FTP Action. Safely Home

Fumbler

8 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Back to topic. Have you pics of this emporium?

None I'm afraid. It was 01:45 by the time we arrived there to post the keys through the letterbox. When I return I'll get some then.

• Fumbler changed the title to LIVE FTP Action. Rescued by the local garage.

Phoned up and they've definitely got it. I've described the fault to them in detail. They're rammed, like, 62 projects rammed with work so my car might not be travelling home with me for a while. Nevertheless, they're going to try get a boroscope down the spark plug holes either today or tomorrow to see if the nozzle thingie is dancing around the cylinders.

Considering the clattering is occasional and in the top end of the engine, I have a hunch it's stuck in an intake valve. This is supported with the car misfiring when the clattering happens, so I'm quietly confident extraction will be an easy one.

Despite their promises to call me today, they haven't. I'll call them tomorrow morning. This is getting rather stressy now, because college ends tomorrow and I can either leave tomorrow afternoon or on Friday morning. Having some sort of ETA would be gr8 so I can then figure out how to get home with all the stuff I need to take with me. To muddy the waters a bit more, I'm at work all of next week, so this'll definitely get interesting.

• Fumbler changed the title to LIVE FTP Action. Radio silence from the local garage.

Tell them to take all the spark plugs out, spray a load of wd40 in all the holes, then turn it over for 20 seconds. 

They can look for the nozzle thingy later after its shot out and bounced off three walls and the ceiling. 

You've nothing to lose but your inhibitions about potential engine damage. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Tell them to take all the spark plugs out, spray a load of wd40 in all the holes, then turn it over for 20 seconds. 

They can look for the nozzle thingy later after its shot out and bounced of three walls and the ceiling. 

You've nothing to lose but your inhibitions about potential engine damage. 

That is, if it has even made its way in there. I have a feeling it's too big to get past an intake valve, but who knows. They should be able to give me some sort of an answer tomorrow. It isn't difficult to remove the intake to even have a look. The annoying part is that coolant flows though it.

• Fumbler changed the title to LIVE FTP Action. The Local Garage Investigates.
2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

They'll get back to me later on today with their findings.

...Actually I'm going to phone them at 3 just in case they forget like yesterday. I can get a lift home tonight if they can't guarantee the car will be fixed tomorrow. Once I'm home I can stop worrying as much.

10 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I should stop worrying if I were you, and just go home.

Tomorrow is a whole new day. 

I'll stop worrying so much once I know the extent of the problem, which should hopefully come to light today.

• Fumbler changed the title to LIVE FTP Action. The Local Garage Fixes It.

-Just put down the phone. Piece of brass extracted from no.4 cylinder. They had a power cut and will be working till 8 this evening. Winner. They say I should be able to collect tonight following confirmation it's buttoned up and ready to go. Double winner.

Great news! Hope that is it all sorted. I guess you may need another AP jet in due course, but will be interesting to see how if its absence has any practical effect. In the meantime, a bonus is, if you like their work and their bill, you have found another garage to use for working on your car if you need it. 

Just now, Mrs6C said:

Great news! Hope that is it all sorted. I guess you may need another AP jet in due course, but will be interesting to see how if its absence has any practical effect. In the meantime, a bonus is, if you like their work and their bill, you have found another garage to use for working on your car if you need it. 

I'll bin the carb as soon as I reasonably can. The AP will work but it won't be as effective as it used to. I'm not too concerned however.

36 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I've noted the nozzle on the carb on mine doesn't feel massively secure...methinks it'll be doing something about that in due course. 

Especially given how much harder it would be to fish the damned thing out of this engine!

Get it out while you can! I can imagine fishing it out of a suitcase intake manifold would be painful.