FTP Action. Safely Home

Fumbler

Mods, please move this wherever you see fit. 

Currently on the side of the road on A303 westbound , 2/3 miles outside Wincanton. Predictably, I have no tools. Anybody able to assist before I spread open my wallet and get it towed home?

Sit rep- car now starts and runs but the idle is lumpy and there's a mechanical clunk which causes the idle to go weird. The throttle is sticky when this happens. So it's swallowed something but I don't know what as I cant remove the intake.

Just now, captain_70s said:

There may be a fee for an immediate recovery if you join at the time, so watch out. I know from bitter experience the RAC have a 24hr cool down between you joining and being able to use the service...

As do almost all providers - hopefully there won’t be too much of a surcharge for immediate response. 

Best of luck!

Second thought, if they charge a fortune then are you a member of one of those local community FB groups? Usually one of these banger racing scrap car collect and 24hr recovery cash in hand types that will be fairer priced. Poss worth sticking a post up?

Does your insurance company provide a recovery service as part of their policy? Many do these days, also sometimes credit card companies. If not, then if you have to pay for AA membership now, it will be worth for the next time you or a companion in a vehicle has another FTP.

In the meantime, hope you can get yourself and the car to a place of safety and either resolve the issue or get recovered home.

2 minutes ago, loserone said:

If you have a really good friend with AutoAid they can ring and describe your location to come and help them* out with their* car.

Obviously this is fraudulent.

...but a necessary evil. If I can get the intake off then that'll be a start in figuring out what the heck happened.

Could it be as simple as the throttle cable? The clips have a habit of coming loose at the carb end causing the idle to shoot up and throttle reponse to go weird. Might be worth manipulating the throttle on the cable and see if it makes any difference?

Don't try joining the AA if you've broken down. It'll be like £300, or normal price but they'll charge you a call-out fee and you have to pay for recovery by the mile. Ask me how I know.

17 minutes ago, barrett said:

Could it be as simple as the throttle cable? The clips have a habit of coming loose at the carb end causing the idle to shoot up and throttle reponse to go weird. Might be worth manipulating the throttle on the cable and see if it makes any difference?

Don't try joining the AA if you've broken down. It'll be like £300, or normal price but they'll charge you a call-out fee and you have to pay for recovery by the mile. Ask me how I know.

Found the issue:

PXL_20211017_220445029.thumb.jpg.e0a20fac7010a30685997a8ed429e4c8.jpg

The accelerator pump nozzle fell into the engine. At least it's made of brass. This is what stuck the throttle open and what's now clattering around in a cylinder.

5 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

of the fuck 

Put basically, the pump nozzle burst out of its socket when i put my foot down to overtake and lodged itself between the throttle plate and venturi, jamming it open. After I pulled over, I operated the throttle some more and it freed up, meaning the nozzle had fallen through. When I started the engine to move the car further into the layby (I couldn't push), it got sucked in and is rattling around either a valve or in a cylinder itself.

• Fumbler changed the title to LIVE FTP Action. Big Yellow Bus Already Late
3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Y, tho? I always have a basic kit with me, and not for a temperemental Frenchie.

This is the 1 time I didn't bring them. Even if I did, I wouldn't have had pliers to fish it out.

We were given an ETA on recovery app but no, apparently that's BS according to the call centre.