol stations open on the way back...

Really enjoyed hooning about in the Scimitar. The way it effortlessly accelerates uphill never ceases to amaze me. There can't be much this side of a turbo diesel that can match it for grunt below 3000rpm (ignoring vintage aero-engined stuff!). Yes, it was running a bit too hot (the gentle pace of the convoy left it with the fan running almost continuously. Must get that system flushed). Yes, the suspension is too firm for my liking and yes, the seats are not my idea of comfortable but it is an absolute hoot. Hard work, but very rewarding. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that on one hairpin, the tail may have been provoked into a 2nd gear slide...

Then I got home and drove into a rock, taking out one of the spotlamps (now removed!). Oh well! Never liked them anyway.