Autoshite cars which are ULEZ compliant (excluding 40+ year old cars)

AndaBoss

17 hours ago, D.E said:

Would a later Perodua be compliant? They're very shite...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324806491035?hash=item4b9ff9bb9b:g:7NYAAOSwsxNhVqGy

Yes that one is compliant. I looked it up on the TFL ULEZ checker. It looks magnificent and is very similar to the Daihatsu Move I had many years ago. Great car as a general utility vehicle, but a bit rubbish on the motorway. You wouldn't want to be in an accident in any car, but particularly not in that one.

4 hours ago, N19 said:

Is there a way of finding out about whether cars before the official cut off are compliant? Is it a case of trying to find out manufacturer information? I know it's 2005 by standard, but some were ahead of the time. Specifically a W-reg Mondeo...

Afraid not, nothing pre-2001 will be as they didn't record emissions on the V5.

dont quote me on this

but I think if you can prove that your car does indeed meet the ULEZ emissions standards you can manually register it with them so you dont get unduly charged

I know you can do so for motorcycles and foreign registered vehicles that they cant automatically look up

https://www.epcplc.com/ulez/login

but I recommend you do your own research, I have not looked too deeply into it, because to get round the whole issue I just got a vehicle thats well into the historic vehicle taxation class :) 

4 hours ago, N19 said:

Is there a way of finding out about whether cars before the official cut off are compliant? Is it a case of trying to find out manufacturer information? I know it's 2005 by standard, but some were ahead of the time. Specifically a W-reg Mondeo...

ULEZ Check | Use our ULEZ Checker to see if your vehicle is compliant

Check your vehicle (tfl.gov.uk)

I use these sites when looking through ebay

22 hours ago, D.E said:

Would a later Perodua be compliant? They're very shite...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324806491035?hash=item4b9ff9bb9b:g:7NYAAOSwsxNhVqGy

I had a Kenari as my daily for a while.  Useful little thing, quite nippy up to about 60 and loads of room inside for such a tiny car.  Also did an amusing line in roll oversteer in the wet.  Didn't like crosswinds very much though.  Or headwinds come to think of it.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in the thread, it’s certainly been mentioned elsewhere but you can filter adverts on auto trader by ulez compliance which throws up some unexpected ones- there was a ‘97 vectra on there that was compliant 

12 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Two, identical Astras. Ones compliant and one is not. Both rattly isuzu diesel 30 quid tax jobbies.  Tho i believe the black car was re registered in mid 2004 on another plate.

Screenshot_20211009-192822.thumb.png.ca2512e773aa35996efd6c21b8ff149e.png

Screenshot_20211009-192743.thumb.png.e726172ad1aa44d38de7d13177c8ec4b.png

thats interesting! KE53UVH is actually an import from somewhere not simply a plate transfer jobby, I wonder what its story is...

image.thumb.png.afaf4906f1217dfa0ada311d959cb62b.png

both would normally be stung by ULEZ as it especially shits all over diesel vehicles (you have to be like Euro 6 compliant which was only made mandatory in 2015 or something such)

but clearly because of how KE53UVH was registered it causes the checker (and the ANPR? only one way to find out! LOL) to think it is ULEZ compliant, I guess because some emissions data is missing from its DVLA record?

or its treating it as a petrol vehicle for some reason? whatever the case its most peculiar... 

My guess is that its from ireland or something but then i think they were opels in southern ireland.

My other halfs jimny was a write off in ireland But when it was registered here it lost that and its previous owners. So shes the second owner.

Ive no need to go to that there london but if its "compliant" im alright with that.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:35 AM, AndaBoss said:

So does anyone know of any cars from a similar or older age (excluding 40+ year old classics) which are decently reliable and also ULEZ compliant which I can also consider for my first car?

Prices are a bit salty but it seems jimnys are compliant.  Good for city driving / parking.

19 hours ago, AndaBoss said:

Has anyone found a site that shows both ULEZ compliance and vehicle tax amount in one place? I find both are potentially-expensive complications to car hunting these days. The tax for similar cars can vary a lot depending on the year they were registered. 

3 hours ago, Asimo said:

Not compliant according to  https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/ !

CD308BF8-F644-47D5-9CDC-851C4A9EF9D6.jpeg

thats only showing one charge, a Congestion charge, which in proper central London (where ULEZ is currently operating before it expands on the 25th) which applies to pretty much all vehicles regardless of age or status (unless its like a Motorcycle or a vehicle that has a blue badge or is in the disabled taxation class)

but its not showing any ULEZ related charges, so @Six-cylinder has nothing to worry about :) his (and hers) alfa is ULEZ compliant :)

if it was not ULEZ compliant it would show something like so, note the "Two Charges Apply to this vehicle" where as the Alfa only says "One charge applies to this vehicle"

image.thumb.png.d3b3912b5f85ea2c1e59973ed66c036e.png

On 10/8/2021 at 2:05 PM, SRi05 said:

I had a Y Reg Astra Coupe recently that was surprisingly ULEZ compliant

MR2 Roadsters (1999 onwards) are ULEZ compliant too. Strangely, a 1 Litre Yaris from the same year isn't.

Honda Civics (2001 onwards) the 1.4i is. It's not a bad motor either.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:37 PM, Dan29 said:

Has anyone found a site that shows both ULEZ compliance and vehicle tax amount in one place? I find both are potentially-expensive complications to car hunting these days. The tax for similar cars can vary a lot depending on the year they were registered. 

I haven't, but the important year is 2001.

Anything before is simple: up to 1549cc is £170. Over is £280.

Over 2001 though is totally different.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

What's ironic is that many 1.8 and 2L cars are cheaper post 2001 than pre. The MR2 mentioned above is 175g CO2. So pre 2001 cars are £280. Anything post is £275.

There are much more extreme ones too. An Astra MkIV 1.7 DTi is £130 post 2001 but £280 on a 2000 plate. It's exactly the same car. 130g CO2.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:46 PM, AndaBoss said:

Thank you. I quite like the Fiat Seicento

I learned to drive over 6 months in a Seicento 1.1 back in 2016. They are far from the worst car, (despite what some will say) and a good starting point into DIY shite maintenance. Basically the same underpinnings as the Panda, nice and basic and easy to work on. Galvanised bodies too, so rust is not an issue like it is in other similar age chod, and ours always did high 40s to the gallon being driven like it was nicked!

Popped the head gasket while dad was driving it in the end, just after I did my test. Sadly I was not the enlightened being I am today and didn't have the tools or nouse to mend it, but I'm assured it is a simple job as they come. Ours didn't go till 125,000 miles too, which isn't bad on these engines. Any advice on Seicentos or other small stuff, do ask, I'm in the 'young driver' category still, at 23! 

16 minutes ago, AxWomble said:

I learned to drive over 6 months in a Seicento 1.1 back in 2016. They are far from the worst car, (despite what some will say) and a good starting point into DIY shite maintenance. Basically the same underpinnings as the Panda, nice and basic and easy to work on. Galvanised bodies too, so rust is not an issue like it is in other similar age chod, and ours always did high 40s to the gallon being driven like it was nicked!

Popped the head gasket while dad was driving it in the end, just after I did my test. Sadly I was not the enlightened being I am today and didn't have the tools or nouse to mend it, but I'm assured it is a simple job as they come. Ours didn't go till 125,000 miles too, which isn't bad on these engines. Any advice on Seicentos or other small stuff, do ask, I'm in the 'young driver' category still, at 23! 

I had a Cinquecento Sporting as a courtesy car when someone hit my wonderful chod* a few years ago.

It was great. Probably a similar experience that you get with a Kei Car - like driving a go cart. Teeny wheels, but funny as anything.

*Said chod was a 7 year old Vauxhall Carlton that I bought a year earlier for £3k - a veritable bargain as the Omega had then come out.

5 hours ago, Roverageous said:

*Broken Record Klaxon*

2.0V6 Rover 75s sneak nicely under the radar. My 2001 2.0 V6 Auto isn't affected by the ULEZ in London, or any other of the chargeable "Clean Air Zones". It seems that the 2.5V6 may have issues specifically in Birmingham, where you'd need to pay a charge.

Are there many differences in running costs and reliability of the 1.8 4cyl and 2.0 v6 engines? Especially as a first car

On 10/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, Roverageous said:

I haven't found too much - the 1.8 I had only managed 25mpg (it may have been ill!) But my 2.0v6 usually averages around 30mpg. The V6 is a MUCH more reliable engine, and if it's looked after will go on and on...

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

Would a Rover 75 2.0 v6 be difficult to insure as a first car?

I've heard from a few people to get a car with a small engine, however they are talking about modern cars and I see that older cars are cheaper to insure

5 hours ago, AndaBoss said:

Would a Rover 75 2.0 v6 be difficult to insure as a first car?

I've heard from a few people to get a car with a small engine, however they are talking about modern cars and I see that older cars are cheaper to insure

Often, the cars that are not chosen by young people, are chosen by old people. Who tend not to crash. So Honda Jazz vs 1.0 Corsa.

Which has lowest insurance?