W210 Merc. The lowest point of Mercedes quality to date? Discuss.

NorfolkNWeigh

On 10/21/2021 at 1:58 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Took the ‘new’ car to work today , noticed it’s barely any bigger than a Beetle !
1DC7325F-1639-46AD-8B4B-96ED9A81953C.thumb.jpeg.2fb17222e39a42f19a843111ccc5ad13.jpeg

When parked next to a modern Focus at work it looked smaller. Checked online and it was lower and narrower. It was only the length that was bigger and that wasn't as much as you think.

Says more about bloated moderns than anything.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:59 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

That’s as close to a risk free purchase as you could find, I would have thought. The 2.1 is renowned for taking miles. If it’s been neglected the cam chain can need changing , this is obvious when you start it up and there’s a rattle for a few seconds, but as s one owner car that shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve had one with 260k miles that was still on its original chain, injectors even clutch and seen loads with over 300,000  on them wstill running perfectly. My current 2014 W212 is a 220 and is quick enough and regularly shows over 50 mpg as long as you don’t cruise under 3 figures. As much as I love the 3.0 V6 diesel , the 220 is the sensible choice.

So went to visit this on Saturday. Couple of issues. First obvious one was that the car was warmed up before I got there. Sorry, but I'm not buying a car I can't see start from cold.

More worryingly, it had an SRS light on (which in fairness, seemed to startle the guy selling it). A quick OBD check said that it was a sensor on the front. Walked away.

The car itself wasn't in the best of conditions - had a scratch or scrape on most panels, but the price did reflect this. Shame. The engine did seem to purr for a Diesel - I was mightily impressed.

Still trying to decide between this and the newer shaped C class. I'm guessing the 2.1 engine is the same one that they still use in the current lineup? i.e. if it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Yes the 4 pot diesel is still the 2.1 , certainly up to the last year or so. The 2007 on C Class is a nice alternative if you don’t need the rear seat legroom, I used a 220diesel estate  “ credit hire” ( dodgy ambulance chasers courtesy car) for a few months in 2014 , it was a great car. Often showing 60mpg plus on the obc, I even got a tracking company phone call confirming it did 137 , which was nice of them, if a trifle embarrassing. Adults could just about fit behind me, if I pulled the drivers seat forward a bit, although if it was a manual I wouldn’t have been able to do that.

I think the pre2012 ones are a bit naff inside , with no screen or tracking wheel ( whatever Merc. speak is for I-drive)

I feel your pain with the damage on every panel, that seems normal these days, as I’ve found looking at CRVs and RaV4s.

76F524EF-B530-4C06-9806-C166B21434E3.thumb.jpeg.3b19047cb41dc48b2a42ab0d1785f6f7.jpeg

So after my disaster with the E class, I ended up picking up a clone of the W204 above ^ on a 61 plate yesterday, so thank you. My kids are grown up. The bigger issue is the dog 🤣

I believe it's the first year that it has the track wheel and inset screen. I've just ordered the aftermarket plugin unit that gives me android auto / apple carplay. I've since found out that the pre-2011 radio is called an NTG4.0. The later ones are NTG4.5/4.7. They are common across the range. Every day's a school day.

The other benefit of getting the later, but higher mileage car (I had a choice of 2) is that it's only £136 in tax whilst having exactly the same specs (how does that even work?)

What's highly amusing is that it has better spec and toys than my AMG Line GLA from 2017.

It's virtually mint. MOT is very tidy (an advisory about the brake lines having rust on them is the only thing in the last 5 years - I'll sort that out this weekend). If I'm being really picky, it has a cracked right wing mirror and someone's stolen the bonnet ornament (I've ordered one of the flat ones to replace). And the clutch only has a few thousand miles left.

Took the near side front wing off my s210 yesterday to see where the hydraulic fluid was leaking from. Turns out it is the short hard line from the reservoir to the  flexible hose . Rusted through. Part number 30 on the below diagram.

Will now have to attempt to remove and get someone to make me up a new line using the original ends.

s210suspension.jpg

I just had a quick look on the usual scumbag sites to see what's available in old E-class world. Sadly it seems the Carcoat Damphands have been reading this thread and have bumped prices up accordingly.

Many years ago I drove a new E2something diesel (2001ish) estate and I was a bit shocked at how agricultural it was for a Merc. But with my wiser head on I'd happily have one today with some toys and a autobox. And it was massive inside so that helps.

The later 03-10ish one was interesting me until my mates dad had his apart and it seems unnecessarily complicated. Those Merc-only rusty pipes worry me too, but where there's a will (and a huge parts bill) there's a way.

What is the assembled expert opinion on this one? (From armchair distance of course). It's in non-rust silver and has a pleasing interior.

autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102139028941?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=cv472tu&price-to=2500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&year-to=2003&radius=1500&sort=distance&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=E%20Class&include-delivery-option=on&page=1

Screenshot 2021-10-28 131951.png

3 hours ago, grogee said:

What is the assembled expert opinion on this one? (From armchair distance of course). It's in non-rust silver and has a pleasing interior.

autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102139028941?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=cv472tu&price-to=2500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&year-to=2003&radius=1500&sort=distance&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=E%20Class&include-delivery-option=on&page=1

Looks nice apart from the wonky gun sight on the bonnet.

If you are going to look at it pay close attention to the inner wing / chassis rail area just behind the headlights. For some reason 210's love to rot in this area or at least facelift ones do. Also check the front spring mounts condition but you will need to take the front wheels off to do this properly. Being a pre facelift the condition of the sills and jacking points will be much easier to see than the facelift models which have covers fitted as standard.  210 rear wheel arches like to rust as well. 

Engine will be an early V6 judging by the year (1998) so you will need to rev it to get a shift on. Unlike the big straight six diesels which deliver big torque low down so a more relaxing drive.

These pre facelift 210's are better looking than  the facelist ones imho.

Best of luck in your search.

2 hours ago, Nullzwei said:

Looks nice apart from the wonky gun sight on the bonnet.

If you are going to look at it pay close attention to the inner wing / chassis rail area just behind the headlights. For some reason 210's love to rot in this area or at least facelift ones do. Also check the front spring mounts condition but you will need to take the front wheels off to do this properly. Being a pre facelift the condition of the sills and jacking points will be much easier to see than the facelift models which have covers fitted as standard.  210 rear wheel arches like to rust as well. 

Engine will be an early V6 judging by the year (1998) so you will need to rev it to get a shift on. Unlike the big straight six diesels which deliver big torque low down so a more relaxing drive.

These pre facelift 210's are better looking than  the facelist ones imho.

Best of luck in your search.

Thanks, I do like that silver one but I've had a couple of 200bhp ish barges in the past and always find myself wanting a bit more thrust.

Maybe diseasal is the way to go with these, but I may be using this for short journeys sometimes and I'd imagine they don't like that. Neither would I if the heater doesn't heat for half an hour.

Interestingly the seller offered a very generous £1500 on my Celica towards the Merc. 

I suspect the fuel price "adjustment" we are seeing will flush out a few more barges in the coming months. Hope so anyway. 

16 minutes ago, grogee said:

Thanks, I do like that silver one but I've had a couple of 200bhp ish barges in the past and always find myself wanting a bit more thrust.

Maybe diseasal is the way to go with these, but I may be using this for short journeys sometimes and I'd imagine they don't like that. Neither would I if the heater doesn't heat for half an hour.

Interestingly the seller offered a very generous £1500 on my Celica towards the Merc. 

I suspect the fuel price "adjustment" we are seeing will flush out a few more barges in the coming months. Hope so anyway. 

If it’s performance you want, you’d be better waiting for an E430 to come up. When they do they’re not usually much if any pricier than any other 210.  They aren’t super quick , but very smooth and effortless 6.5 seconds to 60 and a limited 155 top end, fuel economy very similar to the 6 pots. Probably due to the stupid low gearing on the 5 speed autos, my 240 is screaming at 3500 revs at 80, whereas  my 220 sits  at 90 with less than 2,000 rpm showing.

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

If it’s performance you want, you’d be better waiting for an E430 to come up. When they do they’re not usually much if any pricier than any other 210.  They aren’t super quick , but very smooth and effortless 6.5 seconds to 60 and a limited 155 top end, fuel economy very similar to the 6 pots. Probably due to the stupid low gearing on the 5 speed autos, my 240 is screaming at 3500 revs at 80, whereas  my 220 sits  at 90 with less than 2,000 rpm showing.

Yes I'd like a V8 one. Seem a bit thin on the ground but something will come up. Let me know if you see one. Is there a pervert forum?

18 hours ago, grogee said:

when i worked at a posh rehab we had one the same with diesel power parked up with knackerd people carriers, it looked tidy and body was rust free, badgered the boss to get it back on the road , couple weeks later it returned, so i looked at the quote for work was 2k.. it was moved into a corner and fogotten about..shame.

59 minutes ago, grogee said:

Yes I'd like a V8 one. Seem a bit thin on the ground but something will come up. Let me know if you see one. Is there a pervert forum?

I joined a W210group on Facebook and it seems to be almost entirely in Polish, also everything seems to be worth 2 or 3 times it’s value here, in Poland and Germany.

1 hour ago, grogee said:

The headline figure for me in a straight six om613 diesel is the 350 ft/ lbs of torque, but then again my other car is a 190d 2.5 so i suppose that puts my notion of power in context.

There is a electric auxillary engine heater in my s210 (a switch next to the ashtray), not that it seems to speed engine warm up. You could also get a full on webasto diesel pre heater in w210's as an option.

Sounds like they are desperate to shift the w210.

Fingers crossed the price of cars come down soon. Inflation = bad, imho.

• 2 months later...

099444A3-4A30-4073-92A4-DAFCAE37E1AF.thumb.png.ea571d7c39d500708fbc66f00ee41028.pngMOT’d this thing today , needed a pin pushing in the washer jet. So far hasn’t cost a penny apart from fuel , I’d like to get some nicer wheels but as the tyres are almost new I’m not going to bother.

The advises are just carried over from last year, I had a look whilst it was over the pit and it seems very solid just surface rust on the springs and shocks. The front perches don’t have any rust, from what I could see.

I didn’t have mine when this was first posted up… but I too have a silver W210 now! 

634F48E0-121A-4717-B226-C28CF1860BCB.jpeg

E240 and only 56k. Very little rust is what attracted me to it, and the fact I’d never owned a merc. A V5 issue has meant it’s not been able to be taxed for the last month and a half, and to be honest I’ve missed driving it. As others have said above it feels so well out together, and is utterly competent at everything you ask it to do. Interesting comments that it’s good for talk drivers as at 6ft1 I’m not all that tall but tall enough to find some cars uncomfortable… not this. However, my wife (who is a little more vertically challenged) finds it less easy to drive… 

Mine does need some new tyres, and the screen wash bottle leaks, but other than that it’s luuurvely! 

21 hours ago, brownnova said:

However, my wife (who is a little more vertically challenged) finds it less easy to drive…

Surprising.  If you use the seat height adjustment (either the mechanical lever on lower-spec cars or the power seat switch at the back of the base on higher-spec ones) you can raise the seat about 100mm up, so much so that I squash my head into the headlinging and can't drive it.

The range of movement of the seat on these is a Loooooong way.

10 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Surprising.  If you use the seat height adjustment (either the mechanical lever on lower-spec cars or the power seat switch at the back of the base on higher-spec ones) you can raise the seat about 100mm up, so much so that I squash my head into the headlinging and can't drive it.

The range of movement of the seat on these is a Loooooong way.

Indeed. I've mentioned before the S210 that an elderly relative (she's 81) still drives, she's 4' 10" (plus hair) and the seat adjustment is good enough to allow for her to drive it and me (6' 5") to drive it, though I'm fairly sure she just uses The Force when driving as she is about eye level with the top of the steering wheel. If anyone in Shrewsbury sees a silver S210 motoring along with apparently nobody at the wheel, it's probably just my grandmother off to get her shopping.

I had tyres on mine yesterday… 4CE2E33C-3AB1-46B0-9D25-24E48D2DE70E.jpeg

Means I’m happy to put the kids in it and actually use it now. Discovered the washer bottle leaks too. 

Also… head definitely nowhere near the headlining on top adjustment. I do like it a lot more than I expected to! 

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d update this , as I love this car.

Went to Cornwall the week after the storms, was able to convince MrsN not to take the Boxster.

431CCF6A-31B4-4E04-B5A3-55B4FF59C27A.thumb.jpeg.963cd990b88dfbb9d78f73a7a1888a2e.jpeg42D227EC-49EC-4EC9-A616-6D074D27093C.thumb.jpeg.98b5c2d3b68c4a807dc45cccd80613bf.jpeg

Performed admirably, worked out to be doing 32 mpg over 1200miles.

A couple of days ago an old client/ friend from Kuwait Calle to say he was in London for a couple of days and could I take him to Lytham St Anne’s for a meeting. I explained I hadn’t got a car at the moment just an old Merc and would rent something. He insisted there was no need and he was happy to go in the old Merc- This is a man who buys half a dozen Cayennes or X5s at a time for his daughters drivers.

This happened 

5B20F749-2FCF-4294-ADDF-86FCDD9EDBDB.thumb.jpeg.ed920ceb6cb752440440bd49d4365e82.jpeg0ver600 miles in a day, a lot of it at 80/90. Didn’t miss a beat, of course . He reminisced about seeing W210s “ back in the day”  There are very few cars over 10 years old in Kuwait.

This morning I noticed he’d put more in my bank than I paid for the Merc, although £200 of  petrol £30ULEZ and con chg plus £14 M6 Toll , would not make it ideal as a work car!

50FCF01B-8DFF-4E51-BF95-BC41ABCCFAA3.jpeg

• 1 month later...

6ADD3703-74CA-4793-B6AC-380FB34AB4E7.thumb.jpeg.bbc3209ce0d023be5f3dfc13ce2d78aa.jpeg1AEAC2A7-6E19-42BA-A1E8-4E24BCF35CA6.thumb.jpeg.ff9bcca4c34863f2da43480da11015a3.jpeg

#Salooncarlife.

,MrsN, 2 daughters and the dog went to an Air BnB in North Wales in the Merc, I followed after a couple of days in the Jag. Soon as I got there I grabbed the Merc Keys , I just love this thing. They want a fucking van or Disco 3 as a spare car so it’s definitely still for sale- will swap for Disco!