Brand new to motorbicycling - 2023 we go again..

JJ0063

35 minutes ago, EML said:

Didn't realise the street triples were that cheap now,  I had a  2005, 1050 speed triple a good few years ago.  It was a  great thing

They’re not 😂 I don’t know how I got it so cheap tbh

Just sorted a service and MOT for £140 including collection and delivery so will hopefully get that done soon. I didn’t want to MOT it until I was going to use it but for the sake of £30 I’d rather it was done now so I know if it’s going to need a lot of work!

Tried to fit the light today but the bracket to relocate the speedo doesn’t fit, I had a funny feeling I’d have issues with that part as it was from a newer model. 

I can make it work but need to fabricate some extenders for it. 

Going to get it serviced and MOT’d then muck about with it afterwards I think!

Took it round the drive, I didn’t fall off. Happy days! 

BCFF87D9-F1A3-426B-811E-23180962775A.jpeg

A9F64569-A12B-435A-9357-EB83297A91FB.thumb.jpeg.cd25dc2a8982a614cd460dcea089277b.jpeg

This is my Speed Triple, purchased two years ago for a frankly ludicrous 1100 quid.

Expected a dip in quality compared to a Japanese bike but it is a really well made bike. 

Btw I love the twin headlights, I think they look really cool. The first Speed Triple from the mid 90s had one headlight though.

B3EC6400-D5E2-4539-A849-C3E302D7BCAF.thumb.webp.74f33edbd06c94e3dab8de377ae3d0d7.webp

I really like the Street Triple but also like the Speed Four, especially in black. I want clip ons on my bike can’t get on with straight bars.

17A22F5E-C1DD-463F-BAB3-919F632984A2.webp.1e6ec59864d2a5b1d7e672bb475e5dfc.webp

Todays job was sorting out where to keep the bike, unfortunately no garage here and the brick shed is too small so I’ve had to purchase a ‘Ride Hide’ cover. Luckily managed to get this from about 9 miles from where the bike was in Kent on the same day I was there, completely by chance on eBay.

I also today bought an Oxford Hardcore 2m chain and padlock, just stuck it on the wheel for now but I’ve got a Y ground anchor on the way from eBay so I’ll concrete it next weekend. 

D8BC3EE2-6E84-4467-8783-F1971995E612.jpeg

04897878-5805-4069-8651-8AB2DF26C6C7.jpeg

So we have progress

Bike was picked up Thursday morning, had a call at lunchtime to say he’s given it a full going over - chain all fine just needed a good clean and lube, he said the oil was very black but said bar that it’s a very clean bike and he couldn’t believe I’d only paid £1600 for it. 

At this point he hadn’t MOT’d it but said the only thing it’ll need is a front tyre as it was on the wear marker. He said the rear was legal but hard so up to me if we just change the one. As I then new I didn’t need to pay for a chain I decided to have 2 new Michelins fitted.

MOT passed and it was delivered this evening with its two new tyres and a clean bill of health, full MOT and a stamped service book.

Set me back £386 all in, I have no idea if that’s reasonable but I’m still under £2k for the bike inc new MOT, new tyres and a service so that sounds like a very fair deal still! 

Finally got leathers that fit me now too so just need to get a helmet and gloves when I go to Motorcycle live next month then I’m ready for my test!

6FBD9EED-FEF0-48D5-AA1F-5D5B4D7227F5.jpeg

53E82B01-8276-4A69-A63D-2214C22B9649.jpeg

Always makes me laugh when folk tell you to run tyres in for 100 miles :D

There is no need, take it easy for the first 10 miles, get some heat into them steadily increasing lean angles then just ride normally, I can normally remove the chicken strips in the first 15 minutes, or on the second lap on a track day.

I guess if you ride in winter it may take longer to scrub them in so its better to err on the side of caution.

10 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Always makes me laugh when folk tell you to run tyres in for 100 miles :D

There is no need, take it easy for the first 10 miles, get some heat into them steadily increasing lean angles then just ride normally, I can normally remove the chicken strips in the first 15 minutes, or on the second lap on a track day.

I guess if you ride in winter it may take longer to scrub them in so its better to err on the side of caution.

I think tyre fitters tell you that so if the rider has an accident they can say they told the rider to take it easy for 100 miles.

Lots of riders bin their bikes directly outside dealers and tyre places after having new tyres fitted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I now have the above helmet in a huge size and it finally fits.

Managed to pick up some replacement indicators from Motorcycle Live at the NEC this weekend to replace the horrible chrome ones (one of which was cracked and held on with sellotape)

Didnt realise they were sequential, not really my thing but they look better than the old ones! 

Old:

25E62323-C37C-44CA-971A-66D75317B434.jpeg

New:

7E72B45F-085A-4978-B13A-6193FDB23C90.jpeg

My late father owned J777 MDX but we lost it through selling his car and stupidly trusting the buyers word that he’d let us keep the plate (yes I know I should have retained it before selling)

Spotted this and thought it was a nice thing to buy for the bike. Old man had bought my plate I’ve got on the BMW for my 21st and as this bike is a 30th present to myself, I decided to get myself the plate almost as a bit of a ‘cheers’ to him.

6AD1BD62-2234-4D72-A52F-D84C1A2B0204.jpeg

Might be worth a session with the hose pipe to check whether water is getting through the shelter fabric or not. 

If not, the moisture could be from condensation forming inside the shelter. You might be able to reduce condensation by creating some airflow in the shelter/over the ground the shelter is on. Bricks under the shelter to create a bit of a gap maybe