Criminal Shite

sierraman

Whenever you read about ‘wrong uns’ Someone will always quote the Mk2 Jag of the sixties being the de facto choice of the criminal. I remember in the early 2000’s the Shogun or more likely a Pajero being the chariot of choice for someone who might break your legs over £50. Anyone else recall what shite was driven by the stereotypical criminal? 

There were lots of the old 4x4 Subaru estates and hatches being used by illegal coarsing and hunting ‘types’ out in the sticks. Usually driven by a grubby tracksuit wearing scroat with a few greyhound’s on board.

The Subaru Justy and whatever the bigger estate car was called, I can’t remember now. It’s been ages since I saw one.

6 minutes ago, danthecapriman said:

There were lots of the old 4x4 Subaru estates and hatches being used by illegal coarsing and hunting ‘types’ out in the sticks. Usually driven by a grubby tracksuit wearing scroat with a few greyhound’s on board.

The Subaru Justy and whatever the bigger estate car was called, I can’t remember now. It’s been ages since I saw one.

Forrester or a Legacy?

I remember an aging 7 series especially if garnished with aftermarket wheels, arch chrome and blacked windows was seen as a popular choice amongst drug dealers.

Many years ago I had a 1978 Audi 100E 5 cylinder model, but it was getting a bit rusty and was starting to cost me money on other repairs. I tried selling it privately via the local newspaper, but the only phone calls I got was from other publications trying to sell me advertising space. I eventually got fed up and put it into the local auction. From memory, I got about 400 quid.

A few days later I had Mr Plod turn up at my door asking questions about the car and it turns out the car was used in a security van robbery in Glasgow the weekend after I sold it. It made perfect sense as a criminal's getaway car. It was cheap to buy, had lots of grunt plus loads of room for passengers and the boot was huge for the storage of stolen cash. Good job I had kept the auction receipt.

Audi S3 seems to be the chariot of choice these days.  BMWs and Range Rovers have been popular for some years; as said above, usually in King Of The Council Estate spec.  Before them, it was Jags, certainly all the way to the XJ6 S3, maybe not so much when the XJ40 came out.  Also, there's always been a perception that anyone with an American car must be up to something.

Range Rovers are still a popular baddie motor in No Time To Die...

I once sold a lovely 2.0 Xantia VSX to some very odd scallies who didn't even want to test drive it , knock on the door a couple of mornings later from plod as it had been used in a crime and left with it's doors wide open in Chester, they wouldn't cough as to what the crime was but it seemed summat serious an I later got a letter from a storage company asking me to collect it, I was tempted as I had a spare key but left it alone  

Always Range Rovers and BMWs here.  In fact when I bought the current Mrs colino the first of a line of BMWs many years ago, her commute took her through a leafy estate called Ferguslie Park.  She was stopped by plod twice there before they updated their intel about that particular shiny black car.

Round here at the moment it seems to be various S and RS badged Audis and W204/W205 Mercedes C Classes, depending on the success of the individual's 'enterprises'. Although there is one guy, who seems to call at a lot of home addresses late at night, in a recent model Kia Sportage (probably for 'stealth'.).

37 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Audi S3 seems to be the chariot of choice these days.  BMWs and Range Rovers have been popular for some years; as said above, usually in King Of The Council Estate spec.  Before them, it was Jags, certainly all the way to the XJ6 S3, maybe not so much when the XJ40 came out.  Also, there's always been a perception that anyone with an American car must be up to something.

Range Rovers are still a popular baddie motor in No Time To Die...

The Kray twins had a few Jags of various models, and they had a Ford Galaxie too. True connoisseurs! 

New York gangster and drug dealer extraordinaire Frank Lucas had a Lincoln Continental. 
Cadillac’s were popular amongst the mob, and other ‘outfits’ back in the good old days too!

24 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Also, there's always been a perception that anyone with an American car must be up to something.

That's what a customer of mine told me. He fancied US stuff back in the day (he's more into Morris Minors now) and showed up to his future family in law in a  scruffy Fury III. They were... rather suspicious of him at first.

Anyway, real (aspiring) criminals don't seem to have much imagination or common sense and often choose German models with tasteful* mods nowadays, the kind that shouts "search my car, I'm up to no good" from a mile away. We have a monthly auction of vehicles that were seized by the police here, and most are  Golfs, A-Classes, BMWs and Audis with shiny big wheels, lowered and occasionally wrapped. 

1 hour ago, DVee8 said:

A cozzwurf for a ramraid of Gateshead Metro Centre, driving around the malls.

I worked in parts for a Honda dealer in the late 80's, and the dealer principal bought a Sierra Cozzy to sell on. I can't remember exactly how, but it got nicked on a test drive, never seen again.

Wrapped....?

I'm (saddo, I know...) not really a follower of £££ metal/bragging rights @winebar Spec cars.

I have seen a prodigiously expensive *looking Merc about the place.... Matt/Cammo Green *wrapped.

First time I saw it I thought 'lyke..ehh?'.

*ProJob.... No gaps!! 👍

When I used to hang around the periphery of the motor trade doing odd jobs as a student the traders used to know a few people who I was told were 'properly naughty' and they all used to favour dull-looking cars which were a bit quick, mostly saloon cars for some reason.  Things like Cavalier SRi130 saloons, dull coloured Sapphire Cosworths and so on.  I've no idea what they'd choose today - they're probably spoilt for choice for fast dull cars now!