THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

Warning: Internet Knowledge forthcoming:

I have read that if your car is damaged by a third party then you have the right to get it repaired regardless of cost/car's value.

TBH the cost of repairing most cars is small in comparison to the bloody imaginary whiplash claim for taxi driver I crashed into, which they paid without question. :twisted::twisted:

If they are willing to pay that crap out on a daily basis then they should frigging well repair your car. If they don't just start complaining of a sore neck and buy 10 of them.

I've been fitting a new wheelarch and rear valance to the Cavalier over the past few weeks - it's outside so have only worked on it when it's been dry or when it's been dry and I could be arsed to go outside and freeze my tits off - and today managed to spray colour coat on it. It's from a Halfords rattle can that I had made up last year in Inverness, and although the paint's good, the nozzle is rubbish.

The accident was not your fault. Their insured was at fault.

You must suffer no detriment, ie. your Carina must be returned to its pre-accident condition. They must fund this, regardless of the age of the vehicle.

They may try to tell you all sorts of shit to avoid this. Do not believe them.

They may also "require" you to use a "recommended" repairer. Bollocks. You decide this.

And as Ian says, don't let them take the car away.

Yep.

I wasn't aware of this when my Accord got rear ended. It was repairable for not a great deal of money but the other parties insurers gave me as much as I had paid for the car. I expected them to take it away but the girl on the phone from them was quite adamant that the car was my property to do with as I wished.

Drove it for a year as I had had it MOTed a couple of days after the collision - which is a fair indication of how badly it was damaged - bit difficult to close the boot, which wasn't pretty and the spare wheel didn't fit any more.

Rather than have it repaired and have to get it checked by the DVLA, classed as a cat C and the insurance increased, I used the cash and part exed it for the C5.

May not have been the wisest decision to make, with hindsight as it was a decent car, been very well looked after and low miles. Comfortable, quiet and went like stink when pushed a bit. Only costs I had with it were two back boxes, a radiator and tyres.

When my Rover 827 was damaged in an accident, I was told to at least inform my insurers within 24 hours of the accident, even if I wasnt putting in a claim through them.

Everything was done through the third party insurers, they phoned me up and after some negotiatiing, the third party insurers paid me an agreed amount which included recovery fees and current value of car. This meant my car would stay with me and I was to do as I pleased with the money and car.

I sold the car on for peanuts but still made more than I padi for it, and that included keeping my LPG kit, which I've still got somewhere.

The good lady is very pleased with her golf after it's recent wheel bearing anti rumble makeover and pre MOT (end of month) brake love. Sadly time spent underneath the car yielded all sorts of other horrors that need attention before I can get back to playing with the Cortina, Best buy some new tips for the mig then.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was scanning down a bit quickly and all I saw from your post Mr Bol was the word 'attacking' and the reflection of a paper bag in the wing, which looked a bit like vandalism. Glad it's quite the opposite!

In other news, I've been looking for a runabout for Mrs_cav for a while now, since a house move is potentially on the cards sometime soon and she'll not be able to walk to work any more. Anyway, I bit the bullet tonight after seeing something fun on Trademe and after talking for ages with the seller, decided to press BUY NOW. Was hoping to contribute a tat collection story up here, as it's about 4 hours away from home. Thing is, I might be getting it delivered gratis, along with a cd player chucked in. Bargain!

Still, it's European and I'm a long way from there. Ask me how I feel after a night's sleep, interspersed with worrying about parts availability.... :roll:

Just took the Viva for its new warrant {MOT}..only failed on left hand tyre..so went and got a practically new one fitted for $65...and our warrant is far stricter than UK so im well pleased with the wee car..and not sure if i want to sell it now..altho ive got an oil leak from the crankseal whichisabitch..so have to ponder that...its not pissing out..but needs to be done..

My Mk2 Golf Ryder had a Pierburg carb and it really was shat. Once, whilst driving between Brid' and Scarbrough, it near-as-damn-it conked out trying to drive through sea fret. Not a nice experience around midnight when Id only been driving 3months or so...

i imagine the Webber does transform it, it couldn't be any worse....

Today: I have just passed the Royal Navy sift interview; meaning I am slightly closer to becoming a comissioned officer. Still have to do the fitness test and Admiralty Board then I'm in. Potentially.

In other news I have changed the sidelight bulbs on my BMW!

Nice one and good luck Futuramic.

This afternoon I wheeled out my trusted and very well used K'archer interior valeting machine. The BMW's seats are grey and attract dirt like nobody's business so was expecting not to shift some nasty tide marks which appear to have been there forever.

However they've come up a treat and I could see the marks/stains shifting as I was cleaning them and the water was filthy. Celebrated by giving the outside it's second bath in three days and hoovering the inside.

If (big if!) the weather holds up tomorrow I'll polish and wax it and spray/fit the new bits of trim I got yesterday.

Yep, webers the bollocks,

Fair flew out of the Henry Ford building this afternoon to be confronted with a mobile safety camera.

which didn't flash - do they flash?

anyway to the point - go home & posties brought me a Bridgestone tyre gauge - Hoorah

The mystery of the mildly irritating clicking noise emanating from the B5’s heater motor has been solved. A small unpopulated plastic connector peered out of the facia vents this afternoon, much like a fledgling preparing to leave the nest for the first time.

Unfortunately I was too idle to fetch the tweezers and the snipe nose pliers wouldn’t fit down the gap. So I prodded at it like a fat handed twat and it’s now taken up residence in the ducting again. Bollocks.

This is frustrating. Scimitar has MOT, and it's now insured. Tax is the final hurdle - and the small matter of paying for it... Landy auction finishes tomorrow, but I think logistics mean I'm going to have to wait at least another week. Weather's been lovely this week too!

You live in the arse end of nowhere - what are the chances of you getting a tug from DVLA in the space of the next week? :wink:

B5 as in Passat? The bushes in the heater go on these at fairly regular intervals, could it be one of those? Glovebox out job and bushes are only about £6.75 on eBaY.

This is frustrating. Scimitar has MOT, and it's now insured. Tax is the final hurdle - and the small matter of paying for it... Landy auction finishes tomorrow, but I think logistics mean I'm going to have to wait at least another week. Weather's been lovely this week too!

You live in the arse end of nowhere - what are the chances of you getting a tug from DVLA in the space of the next week? :wink:

I haven't actually got the Scimitar yet - it's in the Midlands. Once it's on the MID, I can tax it. Once the Landy sells and completes, I can actually buy it. Waiting is booooring. Should have done a 3 day auction...

B5 as in Passat? The bushes in the heater go on these at fairly regular intervals, could it be one of those? Glovebox out job and bushes are only about £6.75 on eBaY.

A4, but yes you're quite right - I put a set of brushes in it about a year ago! The clicking was down to a foreign object though - now presumably making its way back down to the motor again. It can stay there for now too!

Scirocco's old manky pierburg (sp?) carburetor replaced with an old but not quite so manky Weber.

Transformation?

Wowzer!

Has that sorted out the lack of pace it was suffering from then? Thats good.

You would be as astonished as I was when I saw the speedy cam-van!

You know how when you tune something up a noticeable notch & the gear ratios feel closer together...

5th is now barely half a ratio higher than 4th

Its amazing what a bit of nice weather does to the mood. I'd been feeling down all week 'cos the weather had turned proper cold again and the only nice day on Wednesday I spent underground in the dungeon. But Mrs_Seth used the Hillman for some local journeys on Wed and said it felt happy and I thought it might be nice to use it for some fun at the weekend. So with the weather nice today I've been out and washed it, cleaned the wheels, scrubbed the whitewalls and re-fitted the chrome bullets to their centres (have to take the rears off to do that). I'm really looking forward to doing some more miles in it now and it feels a long time since a non-chore like ride in it. :)

_mg_4373.jpg

I too have also been enthused by the weather.

185597_10150148983003200_640023199_8124418_2757731_n.jpg

Thought I'd prove to myself that I don't need a Land Rover to explore the local scenery! Mind you, the 2CV lacks a little in ground clearance (after working on the suspension a while back, it ended up a touch low at the front) and the lack of low-range gears also makes navigating this rocky terrain hard work! Went through a deep fording section and the water hit the fan. Steam galore through the heater vents and huge amounts of water inside the car too. Fortunately it just about kept going as I was entirely on my own, wearing nothing more robust than a pair of trainers!