Brand new to motorbicycling - 2023 we go again..

JJ0063

Feel a bit weird today

Did my CBT yesterday and if I’m completely honest I just didn’t enjoy it, I’ve not ridden in so many years I’d hyped it up in my head and feel a bit deflated. So much so I’m sat here questioning whether it’s sensible to blow £700 odd on my full license.

I could easily double the money I bought the bike for if I sold it, I just don’t know whether to push on anyway as of course on a big bike on the open road it’s completely different, but then again would I be happier putting the money elsewhere.

Didn’t expect to feel like this so I’m a bit lost now.

13 hours ago, Arthur Foxhake said:

You rode a shit bike, at the worst time of year.

Don't give up on this one Jordan, it's so much better in summer. Spend the money, take the chance. You'll have the licence for life. 

You'll love it in summer. 

What Arthur said. It’s a completely different proposition on a lovely summers day riding a good bike. Go for it. If nothing else you’ll have a new skill and another category on your license. 
And if even then you find you don’t like riding you’ll still get your money back. Bikes sell easier in the better weather. 

I did my (most recent) CBT as part of a DAS. 

I asked if I could do it on a big bike as I believe that's allowed but they wanted to see me on a 125.

So out we went on this Yamaha SR125 that was absolutely worn smooth, I don't know how many ponies they had new but with myself on it (build rating: Husky Gentleman) absolutely flat out I think I saw 49mph. It was not what I would have called fun at the time.

I would still recommend doing your test while you're there as it would only get more expensive in the future and presumably you have booked or paid a deposit of some sort for the course.

If you still don't like it when you've been out on a 650 then fair enough, that might be time to sell the trumpet and move on.

Had someone offer £4000 for it, they’re coming to view at 2:30.. if they pay that then I’ll sell it even if I end up buying something else as that is a fair old profit. 

Im still feeling as though it’s not 100% for me, im going to at least hold off doing my test for the moment either way as I’ve only paid for my CBT and nothing else is booked in yet.

Just now, wuvvum said:

That's a shame.  £4000 is a decent deposit towards a T5 though mind...

That’s my mindset, if I can shift the BM that’s 11k for a T5, I don’t mind buying an empty van and doing it bit by bit when funds allow so I should get an alright base for that.

You rode a shit bike at a shitty time of year. Probably in a shitty built up area, being told what to do. What did you think it was going to be like?

If I go out on my bicycle this time of year, say riding to work, its crap. Cold wet miserable. If I do the same thing in summer I go down the canals, cruise along at leisure and it's a great thing to do, completely different.

Just do your test and get it done, you have it forever then.  Don't get an expensive bike, just get a £1000 CB500 get out enjoy it and meet new people when the weather starts to turn.

Alternatively if you don't want to commit to doing your test yet, now you have your CBT you could buy a used 125 in the spring and see if you enjoy it more when it's warm* and sunny and you're bimbling around the back roads of Norfolk - if you do, then you can go ahead and book your test and then bimble a little faster.

1 minute ago, hairnet said:

Bite their hand off you can go thru the test and buy something nice with not all of the rest of it

37 mins late so far and counting… seemed very genuine and did message saying may be a few mins late but I’m not holding out much hope. Lucky I work from home really or I’d be pissed off!

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Result!

Buy this and keep the BMW.

s-l1600.jpg

I actually looked at that the other day, if it weren’t a grand over budget I’d probably give it a look. 

I would rather sell the BM and get a newer lower miles van or have some cash in the bank to convert as I’ve currently got the 4K from the bike and another 7.5 tied up in the BMW. That’s all of my vehicular based budget tied up! Without selling the BMW I’d have a car and an empty panel van on the drive with no budget to convert 

• 1 year later...

So a year later and I’m getting the itch again. I did however think hard and decide that I think I want to build a few months experience up before taking my DAS so found a cheap 125 locally to get some miles in.

Went and viewed this tonight, they are delivering it tomorrow as I couldn’t find anyone with a trailer to borrow and I need to buy a helmet etc (again..)

Its a 2020 Lexmoto Tempest GT 125, 1 owner from new, 1700 miles on the clock.

It’s the same 4t engine most of the Chinese bikes use, nothing fancy but I think it looks pretty cool! 

Really didn’t particularly care what I bought as long as it was under a grand and local. It’s just to get some confidence built up before taking my test and getting something bigger. 

3A168A5F-DD07-4700-B3B3-5803FF81280A.jpeg

DF5155B6-0751-465C-AA67-4FDAF5253CA8.jpeg

D0A4BDFE-1154-419E-AA33-8D50995A32FC.jpeg

92A5F1D9-1296-4B40-83FC-734826175BE0.jpeg

• JJ0063 changed the title to Brand new to motorbicycling - 2023 we go again..
51 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

So a year later and I’m getting the itch again. I did however think hard and decide that I think I want to build a few months experience up before taking my DAS so found a cheap 125 locally to get some miles in.

Went and viewed this tonight, they are delivering it tomorrow as I couldn’t find anyone with a trailer to borrow and I need to buy a helmet etc (again..)

Its a 2020 Lexmoto Tempest GT 125, 1 owner from new, 1700 miles on the clock.

It’s the same 4t engine most of the Chinese bikes use, nothing fancy but I think it looks pretty cool! 

Really didn’t particularly care what I bought as long as it was under a grand and local. It’s just to get some confidence built up before taking my test and getting something bigger. 

Paid £800 including delivery, gloves and a jacket. I imagine I’ll see that back if I sell it in a few months time. 

3A168A5F-DD07-4700-B3B3-5803FF81280A.jpeg

DF5155B6-0751-465C-AA67-4FDAF5253CA8.jpeg

D0A4BDFE-1154-419E-AA33-8D50995A32FC.jpeg

92A5F1D9-1296-4B40-83FC-734826175BE0.jpeg

Forget the 125 and do a DAS course.

On 1/23/2022 at 9:18 AM, Dave_Q said:

I did my (most recent) CBT as part of a DAS. 

I asked if I could do it on a big bike as I believe that's allowed but they wanted to see me on a 125.

So out we went on this Yamaha SR125 that was absolutely worn smooth, I don't know how many ponies they had new but with myself on it (build rating: Husky Gentleman) absolutely flat out I think I saw 49mph. It was not what I would have called fun at the time.

I would still recommend doing your test while you're there as it would only get more expensive in the future and presumably you have booked or paid a deposit of some sort for the course.

If you still don't like it when you've been out on a 650 then fair enough, that might be time to sell the trumpet and move on.

When I was an instructor I'd put every punter who was old enough and with the talent onto an ER5 ASAP. If they breezed the compound work on the 125 I'd give them a chance to do the cone work on the big bike before hitting the road. Pretty much all of my learners said that the 500cc bikes were more forgiving at lower speeds. It was also much easier to flog them a DAS course as well after they'd sampled a proper bike.

I’ve purposely gone for a 125 just for maybe 3-4 months to build some experience up. It’s been about 13 years since I’ve been on 2 wheels apart from my CBT last year. In my mind it’s sensible of me to at least have a couple of months getting used to it all again then going in for my DAS. 

I’m glad I’ve done it this way. I think I have bought the 125 at a fair price that I will get my money back as well as benefiting from having it too. 

If this works out nicely, I could hopefully have my DAS sorted by late spring/early summer and be able to get something like a Street Triple 675 again. That’s the plan anyway. 

2 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve purposely gone for a 125 just for maybe 3-4 months to build some experience up. It’s been about 13 years since I’ve been on 2 wheels apart from my CBT last year. In my mind it’s sensible of me to at least have a couple of months getting used to it all again then going in for my DAS. 

I’m glad I’ve done it this way. I think I have bought the 125 at a fair price that I will get my money back as well as benefiting from having it too. 

If this works out nicely, I could hopefully have my DAS sorted by late spring/early summer and be able to get something like a Street Triple 675 again. That’s the plan anyway. 

You'll become bored with your 125 within days and also pick up some test unfriendly bad habits along the way.