Brand new to motorbicycling - 2023 we go again..

JJ0063

21 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Don't write off older sportsbikes, as many have tte ergonomics of a more modern tourer

Ergonomics but maybe not the seat. I rode my old zxr from blackburn to Essex and back 8 year ago and I'm still walking like John Wayne now 🤣

Best advice is to get exactly what you want. If you don't get exactly what YOU want then you won't be getting the most out of your license. If you buy what you think you ought to, you might do 1500mi the first year, 500 the next and sell the bike year 3, reasoning biking isn't for you.

If you make your own choice (and own mistakes) then at least there is fun in the discovery and learning in the mistakes.

A lot of proper bikers are no help at all as any motorbike is fun given the right situation, they will most likely encourage you to start a collection. Wahey!

56 minutes ago, Matty said:

Ergonomics but maybe not the seat. I rode my old zxr from blackburn to Essex and back 8 year ago and I'm still walking like John Wayne now 🤣

Rode my KTM RC8 3,000 miles around the Balkans, and 2,000 miles to Bratislava and back.  No issues as the seat was perfectly shaped.

My Street Triple has me in agony after 40 minutes. Its the most uncomfortable seat of any of the 100+ bikes I've owned.

Agree with the stuff before.  I’ve found that the Japanese bikes are similarly reliable but the characters of bikes can be very different.  I had a Honda Hornet 600 as my first bike after direct access and it was a hoot but the small fuel tank range didn’t fit with my commute.

Some giant trail bikes were easy to ride and suited my character more than out and out sports bikes, but they can all get a hustle on if you’re even moderately skilled.  Modern tyres are better than most people’s bravery.

I dearly loved my ZZR1100 because it was so easy to ride; basically on the roads you’re only using 30% of its capacity so you could loaf along with very little effort.  However if you need to somewhere quickly it was faster than anything except a helicopter.  It always felt like a big, friendly bike and it would look after you.

I also had a Honda VFR750 which everyone says was a sensible speedy bike but I found it soulless.

500cc bikes are fast enough to be stupid on and are cheaper to run.  I can’t remember what bikes my instructor used but it was an aircooled twin 500 and this thing was dropped at least twice a day, had the clutch slipped all the time and was generally ridden by idiots.  Yet the only tools the instructor carried to keep a fleet of three running was a spanner to tighten the mirror when it got dropped again.

Buy second hand. Something cheap, 250 - 500 cc ride it for a year and get some experience. If it goes tits up, or you crash, its not a huge loss. If all goes well. Sell it and buy something better.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202110098298718?make=Kawasaki&postcode=so157np&cc-from=200&cc-to=600&advertising-location=at_bikes&price-to=2000&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&radius=1500&page=3

I much prefer the "classic" looking Z650 :D

https://www.kawasaki.co.uk/en/products/Z900RS/2022/Z650RS/overview?Uid=07A0ClleC15ZWQpdX1xcXFxdXlBdXVgKUVhcUF0OWV1YXgs

Just remember "bikeshite " as we know "autoshite" is different. Buying a cheap bike that needs needs little fettling can get expensive quickly...  pair of tyres and  chain and sprockets can be the best part of £400.. throw in some fork seals and gunked up carbs, can be another 2-300. If you can do it yourself, then fine, but be aware of costs.. a first bike with a sloppy chain and wobbly wheel bearings will put you off for life.  Maybe think outside the box.. a mint RF600 for example, might be a better buy than a ropey Bandit. I had a "grey" ZZR400 as a first big bike.. Big bike, not too mental but was in very good condition  and much cheaper than a 600 at the time.

7 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Thanks again all, just about to sit down and read all these replies!

Whilst I’m doing that, anyone know of any bikes which look similar to this Mutt 125 but with a bigger engine/more size to it? I’ve seen these in person and they’re  quite small but Mrs JJ loves the style. 

5D6201B7-02AC-4980-90AB-20AE2BF99904.webp

Mrs JJ needs this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224629034509?hash=item344cef0e0d:g:crMAAOSwMNlhVU7~

3 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Yes bandits are pretty good too, if you can find one that hasn't had loads of rubbish chrome tat bolted to it.
Better pillion seat that the MT07 et al as well.

my old Bandit 600 and GSX750F (yes I was  Bat Fastard) im now a slightly smaller one!!!!

Bandit was bought Brand new in 2004 after a heart scare, and the 750 I got in 2011 but realised my hip and back wasn't up to riding that style!!

bandit.jpg

batfastard1.jpg

21 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Whilst I’m doing that, anyone know of any bikes which look similar to this Mutt 125 but with a bigger engine/more size to it? I’ve seen these in person and they’re  quite small but Mrs JJ loves the style. 

Ducati or Trump Scrambler..

1b285a9b91734e255b1ad7251d439ae1.jpg
Bought this brand fire new with 2 yrs warranty for 5 grand last year. Benelli. Designed in Italy (maybe) Made in China, owned by Geely of Volvo fame. Chinese have moved on, snobbery has not, a two year old one with next to no miles on will be in budget.
I’ve been everywhere on mine mostly 2 up.
Brilliant Italian Chinese bike, how very autoshite…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Theres a 250 version.

https://muttmotorcycles.com/collections/bikes/products/hilts-matt-green-250cc-motorcycle

I bought a Kawasaki ER5 as a first bike in similar circumstances in 2013. £900 bought me a FSH, 38k, garaged since new bike which was fantastic. It only let me down once when I broke it myself - but despite this I conducted my first ever carb repair in the garden and it fired up first time afterwards. Build quality was good and if you like the feel, as I did, it's one of the last 'all metal' bikes that was made - nowadays chrome is replaced with plastic. I loved the classic round headlight look. It has more than enough power for any  'fun' scenario but if you wanted to do over 80 on the motorway it began to struggle.

To demonstrate this I took my shit bike to the Alps:

2015-jul-15-1100-1130-IMG_1412.jpg.c54dc56a1b79ca6a2e674187fc7a6d4d.jpg

Gear I bought all second hand on ebay. I'm wearing about £200 of all second hand clothing there, and bags were cheap too. The helmet was the cheapest HJC I could buy from the local bike shop but it was really good - although I can see why you'd spend more (sun visor, better ratchet would have been handy).

Anyway, I would 100% recommend an ER5. They look cool, make a brilliant sound (aftermarket exhausts sound shit though), have six gears, are easy to ride and I got 70+ mpg from mine. 150 miles on a tank was normal.

P1070564.thumb.JPG.27a85097f7367e93c317282564c9098b.JPG

P1070554.thumb.JPG.d67f8faf3553d0b7cb561e88ad9f6df1.JPG

2 hours ago, crapcarcollector said:

1b285a9b91734e255b1ad7251d439ae1.jpg
Bought this brand fire new with 2 yrs warranty for 5 grand last year. Benelli. Designed in Italy (maybe) Made in China, owned by Geely of Volvo fame. Chinese have moved on, snobbery has not, a two year old one with next to no miles on will be in budget.
I’ve been everywhere on mine mostly 2 up.
Brilliant Italian Chinese bike, how very autoshite…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Best selling bike in Italy seemingly. Looked hard at these before I bought my V Strom but got a good deal on it so I wimped out. 700cc engine in the pipeline I believe and the 500 seems to always get decent reviews. 

Almost the Alfa Arna of bikes 😆

3 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Buying a cheap bike that needs needs little fettling can get expensive quickly...  pair of tyres and  chain and sprockets can be the best part of £400.. throw in some fork seals and gunked up carbs, can be another 2-300. If you can do it yourself, then fine, but be aware of costs.....

When I was commuting on old shiters, I made sure whatever I bought had recent tyres on it and a good chain

Once the tyres were worn out (after about 6 to 9 months, which was 10,000 to 15,000) I'd stick it up for sale whilst looking for something else with decent tyres. The difference in price was not much more than a new set of tyres.

Surprising how many people bought bikes from me but did not inspect the things you should, namely tyres, chain, brake pads and head/wheel bearings

Basically all the things I checked when buying

Thanks everyone for giving me your experiences, thoughts, advice etc! Much more of a response than I anticipated so I genuinely thank you all.

Ive got loads to think about now. I’ve spent a fair bit of time looking online at bikes but I think I need to get myself to a showroom and have a look at bikes in person and sit on some to gauge what style will suit me best. 

So far my favourite style bikes seem to be the naked style - Yamaha MT, Triumph Street Triple etc. 

I certainly won’t be buying new as the budget won’t allow it and I refuse to get into debt.  I’m quite surprised at the used bike market though, I didn’t expect to be able to pick up such new, modern looking bikes for such little money. 

After spending a fair bit of time comparing the costs of clothing, I’ve decided to go for very good condition used leathers but will obviously go for a new helmet which I’ll pick one up at MCL in Dec along with gloves. Boots I’ll see what is available but if I find some well looked after used ones, I can’t see that being an issue. 

Thanks again for all the tips!

I would look at what riding you plan on doing.

I wouldn't personally get any over 750cc as a first time bike especially if you feel you may be a bit rusty to start. As people have said even 600s are so fast now its unreal the shit you can get into if you are not on your A game. I passed on a 650 Gladius and it was a great bike but still so fast. Even when I passed I  would have said I was experienced as I have ridden since I was 4.

There is a lot to be said of riding a bit slower and enjoying it more than just going flat out. I have more fun on the 175cc Bantam than I did on the 1000rr I rode for a bit.

If you are doing big miles then yes get something a bit bigger capacity. If you are staying local get something smaller and enjoy it on the lanes. As mentioned about the ER5 that style is so perfect for new and experienced riders a like. The CB500 is a great bike for example. You can always upgrade after 1/2 years and you won't really lose any money.

I'm being very biased here, but I think this will tick your boxes, it's ace, it's reliable, it's economical, it's powerful enough for real world use, it's charming, it has character, it's not got a chain and it's made in the oldest motorbike factory in the world...

image.png.ca1e3ba48d48a512368f84d5f4bb0d27.png

The Moto Guzzi V7. The above are Mark III models but they've been making the Tonti small block version since 2010 so a bargain could be found. If money was no object, buy the first model from the '70's, now these are really nice -

image.png.f5000889fe7a84becc3ded7db2a1aa50.png

my 2 penneth...

my first bike was a 1980something honda revere 600 shafty - deathly slow, but great as a new rider. within 6 months that was gone for a GPZ500s - felt fast, for 6 months.

next bike was a 1999 R6 - do not buy one of these! it was a rocket ship, but they have some fairly terminal issues... an Aprilia RSV1000R followed. epic bike, very fast, bags of torque being a v twin. then finally a BMW R1200GS. 1200cc of Vtwin. torquey, lazy, but great fun.

unless you are going to plan to budget to replace the bike after a year because it suddenly isn't fast enough / powerful enough to satisfy your needs, i wouldn't discount a litre bike if you can afford the insurance.  I'll chuck the Yamaha FZ1 in as a possible contender - naked, upright, comfy and pretty quick when it needs to be.

either way, good luck, and welcome to the fold :-)