Jump to content

750k miles+


horriblemercedes
 Share

Recommended Posts

Why no Renault Scenic II? Enough of their dashes went bonkers and set themselves to random mileage there should be a chance there would be one really high. Iirc the similar aged Ford products did the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BorniteIdentity said:

Surely all powered by erroneous ODO readings by MOT testers, apart from a handful of masochists and taxi drivers. 

I'd say you're probably right. I was once told about a Perodua with a genuine 900k on the clock. IIRC it had 90k and the selling trader had understood the 1/10 mile readout on the end as an extra digit

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angrydicky said:

On the Maxus, the odos fail  and show an incorrect, much higher mileage. A very common fault with them.

That makes a lot of sense. I thought the Maxus was definitely the most unlikely one to get to that mileage.

 

As with Bornite, I attribute most of them to MOT testers recording it wrongly. It probably isn't a coincidence that most on the list are the most common models on the road (so will have the most MOT mistakes recorded). That could also be evidence for more getting to high mileage as they're simply more common, but I doubt it as they're not typical cars to keep for that mileage.

 

The Audi TT still interests me. Not a rare car, but not common enough to be likely to beat more common cars in that way. I suppose that's the one that proves the rule! As I doubt many Audi TTs are bought to do insane mileages like this. They're just not the kind of car that most million mile users would buy (relatively impractical compared to a Volvo V70 or Passat, or Vectra or Mondeo for example)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

On the Maxus, the odos fail  and show an incorrect, much higher mileage. A very common fault with them.

Ahhh heritage, the odo on my Freight Rover has done the same thing and shows something mental like 957000 which the MOT tester didn't notice (much like me when buying it) and wrote down as 95k.

On the Sherpa it's because the barrels stick together, fuck knows what happens to the digital displays on the tinfoil terrors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

The Audi TT still interests me

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/999999-mileage.156356/

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/dash-pin-code-retrieval-using-vag-tacho.1686961/

Looks like if the mileage data in the dash gets corrupted (i.e. invalid checksum) they'll set themselves to max reading of 999999. Also corruption can happen on a jump start, low battery and the like. 

Bet the Golfs are similar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SiC said:

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/999999-mileage.156356/

https://www.ttforum.co.uk/threads/dash-pin-code-retrieval-using-vag-tacho.1686961/

Looks like if the mileage data in the dash gets corrupted (i.e. invalid checksum) they'll set themselves to max reading of 999999. Also corruption can happen on a jump start, low battery and the like. 

Case closed! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I posted this thread without believing that any of these cars probably got to 750k but interested to see what reasons everyone gave. The only one I had was mistakes by MOT testers. So that is pretty conclusive for the Maxus and the most common cars on the market that feature on the list.

 

 

So the Defender. Does that have the same odo as @catsinthewelder's Freight Rover? I'd be willing to bet that many Defenders do! Or are there just loads of Trigger's Broom Defenders with original odos? I'm guessing it's just the same BL odo with sticky barrels 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry Cade said:

Same. We had a Maxxus beavertail and it could move! Gearbox was shite though.. 2nd was AWOL.. Its still going and  last I heard was on 400k+

Ours was an 08 plate. The other van was a VW crafter limited to 70. The maxus was unlimited. The lad that had it permanently loved it and called it the mighty maxus. Until the engine threw a rod. It was a tragic day when it got replaced with another Crafter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely not accurate. 

Surely there would be a  Skoda Octavia and a Skoda Rapid / Seat Toledo on the list if that was the case.

It's perfectly plausible that a diesel 75 could cover 750k, the engines are very robust. The petrol Astra, not a chance though and even an old 8v MK3 wouldn't be used as a taxi to reach that mileage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a Maxus as a hire van for around 6 months and actually thought it drove ok, the only thing that really annoyed was the dials in the centre of the dash and the electric adjustable mirrors that needed help to make them adjust 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had a Maxus minibus for a bit at my old job, it replaced 2 Convoys which sort of ended up getting me the job at the van hire.

It was fitted with a tachograph which drained the battery in about 4 days so after jump starting it for about the 10th time I asked our local garage to remove it.  They did and I drove it back 5 miles till I got to a 30 limit and glanced at the central speedo for the first time and realised it wasn't working.  The garage couldn't fix it and neither could anybody else in the area.  It ended up coming back from Leicester about 6 months later with the interior covered in mould.  By this point I was self employed and earned a few quid sorting it out ready to carry students again.

ldv.thumb.jpg.56e5ab5e39e2cc4449bf42b6476e70e7.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, catsinthewelder said:

We had a Maxus minibus for a bit at my old job, it replaced 2 Convoys which sort of ended up getting me the job at the van hire.

It was fitted with a tachograph which drained the battery in about 4 days so after jump starting it for about the 10th time I asked our local garage to remove it.  They did and I drove it back 5 miles till I got to a 30 limit and glanced at the central speedo for the first time and realised it wasn't working.  The garage couldn't fix it and neither could anybody else in the area.  It ended up coming back from Leicester about 6 months later with the interior covered in mould.  By this point I was self employed and earned a few quid sorting it out ready to carry students again.

ldv.thumb.jpg.56e5ab5e39e2cc4449bf42b6476e70e7.jpg

 

I can remember the Convoys from my days as a student at Ludlow College. As previously pointed out the LDV/Leyland minibus at Ludlow School had an interesting rear door lock system whereby the last person aboard had to hold the back door shut with a piece of wood attached to the door by a length of baler twine. 

LDV Maxxus's were ok in many respects, they went well, possibly quicker than the contemporary floor shift Transit, but didn't handle as well and the gearshift was horrible. I'm sort of torn, because I quite liked the old hat dog slow but nothing to go wrong Mk3 Transit/LDV Convoy/Pilot etc, but found them annoying as a daily driver, bearing in mind the vans I had subsequently were brand new and were owned by the company so I DGAF about reliability.

Anything can get to a high mileage these days, engines tend to be about the last thing that wears out, most cars and vans are economically unviable long before they reach 750,000 miles though. It would take the average driver a lifetime driving the same car to get anywhere near that total. Most vehicles don't last more than 15 years these days so the window to achieve mega miles is quite limited.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...