Wibble’s Wittering - Cortina, Senator & occasional Skoda & family ramblings, soz!

Wibble

• 1 month later...

Got to work this morning and removed the veneered panel from the dash:

FFF27F82-9CF2-488D-B951-90AB9F560DF2.thumb.jpeg.ef5b76b6902ce1edc3e100dcbc94e717.jpegThen stripper was applied:

F7F06216-012F-4423-B982-727FF2C7224E.thumb.jpeg.00c16dcc54aa7e78b2337eb706ca424b.jpegOnce stripped, the veneer was found to be loose along the narrow top and bottom sections of the instrument surround, so these were re-glued 

77C1C794-1677-49C3-84CD-FF42C59C1DD4.thumb.jpeg.7c3852775295311b25784397e269969c.jpegOnce dried, the panel was lightly sanded and given a base coat

BB83DE33-D90B-420C-B8D7-0DB124F96D48.thumb.jpeg.673f2f3456365597c81d1e4b06bc9609.jpegSeveral coats of semi-gloss lacquer will be applied tomorrow but it’s looking good I think.

Whilst this was being done, I noticed the Perspex over the instruments was quite cloudy, so tried some cutting compound. Not sure these before and after pics really show it but there is a big difference in clarity now😀

C8771359-255E-4D6C-94B8-2AF6913A0E34.thumb.jpeg.527fd4c25e2e4a6e4b173fd57daacf4f.jpeg31704EED-4C8B-4CBB-8096-609292C99B60.thumb.jpeg.bdc3a2511ceed830af862423128b7b0e.jpegI’ll update tomorrow, hopefully with final results.

The last of the Cortinas , and everything after, seemed to be wood “effect” rather than actual wood, but this is genuine walnut veneer on ply. There is a dash on eBay at the moment listed as mark 3 2000E cortina that is clearly very late Mk5 (hazard & hrw  switches a dead give away) and it looks plastic. I’m now on the hunt for a hazard switch that the symbol hasn’t worn off of yet but I’m not prepared to pay £50 for one!

40 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

I seem to remember my Crusader had real wood door cappings but wood effect everywhere else. But it was a long time ago so may be misremembering

I think you might be right about the door capping actually. Back in the early nineties my mate had a Caribbean blue crusader when I had a Caribbean blue 1.6L and his door cappings seemed like real wood.

I am not sure if its one of these unusual magazine that WH Smith sometimes sell or if its online only but this is the link to purchase online.  There is a 6 page feature on your car, plus a lot of other Cortina features as well as a Mk1 Transit ambulance and the Original Sweeney Consul GT

Interestingly its the latest issue, which is odd given it seems to be from some time ago, so I wonder if that has featured in a previous classic car magazine and these guys just put together articles from elsewhere in a souvenir type magazine

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/issue/View/issue/ACF006/ford-memories-6-shaping-britain

On 3/16/2022 at 9:21 PM, Wibble said:

wood “effect” rather than actual wood,

I can’t find a citation, so this may be bunkum, but I was told while on a Morgan factory tour that safety regulations dictate real wood can’t be used for dashboards to prevent splintering and staking you through the chest like a vampire. Fibreboard and vaneer only. No idea when that came in, or if it is real. My lasting memory was that a safety talk coming from Morgan was a bit rich. 

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

I am not sure if its one of these unusual magazine that WH Smith sometimes sell or if its online only but this is the link to purchase online.  There is a 6 page feature on your car, plus a lot of other Cortina features as well as a Mk1 Transit ambulance and the Original Sweeney Consul GT

Interestingly its the latest issue, which is odd given it seems to be from some time ago, so I wonder if that has featured in a previous classic car magazine and these guys just put together articles from elsewhere in a souvenir type magazine

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/issue/View/issue/ACF006/ford-memories-6-shaping-britain

Thanks for this. I have previously seen a photo of my car in an article on line about Cortina prices by Classics World (Kelsey) but was unaware of this and will now order a copy👍

18 minutes ago, rob88h said:

I can’t find a citation, so this may be bunkum, but I was told while on a Morgan factory tour that safety regulations dictate real wood can’t be used for dashboards to prevent splintering and staking you through the chest like a vampire. Fibreboard and vaneer only. No idea when that came in, or if it is real. My lasting memory was that a safety talk coming from Morgan was a bit rich. 

Yes, safety talk from Morgan, hilarious 😆

Ford Memories mag, or “bookazine” as they call it, arrived today and it is great to see my car in print. Don’t know when they saw it but it’s had a fair bit of paint since. I do wonder though if they did actually drive it. They say they road tested it but then describe the “light and progressive” clutch and the steering being “unassisted but light enough not to notice”. They can’t have driven it, unless it has all seriously seized up since then!

As I’ve mentioned before, the steering and clutch in this are horribly heavy and stiff, unlike any other cortina I’ve driven, not to mention the brakes, which feel completely unassisted (although all hopefully soon to be addressed now lighter evenings and better weather is arriving).

There is also a mistake, not unusual for Kelsey unfortunately . They mention the auto choke and pumping the throttle to set it in the VV carb. The VV was later on the mark 5. Mine has an auto choke, but it’s a twin choke Webber and sets with one pump perfectly. 

As for mistakes, later in this edition, they talk about the Mk1 Mondeo auto, with it’s three speed autobox!

Sorry, rant over, as you were😁

• 2 weeks later...

Fired up the Senator today for the first time this year. Started first time, as always, and drove well although the water pump is gradually getting more vocal.

What was odd though is that the stereo is working fine again after it refusing to play last year 😀Must have been down to damp.

I have a new water pump and heater matrix for it and hope to do these soon but my useless bloody back is causing me grief after only short periods of tinkering and although I’ve also accumulated ball joints, clutch cable, steering knuckle and fuel sender unit for the Cortina, I may well have to farm these jobs out now🙁

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, I hope everyone’s enjoying the long weekend. I have a couple of questions that I’d love some thoughts/feedback on:

This is the Cortina engine bay at the moment:

256C8738-AD01-4154-B182-E4FF8252AF66.thumb.jpeg.e3eb56554b46f1c1ada192ca3de95dbb.jpeg

It’s rather better than shown in it’s recent magazine feature but what colour should the rocker cover be on this, blue or black? It’s a 1977 2.0GL for those that don’t know. I don’t like the chrome one on it at the moment.

I like originality but how far do you go to stick with this? I’d like a near side door mirror but it has never had one. It was an option but would it be wrong to add one now?

Finally, what’s the general opinion on electronic ignition? I have an Accuspark distributor, coil, plugs and leads but haven’t fitted them due to the originality aspect, plus mixed comments I’ve seen.

I’d really appreciate any thoughts or comments 🙂