Yet another mystery car

Pieman

Found this photo on Pissedonheads earlier - this was taken in Fareham, Hampshire in the early 60s.  What is the fairly big fastback parked between the Mini and the 100E?

A city street filled with lots of traffic - Pistonheads

My guess is a Tatra or something similarly Eastern European, and a popular guess on PH is a Lancia, but I'm not sure.

51 minutes ago, Crackers said:

I'm focusing on the very front of the car:

image.png.722e19ec9154b382123844f989180817.png

It looks to me like it has a large grille/other protrusion from bumper to bonnet height.

The closest thing I can find at the moment is a Pontiac Torpedo 6 coupe, and even that's still not quite right:

1941-Pontiac-Streamliner-Torpedo-Six-Sed

5 hours ago, Pieman said:

Found this photo on Pissedonheads earlier - this was taken in Fareham, Hampshire in the early 60s.  What is the fairly big fastback parked between the Mini and the 100E?

A city street filled with lots of traffic - Pistonheads

My guess is a Tatra or something similarly Eastern European, and a popular guess on PH is a Lancia, but I'm not sure.

Sod that, and minis, farinas and angle boxes. An Olivers shoes, H &C stores and a Classic? Is it really not a Tatra?

9 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Not a clue but I'm leaning more towards Eastern Europe than America

imageedit_3_7378812353.jpg.c395fc226c10f34442937da443df375a.jpg

Probably more for elimination from the search than confirmation, but my first thought was a FSO Warswaza -

image.thumb.png.1a91c43f2631d8d0f5018575bba2a454.png

But the wheel arches aren't squared off and the bonnet is flatter. The utilitarian roof rack is more suited to the FSO than a Lancia though...

The Warswaza and the Tatra are the only 'fastback' East Europeans that I can think of, and it's probably neither. Should we have eliminated the yanks from this search? What about France or Spain?

5 hours ago, martc said:

Probably more for elimination from the search than confirmation, but my first thought was a FSO Warswaza -

image.thumb.png.1a91c43f2631d8d0f5018575bba2a454.png

But the wheel arches aren't squared off and the bonnet is flatter. The utilitarian roof rack is more suited to the FSO than a Lancia though...

The Warswaza and the Tatra are the only 'fastback' East Europeans that I can think of, and it's probably neither. Should we have eliminated the yanks from this search? What about France or Spain?

No, because:

13 hours ago, barrett said:

It's another home-made one-off, not a production car of any sort. Another one we'll probably never know the answer to.

Honestly. I know what every production car from every country (okay, maybe not every one from Japan) 1948-1970 is. That's not a boast, I just do. The mystery car isn't one of them.

14 minutes ago, barrett said:

No, because:

Honestly. I know what every production car from every country (okay, maybe not every one from Japan) 1948-1970 is. That's not a boast, I just do. The mystery car isn't one of them.

Could it be Japanese then? (ducks, grabs coat, leaves)

14 hours ago, barrett said:

Don't show the Pistonheads wankers or somebody will start building a replica out of a Sunbeam Alpine...

Too late! That's where it came from.

36 minutes ago, martc said:

Could it be Japanese then? (ducks, grabs coat, leaves)

I know your suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but I can't think of anything they were offering that looks like it. And the chances of it being here would be incredibly slim.

What's odd is the fastback rear which is usually seen on older cars with slightly separate front wings (Peugeot 203, Volvo PV544, various Americans etc) mixed with the late '50s grey porridge front end. The split screen and what look like sliding door windows are also dated, yet the whole thing looks quite well-resolved. It seems like an odd thing to build as a special.

27 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

What's odd is the fastback rear which is usually seen on older cars with slightly separate front wings (Peugeot 203, Volvo PV544, various Americans etc) mixed with the late '50s grey porridge front end. The split screen and what look like sliding door windows are also dated, yet the whole thing looks quite well-resolved. It seems like an odd thing to build as a special.

It is odd, but people did build odd things. I think any unusual proportions are usually a result of inexperience in the designer/builder. The 'specials' which have survived today, or were publicised when new, tend to be on the more sporting spectrum, just because sports cars are more likely to be preserved, but there were just as many, if not more, odd little homebrew cars, or cars built by tiny coachworks, which have been forgotten because they weren't very attractive, or sporting, or well-made etc. I have reams of this shit, and the stuff I really can't identify is frustrating, but I've made my peace with it.

Anyway, as a taster, when I first saw the photo in the top of this thread a few weeks ago I wondered if it was related to this, which is actually the product of a professional coachworks (although not one anyone has heard of). The general shape is very similar, but it's definitely not the case. Could be a product of the same hand, perhaps?

323648103_filecopy32.jpg.506fdbebe5f75d238a1d42e0e4506f50.jpg

Likewise this is a very awkward shape, and again a 'professional' job. Only because it did a couple of events was it photographed and listed at all, otherwise we would probably never know what it was

992899596_open-uri20121011-3112-ayb9zp2.thumb.jpg.e837f7e4e06432c45b468dcb3d832bcd.jpg

This one is a complete homebrew (the bonnet is unoriginal). Not bad looking, but certainly not a typical 'special' as we think of them now

385339241_astonspecialfeedbackautomobile001.thumb.jpg.257e444128d0286412a64adea9ce644a.jpg

This one... I mean, who knows. I don't - it's Morris-based, and it survived at least until the 80s. Otherwise a total unknown

1492811922_20210807_1221172.thumb.jpg.43d797befefbf25af335bf504d460f08.jpg

And this, another recent online mystery. Again, awkward shape, not at all 'sporty', but obviously put together with a fair amount of skill (those double curvatures are impressive). Lost entirely in the midst of time

1233816549_mysterycar.thumb.jpg.4aa3a0c348ac40358ab3c041eb9f0313.jpg

And an example of English vernacular coachwork c1955.  Nice, neat, attractive but slightly 'off'. Luckily this one is a survivor

1697914357_filecopy4.thumb.jpg.a06a5f6d5916271f347b32446578e6ec.jpg

Fascinating stuff there @barrett. I have no idea what any of them are but there's shades of Bristol in the first, Jowett in the second and Sunbeam-Talbot in the fifth so it's easy to see how specials in grainy old photos could be mistaken for production cars.