THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

The 604 let me down last week.

The MOT was nearly up so I booked it in with my welding guy to sort a small hole in the floor.

I made it there, on the back of an AA truck.

It has occasionally been making a funny noise from the front right wheel and I assumed that the brakes were partially seized on that wheel (it scored me an MOT fail a few years ago). It was actually the wheel bearing collapsing.

As I went up the M25 slip at J17 I thought "maybe this isn't a good idea". I stopped and jacked up the wheel and found an inch of movement in any direction. Within 5 minutes a truck turned up because he said I was inside the roadworks. He took me a depot at J22 to wait for the AA there.

AA took it to the welding guy who welded up the floor and made me a custom decat/dedpf downpipe for the 607, then took it round the corner to a mechanic who seems to like old Peugeots (was telling me about a 504 cabriolet he works on). Got a lift to work. Got a lift home. Fitted custom downpipe on 607 and finished job at 10pm in subzero temps.

The 607 was fine luckily so I could get to work the rest of the week and it passed its MOT.

A week later the mechanic has fitted a new wheel bearing, fitted the two rear shocks I had spare, fitted a new steering rack bellows and gotten an MOT on it. Bill =£280

The 604 is parked up at work and today I changed all the windscreen washer pipes and cleaned out the nozzles. The 607 is flying without the envirocrap on it and is using a good 10% less fuel.

I think the envirocrap on the 607 will include a particulate filter, which causes all sorts of problems. Deleting it would involve using a Lexia/Proxia to tell the car not to look for it, as well as physically removing/bypassing it obviously. Your Xsara won't have any of that though.

If you ever do need to plug the Xsara in the FCF has a database of Lexias around the country, most of which will be available for beer money.

no you can't do it with Lexia/Peugeot Planet.

You have to read in the engine EEPROM with something called a Galletto interface.

This gives you a binary file.

You could send this file off to a chip tuner if you wished to get more power or whatever.

Also you can feed it into a program called ecusafe.

You tick on a tick box labelled something like "disable FAP"

This modifies your binary file.

Alternatively if you post your binary file on digital kaos forum someone will disable FAP for you.

Then you use the Galletto again to burn the modified file back onto the car.

Now the ECU won't bother with any of the particulate filter stuff.

Next you have to either bang the guts out of your DPF, or do what I have done and replace the entire cat and DPF with straight pipe.

This gives me the option to put the original binary file back on the car and refit the DPF if I want to return to standard.

The 2.2 HDI as standard makes about 138bhp and I understand that it can easily be chipped upto 170bhp. However I'm not going to do that because the standard engine make 320Nm torque and the rated limit for the automatic transmission is 330Nm so I think I'll not bother with that.

I might look at disabling the EGR in the summer though.

What I have noticed straight away is that the 607 used to have a nasty engine shake sometimes when accelerating. Now it's gone :mrgreen:

I suppose that having 5 kg of envirocrap hanging off the back of the engine swaying about was causing that. The straight pipe must weigh 1/4 of that.

The Scirocco & I made an appearance on 'Inside Out' BBC1 last night.

I nipped up to M1 J23a services to meet the wife returning from works trip.

Jumped out of the car to carry her suitcase & was collared by Marie Ashby

& interviewed because I was barefoot in the snow & ice.

It aired as an article about being unprepared for bad weather.

Yes it is... but try it as Mr Bol has put it as well as all one word (Zylinderkopfdichtung).... having done A level german, I still find their use of nouns to be a mysterious and worrisome process, basically though its a compound noun which means people pick and choose between the two.

As a side note, if you ever take a K-Series engine to Germany Zylinderkopfdichtungsschaden will come in handy when you are speaking to Herr ADAC....

m0rris

I've done a Keef/Bo11ox and bought a new motor:

250.jpg

1 owner from new, 64,000 miles and always undersealed and garaged so no rot, apart from a small amount of filler around one headlight. Never been welded :D

Needs a new PAS steering rack and pump/dynamo, if anyone happens to have one lying around?

It will be a much nicer drive when I've got the steering sorted out! I'm currently using the A55 Cambridge as my daily, I did want to use the Crab but unfortunately:

1: It's too good to use through winter, or even to stand outside.

2: The insurance for this is twice the price of the Cambridge, which is a real bummer. Will have to wait a few years before I can realistically drive it sadly.