Brand new to motorbicycling - 2023 we go again..

JJ0063

The only 125 I've ever had which was proper fun to ride was this.

Planet.thumb.webp.b3758868800f93b5a6ef439cee3c0bfa.webp

Cagiva Planet with a derestricted water-cooled 2-stroke.  You had to ride it mind - in town traffic or bimbling along at 50 it was fucking useless, but caning the shit out of it down a windy B-road it really did shift.  Handled too.  I sold it to Jerzy Woking in the end, but I often think it's one I should have kept.

17 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I’ve purposely gone for a 125 just for maybe 3-4 months to build some experience up. It’s been about 13 years since I’ve been on 2 wheels apart from my CBT last year. In my mind it’s sensible of me to at least have a couple of months getting used to it all again then going in for my DAS. 

I’m glad I’ve done it this way. I think I have bought the 125 at a fair price that I will get my money back as well as benefiting from having it too. 

If this works out nicely, I could hopefully have my DAS sorted by late spring/early summer and be able to get something like a Street Triple 675 again. That’s the plan anyway. 

You really just need to commit and do your test. 125s are fun around town and the odd day out but they don't compare to a bigger bike.

5 minutes ago, tom13 said:

You really just need to commit and do your test. 125s are fun around town and the odd day out but they don't compare to a bigger bike.

I am 100% going to do it this summer, I just feel like getting this is a sensible thing and will help my confidence no end. 

It’s a case of ride the 125 for a couple of months, get used to gears, cornering etc and just generally getting back used to 2 wheels and then go in for DAS at least with a bit of confidence, or just book the DAS, turn up having not ridden a bike since my CBT last January and have 0 confidence 

I still think the way I’m doing it is massively more sensible, and it means I can roffle the 125 in the summer too… win win 

3 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I am 100% going to do it this summer, I just feel like getting this is a sensible thing and will help my confidence no end. 

It’s a case of ride the 125 for a couple of months, get used to gears, cornering etc and just generally getting back used to 2 wheels and then go in for DAS at least with a bit of confidence, or just book the DAS, turn up having not ridden a bike since my CBT last January and have 0 confidence 

I still think the way I’m doing it is massively more sensible, and it means I can roffle the 125 in the summer too… win win 

I know what you mean but you would probably breeze it if you book one of those 3/4 days courses. Lead times will be longer in the spring summer as well and that's hoping you pass first time. Summer could be over before you know it. You only live once just get it done.

21 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The only 125 I've ever had which was proper fun to ride was this.

Planet.thumb.webp.b3758868800f93b5a6ef439cee3c0bfa.webp

Cagiva Planet with a derestricted water-cooled 2-stroke.  You had to ride it mind - in town traffic or bimbling along at 50 it was fucking useless, but caning the shit out of it down a windy B-road it really did shift.  Handled too.  I sold it to Jerzy Woking in the end, but I often think it's one I should have kept.

Was a good bike, sold it to my nephew he rebuilt it twice after blowing it up twice...

IMG-20170401-WA0000.thumb.jpg.4cc2a73d558bc54ac78b0b9a1180ad43.jpg

It's in bits in his garage waiting for its rebuild, but with two young kids, that might be a way off.

I had a 33 bhp 125 Cagiva Mito. It took a different mindset to ride it to its full potential, but was so satisfying once mastered. 

Four stroke 125's are a different kettle of fish, you'll be fine with it. Chinese engines last if looked after. Let the engine warm up before thrashing the tits off of it (you will soon be doing that) and keep it clean and you'll have your money back. Just enjoy yourself.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:46 PM, tom13 said:

I know what you mean but you would probably breeze it if you book one of those 3/4 days courses. Lead times will be longer in the spring summer as well and that's hoping you pass first time. Summer could be over before you know it. You only live once just get it done.

A CBT plus an eight hour booking was usually enough to get most through their DAS course. The eight hours consisted of three two hour lessons followed by a pre test lesson and the last hour being the test.

For what it's worth I'm doing the exact same thing, getting some experience/confidence on a 125 before doing DAS in summer. Would do it sooner but I'm away on holiday for 3 weeks and can't get time off work earlier. Worth noting though that the theory tests were fully booked up until June where I live so maybe try and get that booked in and get DAS booked as well for same reasons 

I ran around on a 125 for a little while last month. Was fun, but I've just done a refresher day on a Yamaha MT-07 and the 125 is so skittish on the road in comparison. The big bike is so much more stable, so much more predictable. Time to move up. Shopping has commenced.

2 hours ago, straightSix said:

I'd deffo be interested in hearing more about this! 

90 H2 in the right colours. Been off the road since 2014 when my youngest was born. Its currently with the world's best bike mechanic having a few niggles sorted and 13 months ticket put on. Then it needs to go. My heart was always in cars really! No photos till she comes back cos they are all on some long dead phone 😄

2 hours ago, Sham said:

I ran around on a 125 for a little while last month. Was fun, but I've just done a refresher day on a Yamaha MT-07 and the 125 is so skittish on the road in comparison. The big bike is so much more stable, so much more predictable. Time to move up. Shopping has commenced.

Which is why I always tried to CBT age appropriate punters on the ER5s.  

Had a spare hour or so today so had a tinker with it. Very quick wash as it’s been stored outside before I think. Need to give it a proper going over but it’s slightly cleaner. 

Removed the pillion seat fairing as I just think it looks better.

Made a bit of a tail tidy as from the factory they have a weird looking lower mud guard with the plate mounted to it which IMO looks shit. Made a bracket, mounted the number plate light and plate. Need to fit the L plate back on unfortunately though. 

I wonder how likely it is you’d get pulled if you didn’t display an L plate?

3E65B795-8396-442B-8B46-A94D8FF79844.jpeg

D97A0D35-8D61-413E-B494-CE070F9EDF01.jpeg

9B017ADB-38D0-496C-920E-272E5B6E8EF6.jpeg

BD9A2200-AA61-4ABA-8E59-32BC22E80394.jpeg

Its regulations, the wheel is not allowed to be the furthest thing back so you end up with totally gopping mudguard type things to hang the plate out back.

Its a C&U thing rather than MOT so no issues there.

Not worth the hassle of running no L plate, it's 3 points and £100 fine afaik. Just pass your test if you don't want to run them!

And it probably is quite likely you'd get pulled, running round on a 50 or 125 with no L plate is prime scratter MO so your local plod, if there are any, will love this as a quick result and often a gateway pull to other document offences plus probably a positive drug wipe for cannabis.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Its regulations, the wheel is not allowed to be the furthest thing back so you end up with totally gopping mudguard type things to hang the plate out back.

Its a C&U thing rather than MOT so no issues there.

Not worth the hassle of running no L plate, it's 3 points and £100 fine afaik. Just pass your test if you don't want to run them!

And it probably is quite likely you'd get pulled, running round on a 50 or 125 with no L plate is prime scratter MO so your local plod, if there are any, will love this as a quick result and often a gateway pull to other document offences plus probably a positive drug wipe for cannabis.

Don’t want something else to get prang about after a few spliffs. 

1 hour ago, JJ0063 said:

Had a spare hour or so today so had a tinker with it. Very quick wash as it’s been stored outside before I think. Need to give it a proper going over but it’s slightly cleaner. 

Removed the pillion seat fairing as I just think it looks better.

Made a bit of a tail tidy as from the factory they have a weird looking lower mud guard with the plate mounted to it which IMO looks shit. Made a bracket, mounted the number plate light and plate. Need to fit the L plate back on unfortunately though. 

I wonder how likely it is you’d get pulled if you didn’t display an L plate?

3E65B795-8396-442B-8B46-A94D8FF79844.jpeg

D97A0D35-8D61-413E-B494-CE070F9EDF01.jpeg

9B017ADB-38D0-496C-920E-272E5B6E8EF6.jpeg

BD9A2200-AA61-4ABA-8E59-32BC22E80394.jpeg

Much better. Slightly smaller plate is always my personal preference too though I know many who don’t agree and of course it’s a bit naughty law wise. 
A pal had a similar Chinese 125 and beasted it everywhere. There was a technique with cold starting mainly based around the already mentioned warming it up properly. He did 7k on it before getting a bigger bike and the new owner is using it daily for his London commute. Neck rung from new though with servicing it took it well.

19 hours ago, Sham said:

the 125 is so skittish on the road in comparison.

There's one way to avoid that - buy one of these.

HYOSUNG-GT125-358_1.thumb.jpg.f7e115d199ddd0a3eec53b585d7e0501.jpg

Hyosung GT125.  V-twin engine in a Suzuki GS500 frame and they weigh a fecking tonne.  Slow as arseholes despite having the full 15bhp, but in terms of handling (and looks, and noise) probably the closest thing you'll get to a "proper" bike on L plates.  See also Honda Varadero.

16 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

They're a proper V-twin.  Hyosung's own effort if memory serves, although you could get a bigger version with a Suzuki SV650 engine.

Or you could actually fit the bigger engine and sell it like they did Novas 15 years ago “1.0 on the logbook but has a calibra redtop m8 up 2 owner 2 change if they wont”

I’m doing exactly the same as you, did my CBT for the third time (been riding around for 15 years on and off) on the third of December 2022, heneously fucking cold!! Move to January this year and while having one of the fleet MOT’d I purchased a 2011 Honda PCX125to go to and from the unit and get some Road time before doing my DAS in April….. however…… I work about 50 hours a week so Road time would be weekends which is taken up with family, house, life, walking and my Wolesley. I decided it was all too much pressure so purchased a Husky 125 below and will enjoy getting the experience and do my DAS in the Autumn or next year.

Do what ever your comfortable with, a 125 is still a quick machine unless you want to pin your balls at 150 all the time! For me the bike is easier to use than a Car between villages and quicker to Park.

I’ll follow your thread JJ as am in the same boat as you…

49A4F20D-70C6-4230-BD38-13BF75EC6E0D.jpeg

929D4473-6E06-4634-9237-885EC631E5A4.jpeg

D4C77D7A-6C15-43D9-A616-9A33D3B9C340.jpeg

On 2/26/2023 at 9:52 PM, S2000 said:

I’m doing exactly the same as you, did my CBT for the third time (been riding around for 15 years on and off) on the third of December 2022, heneously fucking cold!! Move to January this year and while having one of the fleet MOT’d I purchased a 2011 Honda PCX125to go to and from the unit and get some Road time before doing my DAS in April….. however…… I work about 50 hours a week so Road time would be weekends which is taken up with family, house, life, walking and my Wolesley. I decided it was all too much pressure so purchased a Husky 125 below and will enjoy getting the experience and do my DAS in the Autumn or next year.

Do what ever your comfortable with, a 125 is still a quick machine unless you want to pin your balls at 150 all the time! For me the bike is easier to use than a Car between villages and quicker to Park.

I’ll follow your thread JJ as am in the same boat as you…

49A4F20D-70C6-4230-BD38-13BF75EC6E0D.jpeg

929D4473-6E06-4634-9237-885EC631E5A4.jpeg

D4C77D7A-6C15-43D9-A616-9A33D3B9C340.jpeg

When I learnt to ride if I didn't pass my test within two years I'd have been banned from riding for a year.

Did you know that when I was a boy all of this was fields? 

Would you like a Werther's Original?