Wibble’s Wittering - Cortina, Senator & occasional Skoda & family ramblings, soz!

Wibble

Using the Senator again this weekend and the stereo is being a bit hit and miss. I’ve found a few more of my old tapes but only two so far play ok, for a bit. Some play fine for a while then go slow and some play far too fast.

Not sure yet whether it’s the old tapes or dodgy cassette deck. Also, radio doesn’t want to find any stations other than the local one preset years ago and that’s cutting in and out. I wanted to keep the original stereo but may have to think again🤔

• 2 weeks later...

We’re hitting the road again tomorrow and heading back to Scottyland to visit my mum for half term. We were meant to go for Christmas as it was first since dad died, but she had heart surgery at a a few hours notice  a few days before. FIL was also admitted to hospital in Reading and spent Christmas in there so we had to stay home.

Turkey and trimmings were frozen when Christmas was put on hold, so Christmas dinner is Sunday😋

Route as usual is A34, M40, M42, M6, M74, M8 so if you spot us, give us  a toot! Silver Superb estate (more grey at the moment as filthy) PF15VXK👍

Thought I’d better give mum’s car a quick check whilst I’m here and check the oil level:

DE58A740-D9E4-4770-B246-D44F4AA038A3.thumb.jpeg.2cdddfa29398accfcb12497896cad635.jpeg

The only place to have checked this is the main dealer that serviced it. Dad wasn’t able and there is no oil here for him to have used to over fill it anyway. Anyone think this is so much as to cause a problem? I have no tools with me so can’t do much about it now anyway. Despite it doing less than 2000 miles a year, he still got it serviced every year at a main dealer. I was going to tell mum not to bother this year but now feel this really should be corrected.

That does look a fair bit over filled tbh. Can you get to the oil filter? Maybe (carefully!) remove that and pour the excess oil out? Might need to do that, then run it, turn off and take full filter off again a few times though to get enough excess oil out!!

Failing that it’s probably easier to just go buy a cheap adjustable spanner and whip the sump plug out quick, let it drain into cut open milk bottle or something. 

Or you could stick a thin tube down the dip stick tube and start sucking!😆

8 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

That does look a fair bit over filled tbh. Can you get to the oil filter? Maybe (carefully!) remove that and pour the excess oil out? Might need to do that, then run it, turn off and take full filter off again a few times though to get enough excess oil out!!

Failing that it’s probably easier to just go buy a cheap adjustable spanner and whip the sump plug out quick, let it drain into cut open milk bottle or something. 

Or you could stick a thin tube down the dip stick tube and start sucking!😆

🤣I’ve already said we need a long straw. I’ll have a look tomorrow, must be something here I can drain a bit into and I seem to remember dad’s “comprehensive” tool kit might include an adjustable. Cheers Dan👍

2 minutes ago, Wibble said:

🤣I’ve already said we need a long straw. I’ll have a look tomorrow, must be something here I can drain a bit into and I seem to remember dad’s “comprehensive” tool kit might include an adjustable. Cheers Dan👍

I accidentally overfilled an auto gearbox once and needed to drain some fluid out, no drain plug either so I fed a length of screen wash pipe down the dipstick tube and stuck a big old plastic syringe on the end and used that to suck oil out. Slow but did the job!

Can't say I'm surprised.   A friend got her car serviced at a Vauxhall dealer and it turned out they failed to drain the old oil, just added the required quantity of fresh oil, so it had roughly twice as much oil in as it should have.

Having admitted their mistake, they still tried to claim that the blown seals were unrelated!

Bloody hell that’s shocking! I’ve drained a bit off mum’s now via sump with an adjustable. A bit messy but did the job. She’s going to get it serviced anyway as it has spent most of the last year parked up but it won’t be done next year and being honest, I think her driving days are numbered.

Back home today, just under 8 hours but still knackered. Only bit that pissed me off was a few miles of M6 that is currently a 50 limit with average speed cameras. No problem with that but I was in lane two with cruise set at 53 with line of cars at same speed in front when I had an artic 12” off my rear blowing the horn. Lane one was full so nowhere to go, although I moved over when there was room but fucks sake! Why does the limit not apply to him?! He then carried on barging others out of the way, British plates but completely unmarked unfortunately, or I would have broken the habit of a lifetime and emailed the company. I really hope the average speed cameras caught the cunt but doubt it, wanker! No fucking need for this.

17 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

If his limiter was set at 56mph, there's effectively no way for him to get caught speeding in a 50 by unmanned cameras

I know, doesn’t excuse him being a twat and I’ll bet he wouldn’t have behaved like that in a liveried wagon.

On 15/02/2023 at 19:35, Wibble said:

Back home today, just under 8 hours but still knackered. Only bit that pissed me off was a few miles of M6 that is currently a 50 limit with average speed cameras. No problem with that but I was in lane two with cruise set at 53 with line of cars at same speed in front when I had an artic 12” off my rear blowing the horn. Lane one was full so nowhere to go, although I moved over when there was room but fucks sake! Why does the limit not apply to him?! He then carried on barging others out of the way, British plates but completely unmarked unfortunately, or I would have broken the habit of a lifetime and emailed the company. I really hope the average speed cameras caught the cunt but doubt it, wanker! No fucking need for this.

I’ve seen lorrries in a convoy or just pairs speeding through average speed camera road works. Presumably the camera clocks the front plate on the  front one but can’t see it’s rear plate.

On 15/02/2023 at 19:35, Wibble said:

Do you know it was a true 53, or just 53 on your Speedo. 

Not condoning tailgating, but it can be irritating when people think they are doing the limit, and they are not. 

That stretch was something I had a grump about last summer. Exact same scenario.  It was proper pissing down too. I was tail gated at a true 50 mph in the middle lane. Came up on a car doing less (which was being undertaken by cars and trucks). Luckily there was a gap in lane 3 and I moved into that to overtake. Then I watched the truck that was 2 foot off my bumper flashing his lights and using his horn. What a twat. Just before coming out of the restricted zone the truck was up my chuff again, so it was nice to get back to 70,  and loose the fucker  

Anyway I was on a speed awareness course and they discussed the tailgating issue (This is why some people speed).  And they kept on about the 2 second rule. And added a new version. 

If the tail gated behind hasn't left 2 seconds between you and him, increase the gap in front of you to compensate. Yes slow down until the gap is 4 seconds to the vehicle in front.  That way if the shit is happening in front, he still has time to react. 

That's official policy on a speed awareness course. 

On 15/02/2023 at 20:02, danthecapriman said:

Chuck a handful of pennies out the window and watch them all bounce off his windscreen!😆 

A mate of mine did that once to a tailgater! He soon sodded off.

Er.... no....

On 13/02/2023 at 16:52, Wibble said:

Thought I’d better give mum’s car a quick check whilst I’m here and check the oil level:

DE58A740-D9E4-4770-B246-D44F4AA038A3.thumb.jpeg.2cdddfa29398accfcb12497896cad635.jpeg

The only place to have checked this is the main dealer that serviced it. Dad wasn’t able and there is no oil here for him to have used to over fill it anyway. Anyone think this is so much as to cause a problem? I have no tools with me so can’t do much about it now anyway. Despite it doing less than 2000 miles a year, he still got it serviced every year at a main dealer. I was going to tell mum not to bother this year but now feel this really should be corrected.

You need the Lidl 12v oil pump. 20 seconds and you'd have that sorted. 

4 hours ago, New POD said:

Er.... no....

It wasn’t a serious suggestion!

That same guy once got into a road rage situation with someone on the motorway. It ended up them both chasing each other for miles. In the end he came off on a slip road but got stuck at traffic lights at the end. The other rager pulled up in the lane next to him and started having a go, so my mate opened his window, leaned out and opened the passenger door on the other guys car then drove off as the lights changed leaving the rager stuck on the slip road junction with an open passenger door! He never saw him after that.

Im surprised he never got himself in the shit tbh. Absolutely crazy.

7 hours ago, New POD said:

Do you know it was a true 53, or just 53 on your Speedo. 

Not condoning tailgating, but it can be irritating when people think they are doing the limit, and they are not. 

That stretch was something I had a grump about last summer. Exact same scenario.  It was proper pissing down too. I was tail gated at a true 50 mph in the middle lane. Came up on a car doing less (which was being undertaken by cars and trucks). Luckily there was a gap in lane 3 and I moved into that to overtake. Then I watched the truck that was 2 foot off my bumper flashing his lights and using his horn. What a twat. Just before coming out of the restricted zone the truck was up my chuff again, so it was nice to get back to 70,  and loose the fucker  

Anyway I was on a speed awareness course and they discussed the tailgating issue (This is why some people speed).  And they kept on about the 2 second rule. And added a new version. 

If the tail gated behind hasn't left 2 seconds between you and him, increase the gap in front of you to compensate. Yes slow down until the gap is 4 seconds to the vehicle in front.  That way if the shit is happening in front, he still has time to react. 

That's official policy on a speed awareness course. 

True 53

2 hours ago, Wibble said:

Woke up yesterday feeling absolutely horrendous. Blinding headache, shivers, sweats and no better today. Just tested positive for Covid for the first time. Fuck this! Honestly thought I was going to get away without catching this shit after all this time.

Hope you feel better soon mate.  Lots of sleep.

Woke up yesterday feeling absolutely horrendous. Blinding headache, shivers, sweats and no better today. Just tested positive for Covid for the first time. Fuck this! Honestly thought I was going to get away without catching this shit after all this time.

Shit! Take it easy, hope you get better soon.

Get well soon! All the best to you.

Thanks all, it really isn’t nice! Mrs W and Wiblet senior also positive but feel like they’ve just got colds. Everyone was fine until sister turned up at mum’s last week saying she thought she had a cold and her boyfriend was ill. Next it was Mrs W (no immune system due to blood disease) then eldest, then brother, then mum. Just glad we got home before I got symptoms as there is no way I could have driven yesterday or today.