750k miles+

horriblemercedes

As much as I like the old stuff, cars these days take the mileage much more readily. Years ago there would have been either a Mercedes or a Volvo that would have hit those miles, anything else would have been like triggers broom, rebored to death then scrapyard engine after engine chucked in it. Every weekend you’d be out there come rain or snow fixing the fucker ready for Monday. But then I guess people back then had the sense not to travel hundreds of miles for a pittance. 

5 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Multiple drivers. 

Possibly. A lot of cabs are run round the clock, one driver taking another off. Most cabs though last 3-4 years in the trade then they’re hanging. Or exceed the age limit unless it’s somewhere back o’beyond like Chesterfield, you can run any old fossil there. 

There's a mk1 Mondeo that Ford bought back with over a million on the clock but it did need a new box at 750k.

I've seen a few vitos and sprinters with a comfy 650k on them a lot still on their original running gear. 

The other two I remember being a transit connect on 324k at about 7yrs old, still going fine and a volvo s60 derv on a x plate that looked frankly like new. 

The highest mileage car I've ever owned was a BMW 316i e36 shape and it drove ok just painfully fucking slow. Had 250k on it. 

However, my old ml had done way more than that but I had it shaved a number of times when it was actually worth something yet ended up keeping it 8yrs and scrapping it anyway. 

That was most likely on 270-300k as we literally used it for everything including a lot of private recovery work. 

Living in the sticks can put even an average driver up over 25k a year. I'm currently doing a 90-100 mile commute so that's 25k easy just in work miles, luckily it's outside IR35 which is the thing the government won't talk about and why you're paying more for everything and can't get any lorry drivers. 

WRT high milers, my Uncle for some years spent a few years delivering stuff from the UK to Southern Germany twice a week in his trusty Golf Estate, then a Renault Espace.

Both had starship mileage on, as you can imagine when you're doing 3,000 miles a week. The Golf managed about 300k, the Espace IIRC slightly less.

1 hour ago, rickvw72 said:

We used to refer to the Maxus in the trade as having the “donkeys knob gearbox”

One look at the gearstick tells you why.

The best one like this is undoubtedly the Mk1 Sprinter/VW LT's.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Imagine ordering one and the seller didn't box it, just wrapped it up in paper for the postie to deliver like some kind of perverted donkey dildo 😂