Renault 21 Monaco - starter query

dollywobbler

Hi folksInspired by the Fuego love, and feeling refreshed after a nice break oop north, I attacked the 21 today. Starter isn't starting, so I thought I'd whip it off for a look-see. I've got three bolts out, but it still doesn't want to shift. How many bolts are there holding this thing in?! Access isn't a whole heap of fun, as the entire induction system gets in the way. Any help appreciated!Of course, I should really be working on the 2CV, which still has mahoosive exhaust leaks after I failed to refit the crossbox successfully. But that was inside the garage, and it was actually quite nice out!

If it's not budging, it's either seized onto the gearbox housing, or the starter gear is seized onto the flywheel. Either way, give it a proper whack with a hammer, assuming all the bolts are out. ;)I got mine repaired professionally for 55 quid (brand new motor and solenoid), which was well worth it as it now starts 'on the button', it does make the difference.

I would take care about walloping starters, theres usually enough oil and vibration around to stop em seizing in. I bet theres another bolt off the back end of the starter into the engine block, and when you undo it, the starter will obligingly drop off and crush your hand into the gravel beneath.

Thanks. I may go and give it a gentle nudge as from what I can see, there should just be the three bolts. I don't think they've been out since the car was new as two were very reluctant to get turning (you know in that way that you increase pressure on the ratchet, just waiting for it to slip and for you to slice your arm open on something sharp!)